Coin dipping

Student Camper

I have just encountered a new twist (to me) of Geocaching, Couch surfing Coin dipping.

Apparently, I can go to any cache page, post a note and dip a coin, TB or perform almost any other function without violating any of Groundspeak guidelines.

This not a policy I could conscribe to but others may find it harmless, Your thoughts?

Not my coin!

Any coins I have put out are for legitimate travel, and I believe most, if not all coin owners would agree.. Don't start playing around with number and stuff with someone else's geocoin(s)

If someone were to do that with their own coin ... well, they need to get some sort of life. What in the world would be the point?

I have just encountered a new twist (to me) of Geocaching, Couch surfing Coin dipping.

Apparently, I can go to any cache page, post a note and dip a coin, TB or perform almost any other function without violating any of Groundspeak guidelines.

This not a policy I could conscribe to but others may find it harmless, Your thoughts?

It is left to the Owner to clean up fake logs. This policy has already made a mess of Trackables. And an Owner having to delete many incorrect "Visit" or "Discover" logs by hand, is just the tip of the iceberg. Where the problem has gone from there, you don't wanna know. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

It is left to the Owner to clean up fake logs. This policy has already made a mess of Trackables. And an Owner having to delete many incorrect "Visit" or "Discover" logs by hand, is just the tip of the iceberg. Where the problem has gone from there, you don't wanna know. :ph34r:

Unfortunately, I am not the owner so I cannot do anything until such time I visit the cache, The CO has been inactive for a number of years.

I put "please don't do the 'visit' thing with my TB" on the trackable's page. I think this dipping coins or visiting or whatever it's called is silly. Just put it in the next cache so it can get on with its mission.

What about those in races? Some races have points for every cache the trackable visits.

What about if you don't actually find a large enough cache? I've taken coins when I travel, and since I can't always plan in advance I may not know.

I think it should be up to the owner if he/she wants to allow them, it's not up to you to decide that it's silly for their own coins. Yours, well it's yours to decide what you want done with. Others, not your choice.

I've seen this for years. I think it's just more prevalent now with the option to do it in the app.

About ten years ago there was a (now inactive) cache owner who was doing a virtual flyover of all states and counties. He would leave notes like this one and dip their TB whenever they did a flight simulator near a cache. At the time I wasn't quite into the spirit of it, but compared to the new dipping thing, I think it's pretty cool to look back at this one.

I have just picked up a trackable which is in a race to get the most miles before a certain date, and then it wants to end up back in Canberra.

I suspect that the owner would not be best pleased if I took it on my SE Asia trip and returned it to Australia without dipping it in every cache I visit.

It is rare to see someone complain on this Forum that their TB in a race is getting dipped in caches. Often, the poster had his non-racing TB taken and held forever. In that case, if the "dips" were real stories (I don't think the Virtual Airplane would qualify, but at least it's a story), and especially photos of the TB along its journey, that would not be so bad. I'd prefer my TBs be placed, so there's a log of more than one cacher, and so I may cross-check and get an impression of where the TB actually might be.

But when the "dips" are just "took it to", over & over again, that's a view of crazy that I didn't need to see. And I've personally documented here in this Forum the loss of TBs, where the "dips" continued long after the TB had been lost. People who request their TB always be physically placed and properly logged, are justified in the fear that it's lost, because in many cases, the huge list of "took it to" is all they'll ever see, until the day those logs stop.

Edited by kunarion

I put "please don't do the 'visit' thing with my TB" on the trackable's page. I think this dipping coins or visiting or whatever it's called is silly. Just put it in the next cache so it can get on with its mission.

I think it should be up to the owner if he/she wants to allow them, it's not up to you to decide that it's silly for their own coins. Yours, well it's yours to decide what you want done with. Others, not your choice.

I didn't say it was. I merely stated what I want done with my trackable and what I think of the practice of dipping. Or am I required to think only as you do?

I travel a lot and travel to interesting places. I often carry TBs. If there is a good place to leave a TB, I will. If there isn't a good place, I dip the TB to reflect mileage it actually accrues and take it to the next place. If I end up bringing it home, I dip it into a nearby cache to keep the mileage accurate. I don't dip a TB into every individual cache I visit.

Occasionally, I'll hang onto a TB for a while so I can take it somewhere interesting. I'd never dip a TB somewhere I haven't actually been.