Changing a waymark category

L0ne.R

Every once in a while someone submits an indoor man-made waterfall to the Man-Made Waterfall category. Then their submission gets declined because the description is:

Outdoor man-made waterfalls, with a minimum vertical fall of 5 feet and a continuous flow of water for most of the year. This includes waterfalls created by dams, aqueducts, weirs, hydro-electric power stations, garden waterfalls, sculptures, etc.

I started the Man-Made Waterfall category about 10 years ago. Back then gps use wasn't something you could do indoors - no reception indoors.

We've declined many Bass Pro waterfalls and other indoor falls.

If we change the description to include indoor waterfalls, I feel we may upset waymarkers who tried to submit their indoor falls over the years.

Would it be better to start a new Indoor Waterfalls category or change the description?

This is up to you. Whatever you decide, there are pros and cons.

It is not an easy task anymore to get a new category through peer review today, most new proposals fail. Extending the category is much easier.

Some people might be upset, but I don't think it would that many, and they can re-submit. Being upset is often not caused by the facts but by poor communication. If you clearly declare and explain the policy change on the category page, there will be no problem, I guess.

On the other hand, your justification is technically not correct. GPS receivers do still not work indoors and never will. Current smartphones use other technologies to calculate an indoor location; and Waymarking is still a GPS oriented game and thus an outdoor game in general. Do you feel that the category would benefit from the change? Then do it.

And wait for other responses. I do abstain, but I am just one.

It is not an easy task anymore to get a new category through peer review today, most new proposals fail. Extending the category is much easier.

Some people might be upset, but I don't think it would that many, and they can re-submit. Being upset is often not caused by the facts but by poor communication. If you clearly declare and explain the policy change on the category page, there will be no problem, I guess.

On the other hand, your justification is technically not correct. GPS receivers do still not work indoors and never will. Current smartphones use other technologies to calculate an indoor location; and Waymarking is still a GPS oriented game and thus an outdoor game in general. Do you feel that the category would benefit from the change? Then do it.

Concerning all points with your issue, fi67 says it well.

Concerning all points with your issue, fi67 says it well.

It'll be easier to leave it as is. We'd probably get swamped with Bass Pro waterfalls.