Move to Collection

playr2

One of the travel bugs in my inventory list has the option "move to collection". What is this for? Why would I do it?

The most common reason a Trackable is selected as "Collectible", is the Owner selected it without a particular plan. The "Collection" was designed for people who need a way to manage a lot of activated coins, especially their own coins that are in a binder carried to Events. The Collection is an Inventory area where you can remove a list of coins from view, which are not to travel. They won't show up in your Inventory, so that cleans up various lists. It's one of those "catch-all" features which serve more than one purpose, so it can be tough to explain, but I suggest that a Trackable designed to travel cache-to-cache be left unselected or "Not Collectible", unless the coin is being prepared for moving to a Collection. Otherwise, there should be special instructions on the Trackable's page. I see one in your Inventory that seems to be selected "Collectible" in error.

As TriciaG mentioned, a trackable that was moved to a Collection can get Discover or Note logs. Car TB decals are often placed into the Owner's Collection in order to limit the log possibilities, because some cachers just love to click things without thinking. Go figure. :laughing:

Edited by kunarion

I read on the intro app that it's okay to keep trackables that are marked collectable.

I checked, since for some reason I'd find that possibility entirely believable. :ph34r:

But the Intro App's text about Trackables is surprisingly good! :anicute:

By selecting "Collectible", assuming he is not click-happy and just messing around, the Owner intends to get the item into a Collection. I'd expect in the rare instance where he's placing a bunch of special personal coins (something like Moun10Bike coins), there would be specific info about what to do -- that they may be placed into one's Collection, properly logged. Never to be sold, or whatever restrictions. Just remember that logging a coin onto a Collection involves logs, so everyone can see who is holding it. That's completely different from pocketing a coin and never mentioning the theft (but no special settings are required for that to occur).

Edited by kunarion

Are you not seeing the part I am referring to about it being OK to keep trackables?

Nope. Without context, I can't tell what the App means.

But to be clear, if a Trackable is moved to a Collection, the idea is that it is kept by the person moving it to their Collection. So, yes, it may be kept, and the taker makes the proper logs so there's no confusion. If it's marked "Collectible" the person who will be adding it to his Collection should first be sure everything's in order. The Owner should, too. There should be clear communication between both parties. And if the Owner decides the Trackable no longer is to be in a Collection, the holder follows the Owners wishes.

The main thing to keep in mind is, these are trackable, and have Owners. Treat all property owners with respect. If Groundspeak has a policy that says otherwise, they don't need to say it in the App. They need to say it in the Geocaching Shop, so potential Owners know what the policy is.

As for the OP, if there's a question about why a coin is marked "Collectible", contact the Owner. The fact that it's marked "Collectible" does not automatically give permission for anybody to place it in their Collection. There are other possibilities, so be sure to ask. The coin in the OP has in the description that it is supposed to travel, so it would be likely that it is expected to continue doing so.

Edited by kunarion

I'm reading in the what are trackables section under can I keep them. I wish I were able to post a screen shot, but can't at this time.

Any particular App? I could post screen shots of the Official iPhone App, but this would be better suited in a new thread (probably a Feature Request kind of thread). The web site Help Center still has the same very poorly worded text it always had. So I'd expect the Apps to be the same, unless or until some day it gets fixed. At least stick with the "Don't Keep Me" policy, inscribed on TBs. "When in doubt, Don't Keep Trackables, always return them to caches". Text like that would help, since Geocachers seem easily confused about other people's property.

If a Trackable is marked "Collectible", and if the finder logs it into his Inventory, he can add it to his "Collection", and therefore keeps it, at the whims of the Owner, of course. Regardless of what occurs, the item remains the property of the Owner.

Edited by kunarion

I'm reading in the what are trackables section under can I keep them. I wish I were able to post a screen shot, but can't at this time.

Any particular App? I could post screen shots of the Official iPhone App, but this would be better suited in a new thread (probably a Feature Request kind of thread). The web site Help Center still has the same very poorly worded text it always had. So I'd expect the Apps to be the same, unless or until aome day it gets fixed.

If a Trackable is marked "Collectible", and if the finder logs it into his Inventory, he can add it to his "Collection", and therefore keeps it, at the whims of the Owner, of course. Regardless of what occurs, the item remains the property of the Owner.

I would agree, but that is not how it is written in the intro app.

It states: "However, some trackables are marked as collectable. This means you can add it to your collection and hang on to it."

It doesn't say anything about ownership, and I find it confusing.

It states: "However, some trackables are marked as collectable. This means you can add it to your collection and hang on to it."

If you think that's bad, the Help Center on Geocaching.com has this gem:

"Trackables in a collection tend to be collectible"

Groundspeak's choice of the words "collection" and "collectible" for the feature, was a horrible idea. And then when they further muddle the terms by interchanging the specific website features "Collection" and "Collectible" with the words "collection" and "collectible", and leave it that way, that's inexcusable. Yes, I would believe that the confusion is causing Trackables to be stolen. People read the strangely worded sentences, and say "hey, my collection is in my pocket, right?" Right. :ph34r:

I still have not found any actual text about such things in the Android App. Intro or paid?

Edited by kunarion

If you think that's bad, the Help Center on Geocaching.com has this gem:

"Trackables in a collection tend to be collectible"

Groundspeak's choice of the words "collection" and "collectible" for the feature, was a horrible idea. And then when they further muddle the terms by interchanging the specific website features "Collection" and "Collectible" with the words "collection" and "collectible", and leave it that way, that's inexcusable. Yes, I would believe that the confusion is causing Trackables to be stolen. People read the strangely worded sentences, and say "hey, my collection is in my pocket, right?" Right. :ph34r:

I still have not found any actual text about such things in the Android App. Intro or paid?

I'm reading it on the free intro app for Androids from Groundspeak.

Click on the magnifying glass icon, then trackable code, that should take you to the what are trackables section.

I'm reading it on the free intro app for Androids from Groundspeak.

Click on the magnifying glass icon, then trackable code, that should take you to the what are trackables section.

OK, I found it! That text sure needs some work, beyond the scope of this thread. It mentions that Trackables can be added to your collection and kept, yet even with several explanations about other features, there's no info about how such a "collection" (or did they mean the site feature called "Collection") works.

The text is bad, but the videos linked in the App are pretty good. They specifically say not to keep a Trackable "nomatter how cool it looks". So I'd hope that Groundspeak is open to making things more clear in the text portions of the site and App. Let's find out.

[EDIT: I typed a couple of Feature Requests. Here's hoping. :anicute:]

Edited by kunarion