Greedy Geocachers?

barry54

Do you have any greedy geocachers in your area?

In our area (Eastern England) we have one guy who gets FTF on the vast majority of published caches. For example, a series of 26 'alphabet' caches was published the other day - the notification came out at 11:50pm or thereabouts. One of these was in the village where I live, so early next morning a friend and I set off to find it. We were disappointed to find that it had already been logged, but surprised that it was logged at 3:52am! Checking the other caches in the series it seems that he's logged FTF on all except a couple he could not find, between about half past midnight and 6am!

I checked all 194 caches published this year in a ten mile radius and he's claimed FTF on 127 out of 194.

Now, there's no reason why he can't do this - its not against any rules or anything, it just feels a bit like the sort of person who, when the buffet opens, runs to the front and grabs all the chicken legs so theres none left for anyone else!

I guess he's having a great time, but it seems to take the fun out of the game for everyone else. You know that if you spot a new cache you're very unlikely to get to it first.

Greedy, really? Yup, the New England Patriots are greedy for continuing to beat everybody else. Darn Brady. They should stop trying so hard so the Buffalo Bills have a shot some year.

Now, there's no reason why he can't do this - its not against any rules or anything, it just feels a bit like the sort of person who, when the buffet opens, runs to the front and grabs all the chicken legs so theres none left for anyone else!

No, he's a guy that wants to "win" this unofficial competition called FTF. If the FTF hounds didn't try, then there would be very little fun in beating them.

I guess he's having a great time, but it seems to take the fun out of the game for everyone else. You know that if you spot a new cache you're very unlikely to get to it first.

How does that take the fun away? I'm pretty sure he's not taking the caches away preventing people from finding them.

If you play the side FTF game, then you have to play with the big dogs.

Notification comes out at 11:50 pm, and he finds them between 12:30 and 6:00 am? So it took him over 6 hours to get to some of them - plenty of time for another FTF hound. :)

Part of the FTF thrill is rushing out as soon as you get your instant notification. Don't blame him if you're waiting until daylight. :)

Notification comes out at 11:50 pm, and he finds them between 12:30 and 6:00 am? So it took him over 6 hours to get to some of them - plenty of time for another FTF hound. :)

Part of the FTF thrill is rushing out as soon as you get your instant notification. Don't blame him if you're waiting until daylight. :)

Yes, you were probably hoping for more sympathy than you've gotten. Since FTFs have great importance for you, I recommend that you shift your sleep schedule so that you too can be seeking caches at night by flashlight!

The nocturnal have a clear advantage.

To the point of breaking regulations at times. There are certain folks who will hit public parks and the like at all hours of the night despite it being outside the posted hours. I mean...if they want to trespass and all that...that's up to them. It does, however, reflect poorly on the game to a degree when people are willing to do that just to get there before others.

I recommend that you shift your sleep schedule so that you too can be seeking caches at night by flashlight!

I'm a Greedy Geocacher, but I prefer to sleep in. :anicute:

Waiting til the first to arrive has called the CO for hints, cache description clarification, gotten the coords fixed, gotten the D/T ratings fixed, that has its charms. The FTF is often the one who has the most work. If it still has not been found later, I wait til the other Greedy Geocachers leave, then I look for the scorched earth circle 60-feet across (no need to search there) and then think "outside the box" (or circle). I've occasionally gotten FTF by doing that.

Edited by kunarion

Yes, I can see that point of view. I'm not sure I'd use the word "greedy," but he does seem a little inconsiderate. There's nothing you can do about it though, unless you want to go to the same extremes he does. I guess FTF is more important to him than to you.

I went to considerable effort to be the first to finish a new local geotour this year. For some reason, I caught the bug on that one. But I have no intention of doing so next year when they revamp it. Let someone else have a turn.

- the notification came out at 11:50pm or thereabouts. One of these was in the village where I live, so early next morning a friend and I set off to find it. We were disappointed to find that it had already been logged, but surprised that it was logged at 3:52am!

If you don't get at a traditional within 15 minutes around here you're too late :unsure:

I don't care for FTF's, I have 6 since 2006. For 3 I made an effort to get there when I received notification and they were very close by. The other three were lucky shots. 4 days after publishing I was FTF while on holiday in Japan, the other after 5 days while on holiday in Reunion, and one after 6 days because no one had solved the mystery in time.

