I'm a TOTAL-NEWBIE to Geocaching looking for recommendations

TexasbornDutchman

I am a total-Newbie to Geocaching.

I hear / read too much about comparing Handheld GPS-units vs. downloadable aps. on telephones and other wireless devices.

Which type of unit should work best in the open country vs. in-between buildings / large obstructions?

And which type offers Free service without requiring me to connect via WiFi or using my precious memory on my Android handheld device?

Thanks for re's.

E-mail: cvanblom@gmail.com

I started geocaching earlier this year. I downloaded the app (pay app) onto my phone. After about a month, I realized I needed a GPS. I was really enjoying my new hobby, but where I live, cell service can be spotty. Sometimes the phone app didn't do me any good. I still turn to my phone the most, mainly because of the map on the iphone. But if I am having trouble locating a cache or if the phone just has me going in circles, I use the GPS.

You don't need cell service to use a cell phone app.

I've been caching for a few years now, and have always had an app (not the official one). I download free maps from Open Street Maps, download caches to my phone, and away I go!

You WILL have to use memory to have the downloaded maps and caches, though. It's either data or memory. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. :laughing: