message center timeout

indigodave

I am trying to be helpful and delete double logs I find on my caches, thx to project-GC, and then I send a short note to each Cacher! But I get a timeout from the message center and told to wait 20 minutes. Is there a limit to the number of messages I send or the frequency? Seems silly so there must be a reason that I need to know! Thx

I am trying to be helpful and delete double logs I find on my caches, thx to project-GC, and then I send a short note to each Cacher! But I get a timeout from the message center and told to wait 20 minutes. Is there a limit to the number of messages I send or the frequency? Seems silly so there must be a reason that I need to know! Thx

Well if its limiting you, obviously there is a limit.... :rolleyes:

You can only send so many messages in a set period of time (I don't know the time, or the number of caches) it's to prevent spam. Anyway, when you delete their logs, they get an automatic message.

Some people misuse the message center and email functions (for example, to promote a commercial product or venture). As a result the website needs to have throttles in place to prevent abuse. That means, unfortunately, that legit messages like yours may need to be spaced out a bit more in order to avoid the throttle limit.

For security reasons, the exact details of the throttle limits are not published.

Anyway, when you delete their logs, they get an automatic message.
True, but the message they get doesn't include any explanation of the reason why the log was deleted.

I've said it before...this feature sure would be useful. I can't stand having to go through a separate process to do something GS already has in place for image deletion.

QAUCxIM.png

Would the Reason be posted somewhere? Emailed? I don't see a lot of double-logs on my caches, but when I find some, I've sent a message to the logger, "You logged a Find twice on this cache", and that I'm planning to delete one of them, and I offer to let them decide which one stays and to delete one, and maybe I include an explanation of how it may have happened and how it affects Stats and the game in general. Heh, that's a mouthful. :anicute:

Lately I've sent something like that to the Message Center, since I don't know if their PM "Email" (or mine, in case of a reply) is working today. But if GS made a Reason feature, that Reason must be easy to find and read. But where would it be posted? Also, I guess it also must include some further reading for the double-logger. A link or something. When someone arrives in this Forum asking why their find count has gone down, they could be directed to check the "Reason repository", or whatever place the Reason goes.

I haven't sent an additional message after deleting a double log. But on my pre-deletion message, nobody has ever replied, nor deleted a log. Maybe they don't know how to do either. I should add more info to my pre-deletion message. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Duplicate logs used to be far and between but they have certainly picked up in the past couple of years. I'm guessing phone app glitches are the cause. Until recently, i kept up with them and deleted them when they came in. Now, i'm feeling that they're not something to worry about as i figure most of the people having the problem probably don't care too much and won't stay with us very long anyway.

I almost feel that i'm slipping on my cache owner's duties because i've always felt this was part of cache maintenance. On the other hand, because of what geocaching has become and the logs that come in these days, i pretty much feel that i'm wasting my time.

To the OP, if you're intent on keeping this up,,, my advice is to stay vigilant and take care of them when they come in.

Anyway, when you delete their logs, they get an automatic message.
True, but the message they get doesn't include any explanation of the reason why the log was deleted.

I've said it before...this feature sure would be useful. I can't stand having to go through a separate process to do something GS already has in place for image deletion.

QAUCxIM.png

Would the Reason be posted somewhere? Emailed? I don't see a lot of double-logs on my caches, but when I find some, I've sent a message to the logger, "You logged a Find twice on this cache", and that I'm planning to delete one of them, and I offer to let them decide which one stays and to delete one, and maybe I include an explanation of how it may have happened and how it affects Stats and the game in general. Heh, that's a mouthful. :anicute:

Lately I've sent something like that to the Message Center, since I don't know if their PM "Email" (or mine, in case of a reply) is working today. But if GS made a Reason feature, that Reason must be easy to find and read. But where would it be posted? Also, I guess it also must include some further reading for the double-logger. A link or something. When someone arrives in this Forum asking why their find count has gone down, they could be directed to check the "Reason repository", or whatever place the Reason goes.

I haven't sent an additional message after deleting a double log. But on my pre-deletion message, nobody has ever replied, nor deleted a log. Maybe they don't know how to do either. I should add more info to my pre-deletion message. :anicute:

I assume it would be included in the "log deleted" email that would get sent to the cacher when their log is deleted.

What you described is the reason it is so desirable to include a reason in the deletion form: the amount of effort it takes the thoughtful CO to delete and notify the person who posted the log, especially if you are the type to give advanced warning and give them the opportunity to fix it themselves...because then you are committing yourself to checking back later to see if they did so.