I've seen caches published within 500m from here and I still don't go out to find them, some get archived before I go after them.

And you want FTF too? it you don't want to do the work for it? Guess if that guy is greedy, then you're entitled. You get the same notification, so either be "greedy" and go for it at 2am, or be "entitled" and expect people to check with you before they go for FTF.

Ha-ha! The OP will be sorry he posted!

Okay, let's try to help. The OP can email the reviewer and suggest that publication times be varied (not all at night).

In my area the publication time could be day or night, and so no one person or sleep schedule is favored. That keeps it interesting for everyone.

In our area (Eastern England) we have one guy who gets FTF on the vast majority of published caches. For example, a series of 26 'alphabet' caches was published the other day - the notification came out at 11:50pm or thereabouts. One of these was in the village where I live, so early next morning a friend and I set off to find it. We were disappointed to find that it had already been logged, but surprised that it was logged at 3:52am! Checking the other caches in the series it seems that he's logged FTF on all except a couple he could not find, between about half past midnight and 6am!

I checked all 194 caches published this year in a ten mile radius and he's claimed FTF on 127 out of 194.

You'd make a perfect American.. wanting things handed to you. Being first only counts if its not handed to you.

How does that take the fun away?

In many ways.

We had a local greedy FTF hound we nicknamed "Shortypants". He was a very nice guy, but it was tough to warm up to him when he bragged at events that 97% of his finds were FTFs. I wouldn't want to be "That Guy". When placing a cache, we didn't add good swag just for Shortypants to snatch up. We asked the reviewer to publish after Shortypants' bedtime so working folks would have a chance at FTF. We also enjoyed publishing them when expecting foul weather from a nearby hurricane. I've never knowingly posted bad coords, but I'll bet the OPs area is full of new caches with bad coords that are corrected after their personal Shortypants has done his deed. It's human nature to not want to feed the trolls. Unfortunately others are affected too.

Greedy??

I thought this thread was going to be about someone who takes all the swag without leaving anything.

IMO a cache find is just as good if I'm second, or tenth, or hundredth to find it.

Your analogy about the buffet is way off, because he only took the first chicken leg, not all of them.

Greedy, really? Yup, the New England Patriots are greedy for continuing to beat everybody else. Darn Brady. They should stop trying so hard so the Buffalo Bills have a shot some year.

Someone forgot to tell the Philadelphia Eagles and the Denver Broncos that the Patriots are always supposed to win.

No, he's a guy that wants to "win" this unofficial competition called FTF. If the FTF hounds didn't try, then there would be very little fun in beating them.

The way I see it, there's more than one way to play the FTF game. There are certainly areas full of FTF hounds where you have to get to the cache within 15 minutes in order to have a chance at FTF. I suppose that in those areas, the "fun" in the FTF games comes from beating others to the cache. There are also area where there aren't any rabid FTF hounds, where the joy of FTF comes simply from having a blank log sheet to sign.

There have been other threads like this in the past and I suspect that in most cases the OP just wants to experience the joy of having a blank log sheet to sign and is not into "beating other geocachers". Unfortunately, this OP and others happens to live in a place that has a rabid FTF hound that wants to "win" every time.

Personally, I think it's quite possible to enjoy the game (and have done it with many other games/hobbies) even when I don't "win".

Dear Reviewer,

I really desire a FTF and CacherNeverSleeps is hogging them ALL!! I am usally abed when you publish the new caches. You should rearrange your volunteer time to publish new caches when it is more convenient for me, instead of CacherNeverSleeps.

Sincerely,

Waiting for a FTF

There are a decent number of FTFs waiting paaaaatiently in more remote places, maybe even within day-trip range of you.

You might find that side-game (of the FTF side-game) more to your liking.

I do.

+1

I get a lot more out of visiting an out of the way location and finding a nice spot with a new cache (like, say, this one next to a volcanic crater) than I do being the first to sign a micro in the suburbs.

If this is not for you, then you're going to have to set your notifications, push your emails to your mobile, and go for your FTFs when the emails go "ping," be it in the middle of the night or no. Even back when I wanted FTFs very, very badly, I made a choice not to do this, which limited my ability. After a while, I realized I was setting myself up to be disappointed when I was supposed to be having fun looking for a new cache. So I quit trying for FTF and focused on having fun geocaching. Even so, without really trying, I manage to get at least a few FTFs per year, seemingly by accident.

Alternatively, it looks like this puzzle cache is still up for grabs in your area after almost a year since publication. Why not pour your energy into solving it so you can be the first to log it?

Edited by hzoi

I am not after FTFs as a general rule and I have no problem in the world with people who get them more than others. Its obviously something they enjoy. Greedy is hoarding 400 trackables in the area and not dropping them timely. Greedy is taking all the good swag and leaving pennies in return. Greedy is an adjective outside of Geocaching. Getting FTFs a lot just means they are good at it.

The only thing that would annoy me about FTF hounds was if you met them at a GZ and they were really competitive and unfriendly about finding it first to the point of knocking people over, blocking people from searching a particular spot or willing to share if two people effectively found it together.

Edited by lamoracke

The FTF game is for people that havent success in other area in their life. :ph34r:

That'd be me.

I like the FTF game because of the social aspect. The hunt can turn into a mini-event. The find is incidental and I will always defer to others who are searching.

Like this: http://coord.info/GC67TR8

I've been caching for 8 years and have never met someone "on the trail" or near GZ when I was FTF or nearly FTF. I've met other geocachers many times but never related to the FTF game.

I thought they only handed out participation trophies in the US? Has the UK started doing that too?

In our area (Eastern England) we have one guy who gets FTF on the vast majority of published caches.

FTF is a competition. Unless the cacher is cheating in some way (ex: advance notice from the hider, ignoring posted hours that the location is closed) then it's perfectly fine for him to get FTF on 100 out of 100 caches.

I guess he's having a great time, but it seems to take the fun out of the game for everyone else.

I was just posting some photos of a scenic hike I took to get a geocache. The geocache wasn't very much fun to find because it was about a decade old so hundreds of people had already found it. :rolleyes::smile:

Edited by Joshism

I'm in a pretty good region here. While many of us (myself included) enjoy the thrill of a FTF, most of us are content if we find one a month.

Of course, there's the one guy around here who intentionally pursues STFs. He just logged his 300th STF on some puzzle caches nearby that I've been watching.

So, if you're annoyed by the FTF battle, stop fighting it. Make the STF the "real" badge of honor in your area.

Yes, I can see that point of view. I'm not sure I'd use the word "greedy," but he does seem a little inconsiderate. There's nothing you can do about it though, unless you want to go to the same extremes he does. I guess FTF is more important to him than to you.

I went to considerable effort to be the first to finish a new local geotour this year. For some reason, I caught the bug on that one. But I have no intention of doing so next year when they revamp it. Let someone else have a turn.

Greedy, inconsiderate,,, seriously? The guy likes getting FTFs and he gets them by putting forth some effort. It's fairly obvious that you probably won't be first if you wait until the next morning when there's competition in the area. If you want it, then you need to get your act together. Be ready when the notification comes out and go get it then. Just about everyone can get these things if they really want em.

The FTF game is for people that havent success in other area in their life. :ph34r:

That'd be me.

I like the FTF game because of the social aspect. The hunt can turn into a mini-event. The find is incidental and I will always defer to others who are searching.

Like this: http://coord.info/GC67TR8

I've been caching for 8 years and have never met someone "on the trail" or near GZ when I was FTF or nearly FTF. I've met other geocachers many times but never related to the FTF game.

This could be a difference between your rural caching and my suburban caching. I'm a very low numbers cacher, but i've met people multiple times on a FTF hunt.

Dear Reviewer,

I really desire a FTF and CacherNeverSleeps is hogging them ALL!! I am usally abed when you publish the new caches. You should rearrange your volunteer time to publish new caches when it is more convenient for me, instead of CacherNeverSleeps.

Sincerely,

Waiting for a FTF

Bravo on a dead-on shot at the idea of my post 14. Bang! My idea's dead.

Somehow "OREVIEWER" in Eastern PA manages to publish listings at any and all hours. It wouldn't hurt to ask the local reviewer. If he or she can't do it, they say no. No harm done.

