Ticks are back

American Eagle

What is it about ticks, anyway? They drink your blood until they are full, fall off, and then die. Where does that fit into their life cycle? They have to eat something before they get big enough to bite thru your skin and I know they start off mite sized. Why isn't that enough for the rest of their lives?

Is it spite that they bite you and never let go? Or are they just reincarnated lawyers?

I mean, I understand why a mosquito bites... it's only the female ones and its for fertilizations if I rememember correctly. I know I could look this info up, but I've seen enough ticks this weekend. *nods*

I now bring this little scraper with me and tuck in my pants as I bushwhack. I've noticed that when I touch them with my fingers they seem to try to dig into my pants, but when the scraper goes near them, they fling themselves off. I don't know if that'll help anyone with them, but it really did work well

This Horse Writes

quote:
Originally posted by Greyflank:

What is it about ticks, anyway? They drink your blood until they are full, fall off, and then die. Where does that fit into their life cycle? They have to eat something before they get big enough to bite thru your skin and I know they start off mite sized. Why isn't that enough for the rest of their lives?

I mean, I understand why a mosquito bites... it's only the female ones and its for fertilizations if I rememember correctly. I know I could look this info up, but I've seen enough ticks this weekend. *nods*

This Horse Writes

As I understand it your blood is their food. They feed on deer and other mammals too.

I had Lyme disease two years ago and I have no desire to try that again. Here's my question: how can you tell if you have a deer tick? What I've heard is that the bigger ticks, the ones that are easy to see (about the size of a nailhead), don't carry Lyme disease. The deer ticks, which do, supposedly are pinhead-sized. I never saw the tick that gave me Lyme disease - I had something on the back of my knee but I thought it was just a scabby bug bite. How can you tell if you get one of these things?

Check this page for the Deer Tick life cycle.

Larvae, the first stage after the egg, cannot carry Lyme until they feed on a Lyme infected hosts such as field mice. But the Nymphs and much larger adults can carry Lyme as at these stages the tick has already fed and if the host carried Lyme, most likely the tick will get infected.

You're really not safe at any time of the year unless it's under 40 detgrees so you should take precautions.

Alan

Ticks will come out if it's over something like 40°F. I've already found lots this year, and I think I was bitten twice, I know I was bitten once. They were never this prolific when I was a kid. Never! I never even saw a tick until I was in high school and I was in the woods and fields all the time. Now ticks are everywhere. icon_frown.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

They seem to be more numerous this year. I've found more ticks on my clothing this year than I did combined in my previous 43 years.

I also found the first one attached and snacking. Oddly enough it was in an area that I had sprayed with DEET. My wife also had one attached and is taking antibiotics to prevent Lyme.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Well, I got myself a big ole can of Deep Woods OFF!

I'm hoping that it'll be pretty effective in getting close to the ALLAIRE ELECTRIC CACHE. That thing's guarded by hundreds of them. It's gotta be more effective than beating the bushes with a stick before stepping forward.

I'm hoping, at least.

This Horse Writes

I read somewhere that to be infected, the tick needs to be attached to the host for al least 24hours, so as long as one gets home and puts their gear into a nice washing, and then take a shower, they should be ok.

I also heard a while ago, something about a new Lyme Disease vaccine. I was wondering if anybody here had those shots, and if so, how effective are they.

quote:
I read somewhere that to be infected, the tick needs to be attached to the host for al least 24hours, so as long as one gets home and puts their gear into a nice washing, and then take a shower, they should be ok.

Yes, with most people, in the majority of cases, this is true much of the time. icon_wink.gif.

quote:
I also heard a while ago, something about a new Lyme Disease vaccine. I was wondering if anybody here had those shots, and if so, how effective are they.

The vaccine, LYMErix, has been taken off the market.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln