Posting codes on Facebook

FunnyNose

When did it become acceptable to post coins/travelbugs codes of coins/travelbugs that you own to Facebook pages ?

Just seems very lame.

Since you own them what's acceptable is really up to you. Not saying it's cool (I think it's stupid. They're travel bugs not cyberspace codes) just that it isn't really up to others what the owners do.

I once heard, actually, MORE than a couple of times that Posting your codes and letting all those virtually "claim" a discovered,could get the trackable "Locked" ?? Now, don't quote me. But, I thought it was bad juju to use that practice??

That was my understanding as well. I looked through the knowledge base and found nothing.

From the Help Center:

Trackables "discovered" without the logger physically interacting with them is discouraged by Geocaching.com.

In the same article it also states:

Some Trackable owners enjoy gaining a large number of logs, regardless of finds being in person, or "virtual"

Since Groundspeak has recently added the ability for Trackable Owners to Lock their Trackables, it sounds like the intent is for the Commmunity to police itself.

Link for reference:

Dealing with Bogus Trackable Logs

To end this statistic pushing stuff it might be a good idea to finally introduce a "boost my statistics"-button. Press it once, and your profile shows 1,000,000 logs more than before from now on (for caches and for trackables...) :rolleyes:<_< - then the boosters are happy, because they can log all challenge caches that require stuff. And everyone else is happy, because you can see who did that.

Finally the game would be back to what it really is about: getting outside, having fun.

To end this statistic pushing stuff it might be a good idea to finally introduce a "boost my statistics"-button. Press it once, and your profile shows 1,000,000 logs more than before from now on (for caches and for trackables...) :rolleyes:<_< - then the boosters are happy, because they can log all challenge caches that require stuff. And everyone else is happy, because you can see who did that.

Finally the game would be back to what it really is about: getting outside, having fun.

Absolutely agree !!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ... :lol:

Someone wrote me a message asking whether he could log my cache that he couldn't find - he was even there with two others who were the cache's last finders, just a week before. He even sent me a picture of the empty place where the magnetic keyholder was supposed to be. I checked on the cache location and the container was lying in some leaves, less than 20 inches (50 cm) away, logbook completely dry and sound. I wrote back that I expected three DNF now... and learnt that not everything is couch logged, even today.

Back to topic:

Latest "trick" to improve the number of logged trackables seems to be to randomly enter UNxxxx- or JPxxxx-tracking codes and log those when finding an activated Diabetes TB or Jeep. In these cases the 'owners' don't care, so there are >35,000 potential logs. And suddenly those items are found again after a long time (some of them the first time...).