Your quip seems to miss the point that (1) the OP is surely not the only person in his area interested in a shot at FTFs, & (2) the FTF side game excites some people and therefore strengthens interest in the game overall.

Agreed that the reviewer shouldn't have to go back to his or her volunteer work again & again throughout the day and night just to cater to the FTF game. The technology must surely exist for the reviewer to press "defer publication x hours" instead of "publish." Why is that useful? Suppose the CO submits a series of 10 caches near each other. It's more interesting possibly if the publication is spread out. Don't like the example? Ok, then what about this thread? Deferred publication allows caches to go online at different times, and lets more people have a shot at FTF. This OP is just one of many in his area that need to sleep at night, yet would enjoy seeking FTFS (in the daytime).

We can debate the merits of the FTF side-game, but the point is that some people enjoy it. Therefore, if that FTF game can be made more enjoyable for more people without much extra effort by reviewers, then why not do that? Staggered publication times benefit the sport and keep more people enthused and interested, which keeps membership dollars rolling in.

Edited by wmpastor

And you want FTF too? it you don't want to do the work for it? Guess if that guy is greedy, then you're entitled. You get the same notification, so either be "greedy" and go for it at 2am, or be "entitled" and expect people to check with you before they go for FTF.

Ha-ha! The OP will be sorry he posted!

Okay, let's try to help. The OP can email the reviewer and suggest that publication times be varied (not all at night).

In my area the publication time could be day or night, and so no one person or sleep schedule is favored. That keeps it interesting for everyone.

If you live in an area with multiple reviewers, chances are the caches will be published in a staggered pattern naturally. Wisconsin has a few reviewers and I get notifications early in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening and in the dead of night with no real discernible pattern. If there was only one reviewer, I wouldn't dream of asking him/her to alter the time they normally publish caches. I wouldn't dream of asking even if there were two dozen reviewers. Reviewers volunteer their time and asking them to sacrifice more because of some stupid side game is entitlement at its worst. However, I'm confident that if GS gave them a tool so that they could set the cache to publish at a certain time automatically, they'd be happy to use it.

Personally, I don't see too many caches get published that I feel any sort of need to rush out and find. Sometimes (and much more rarely these days) a FTF will fall into my lap but it's been even longer since a cache was published that made me drop everything to go look for it. Getting your first FTF is pretty exciting. Once you have one or a couple and start paying attention to newly published caches, you quickly realize that 95% of new caches are just not worth running after.

FTF is not an official part of the game and only by accident do I ever get any. Don't forget the FTF hound has to deal with a myriad of problems associated with new caches , incorrect co-ords being the most prominent. I kind of like to wait until one has been found a few times to grab it.

+1

Used to be FTF hounds.

Last few years we realized that being beta testers for folks with coords 100+' off (if the cache was even placed yet...) just wasn't fun anymore.

Now happy to head out knowing someone found it, and it at least has a good chance of still being there. :)

If someone waits to let you have the FTF would you really feel good about it. Here if it is a traditional you have about 15 min or forget about it. We are all friends around here and it is just fun. The other day a cache placed for us was published at about 9pm. About 20 min away or so. I thought about going for it but had just drove passed it. I picked it up at about 7 am the next morning shocked it was still available. Some cachers told me they left it for us to FTF. Had I waited any longer it would have been found but they gave us that chance.

Enough local cachers keen on FTFs to make it more or less useless to bother going for them - our caches seem to get published in the daytime, I think there are some shift-workers, retired people and "stay-at-home-mums" getting the FTFs.

That said I've managed 15 in 3 years - but something struck me on getting #15. It was an ammo box, hard puzzle to solve (http://coord.info/GC5KW4X), got it 14 days after publication. Thinking back, all the previous 14 had been dead easy finds, just right place right time. This is the only one that's given me a real sense of achievement (perhaps since the first one!)

I'm a map tidier and always try to get new local caches promptly - my STF rate is astronomical!

Like souvenirs, and to a large extent TBs, the FTF game is marginal for me - because as above, other people are more dedicated / able to grab them. I'll just wave my completed DT grid in their faces next time we meet :ph34r:

The technology must surely exist for the reviewer to press "defer publication x hours" instead of "publish."

making the ftf contest more even-handed?

