Help with new style track menu in Montana 610

capt caper

I upgraded from a Montan 600 to the 610 for Glonass. But they changed the track menu to one like the Oregon I believe. What does pause do? Also the settings give choices of auto start which I don't understand yet. As well as auto pause.

About the current track screen (the one with the circle around the right facing arrow) there is an option for pause. When I pause it and go to trip computer it still is counting time but not on the current track screen... confusing to say the least.

Tell me how these new settings are used when say walking into the woods or trails.

Pause does just what it says... it pauses tracking. It's useful so that you don't accumulate birdsnests of points when you stop to take a break on your hike, or when you stop to search for a geocache, etc.

Auto pause detects that you're not moving and automatically pauses tracking. Auto start detects that you've started moving and will automatically resume tracking. The degree to which these work varies. When I'm tired and hiking slow, sometimes it will auto pause and won't auto start unless I'm moving fast enough, so I often disable these when hiking and backpacking on strenuous and steep terrain.

Pause does just what it says... it pauses tracking. It's useful so that you don't accumulate birdsnests of points when you stop to take a break on your hike, or when you stop to search for a geocache, etc.

Auto pause detects that you're not moving and automatically pauses tracking. Auto start detects that you've started moving and will automatically resume tracking. The degree to which these work varies. When I'm tired and hiking slow, sometimes it will auto pause and won't auto start unless I'm moving fast enough, so I often disable these when hiking and backpacking on strenuous and steep terrain.

Thanks...

It's what I figured...I noticed the 610 doesn't put down the same amount track points that my 600 did on the same hike I did this weekend. I had 4 saved 600 tracks to compare too. I had it set to most often as well. The 610 had put 940 points and the 600 4 saved showed close and consistent to 1400 points. And the lines of the track were on the outside of the other track lines. This is when zoomed in in Mapsource. You can see it very clearly in Mapsource these lines but not in BaseCamp.

I have used this new track menu and mostly it has been fine for my liking. But can I save the track and not have it be erased in the "current track" ? My Montana 600 could as the older Garmin hand helds.. Maybe doing "save a portion?" would do it?

Yes, somewhere there's an option to not delete the track upon saving, though I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll look at my Oregon later if nobody else comes up with a more specific reply. But yes, that option exists.

I have used this new track menu and mostly it has been fine for my liking. But can I save the track and not have it be erased in the "current track" ? My Montana 600 could as the older Garmin hand helds.. Maybe doing "save a portion?" would do it?

Yes, somewhere there's an option to not delete the track upon saving, though I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll look at my Oregon later if nobody else comes up with a more specific reply. But yes, that option exists.

It must be "save a portion" option then it keeps recording. But I hope it doesn't delete the "saved portion". I'll have to experiment.

I used it on a trail I have recorded before 4 times and saved tracks with my Montana 600 and this 610 is more precise. This is what I was looking for in upgrading. And my 3 yr old Montana 600 fetched $350 which is great. So I got a new and more accurate unit for $150 more..I'm pleased.

On my 650...

Press....Track Mgr., Current Track, Save Track, Name Track (or accept default), OK, then the next screen that comes up says that the track was saved as "xxxx" and gives you the option of clearing the Current Track and associated data or "Cancel". ( I always just Cancel (that action)).

That way, you not only have the "saved track", you also have an identical copy still included in the Current Track that will be concluded when the "user defined" Archive period "End" is reached. (Daily, Weekly, or When Full)

Note that this is on the older 650 , not a newer 610 or 680.....may be different.

Saving a Portion" , you have to define both ends of that portion, then save. That does not delete anything. It continues to be part of the Current Track until the user either "Clears Current Track" or the unit reaches the end of an archive period.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Just for reference, checking a single track from your new GPS vs 4 tracks from your older model really doesn't tell you anything.

I regularly do a 4.81 mile trail (approximately 5-7 times a week). It has over 20 switch backs and 800+ ft elevation gain on the trip up. For the past several months, I have carried the same GPS every day, in the same Rt front shirt pocket, same track logging interval and method, no changes in any other user settings. The only changes affecting the track are the differences relating to different satellite positions day to day.

The trail is an old wagon/auto road , and I intentionally stay in the right hand track on the way up and the opposite track on the way down. The two recorded tracks should never cross, but they sometimes do.....and sometimes the track shows me to have walked where there is nothing but air (off a cliff/ dropoff)

The terrain of course stays exactly the same. The same rock cliffs , the same canyons, the same objects/bodies interfering in the same way, day to day.

Multipath errors caused by reflected signals vary from day to day, due to sat positions changing day to day.

On days where the track shows me to have taken wide turns out off the side of the road or some other inaccurate path , the error is reflected in the length of track. Other days, RH stays right on the way up and right on the way down, and doesn't show that I did any space walking.....and the length is accurate. I know what the accurate length is because I have measured it and rechecked it with a surveyors measuring wheel. (and have accurately marked the 1/4 mile increments)

You soon learn that your GPS does not necessarily log it's actual position. What it actually logs is the position where it THINKS it is based on it's calculations from the sat signals it receives, whether they be good or bad , for a multitude of reasons.

Just for reference, checking a single track from your new GPS vs 4 tracks from your older model really doesn't tell you anything.

I regularly do a 4.81 mile trail (approximately 5-7 times a week). It has over 20 switch backs and 800+ ft elevation gain on the trip up. For the past several months, I have carried the same GPS every day, in the same Rt front shirt pocket, same track logging interval and method, no changes in any other user settings. The only changes affecting the track are the differences relating to different satellite positions day to day.

The trail is an old wagon/auto road , and I intentionally stay in the right hand track on the way up and the opposite track on the way down. The two recorded tracks should never cross, but they sometimes do.....and sometimes the track shows me to have walked where there is nothing but air (off a cliff/ dropoff)

The terrain of course stays exactly the same. The same rock cliffs , the same canyons, the same objects/bodies interfering in the same way, day to day.

Multipath errors caused by reflected signals vary from day to day, due to sat positions changing day to day.

On days where the track shows me to have taken wide turns out off the side of the road or some other inaccurate path , the error is reflected in the length of track. Other days, RH stays right on the way up and right on the way down, and doesn't show that I did any space walking.....and the length is accurate. I know what the accurate length is because I have measured it and rechecked it with a surveyors measuring wheel. (and have accurately marked the 1/4 mile increments)

You soon learn that your GPS does not necessarily log it's actual position. What it actually logs is the position where it THINKS it is based on it's calculations from the sat signals it receives, whether they be good or bad , for a multitude of reasons.

I understand all of that back in 1996 when I got a Northstar Commerical gps..and of the many handhelds etc since. I can tell you the Glonass/gps combo is more accurate. In comparing the tracks it clearly shows a more precise and realistic track compared to my 6 other tracks with just gps. And the thing that sells me is when I have my usual lunch at the end and sit on the same rock the drifting of points is much much tighter compared to then non Glonass/combo. Same pack same everything. I've read extensively about Glonass and it really shines when used with Gps. As you know especially within a Canyon like environment. Such as my multible track comparison hike mentioned above.