Scheduling Cache Activation

Controlling when a cache goes live

Scheduling new cache publication

Publication date

I'm a proponent of the deferred publication system. The variation I think that's best is this. The default publication mode is randomized publication in the 24 hours after the reviewer hits "publish." However, the time period 6am to 6pm is quintuple-weighted in the randomizer. That's for two very good reasons. First, far fewer people are nocturnal. Second, a significant number of locations (like many parks) are off limits at night.

The reviewer could also side-step the randomizer to (1) publish immediately or (2) specify the hours until publication.

Problems solved. EZPZ. B)

Edited by wmpastor

I'm a proponent of the deferred publication system. The variation I think that's best is this. The default publication mode is randomized publication in the 24 hours after the reviewer hits "publish." However, the time period 6am to 6pm is quintuple-weighted in the randomizer. )

And knowing GS's timekeeping I guess you mean 6-18 PST :rolleyes:

That would make it 21-9 UTC or between 10 at night and 10 in the morning here. :ph34r:

Dear Reviewer,

Sincerely,

Waiting for a FTF

Funny, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that emails like this have been sent. I'd bet there's even been an email or two sent to a reviewer asking to get a heads up before anyone else. It's gotten to the point where nothing surprises me anymore. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mudfrog

We've got two obsessive FTFers in our area. The only worst thing than listening to their smug logs is the "I'm not an FTF shark" rubbish they keep posting and their feeble justification about "just being in the area." Part of the joy around here is beating them two :D :D :D

:blink:

With almost 15,000 finds and over 900 FTF's to your name the stats of those cachers you deem obsessive must be astronomical! :o

They must be caching monsters! :laughing:

Edited by Team Microdot

We've got two obsessive FTFers in our area. The only worst thing than listening to their smug logs is the "I'm not an FTF shark" rubbish they keep posting and their feeble justification about "just being in the area." Part of the joy around here is beating them two :D :D :D

:blink:

With almost 15,000 finds and over 900 FTF's to your name the stats of those cachers you deem obsessive must be astronomical! :o

They must be caching monsters! :laughing:

We've got two three obsessive FTFers in our area.

There - fixed it for ya! :grin:

Dear Reviewer,

Sincerely,

Waiting for a FTF

Bravo on a dead-on shot at the idea of my post 14. Bang! My idea's dead.

Somehow "OREVIEWER" in Eastern PA manages to publish listings at any and all hours. It wouldn't hurt to ask the local reviewer. If he or she can't do it, they say no. No harm done.

Your quip seems to miss the point that (1) the OP is surely not the only person in his area interested in a shot at FTFs, & (2) the FTF side game excites some people and therefore strengthens interest in the game overall.

Agreed that the reviewer shouldn't have to go back to his or her volunteer work again & again throughout the day and night just to cater to the FTF game. The technology must surely exist for the reviewer to press "defer publication x hours" instead of "publish." Why is that useful? Suppose the CO submits a series of 10 caches near each other. It's more interesting possibly if the publication is spread out. Don't like the example? Ok, then what about this thread? Deferred publication allows caches to go online at different times, and lets more people have a shot at FTF. This OP is just one of many in his area that need to sleep at night, yet would enjoy seeking FTFS (in the daytime).

We can debate the merits of the FTF side-game, but the point is that some people enjoy it. Therefore, if that FTF game can be made more enjoyable for more people without much extra effort by reviewers, then why not do that? Staggered publication times benefit the sport and keep more people enthused and interested, which keeps membership dollars rolling in.

I missed no points with my post. If a cacher or every cacher in an area wants a FTF, they have to adjust their life accordingly to be ready when the opportunity happens. If they are unwilling to do that, I see no reason for a Volunteer to change his working routine to accommodate them. The convenience of the Volunteer's schedule is one of the concessions for their service to our hobby.

I play the FTF game sometimes. Currently, just over 10% of my smilie count are FTF. In those 82, I have not yet met another cacher (not a caching partner) in the field. One time while on a FTF attempt, I arrived second and left to allow the first person (a new cacher) to make the find. I returned later.