Geocache marriage proposal!

Hi everyone! I've been wanting to share the story of how my boyfriend proposed to me with some fellow geocachers, so here goes. ?

My boyfriend (now fiance) and I were visiting Chicago, from the Houston area, the weekend before Thanksgiving. Friday, November 20th, all of jcbell's family arrived in town and he suggested we do some caching. Though I was sick, I could never turn down an opportunity to go geocaching! We walked from our hotel to Millennium Park to check out Cloud Gate, aka The Bean. We grabbed the virtual cache of the same name (GCJZDR) and went on our way. We picked up a few more caches while making our way down Lakeshore Drive to the aquarium.

When we arrived at "Best View in Chicago?" (GC2AY4R), jcbell bent down to retrieve the cache, which was one he had been hiding in his pocket. He handed the cache to me, which I opened and prepared to sign the log. But this wasn't an ordinary log! It was a super sweet note that ended with, "Will you marry me?" I looked up,and he was down on one knee with the beautiful ring. I said yes, of course! He then pointed to a photographer he hired to catch this special moment and then to my parents, who had flown in that morning.

It was an amazing day that we will never forget!

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

Very cool! Someone got engaged at one of our caches as well! Really neat for sure! I like his idea of having a cache in his pocket! We added the note to ours. (By we I mean another cacher). I bet that cache owner thought it was really cool. Hope you to have many happy years of caching together!

Congratulations!

Also a very special log for the CO, nice to see how they added your photo to the cache page.

A few years ago a couple that celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary did our multi cache with their children and grand children to make sure they would have a fun day out together.

A few days before the event we heard about it because one of the family members checked if the cache would be available that specific day, just to be sure. Knowing this, we went to the cache and left a special card in the cache to surprise them.

We wish you a great wedding and lots of romantic geocaching years to follow!

So, is your wedding going to be listed as an event cache? B)

Sorry, no can do.

If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community or it will happen without a Geocaching.com listing, it is likely not an Event Cache.

I'm assuming the wedding will go ahead even if there isn't a Geocaching.com listing. :laughing:

Anyway, congratulations! Usually when we hear about geo-proposals it involves the ring being hidden in the proposers cache, so it's nice to see something a bit different.

Sorry, no can do.

If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community or it will happen without a Geocaching.com listing, it is likely not an Event Cache.

I'm assuming the wedding will go ahead even if there isn't a Geocaching.com listing. :laughing:

Anyway, congratulations! Usually when we hear about geo-proposals it involves the ring being hidden in the proposers cache, so it's nice to see something a bit different.

In my area, there was a similar marriage proposal. He planted the ring in a cache earlier in the day, and took his girl friend geocaching where she found it. (He was sweating bullets that no one else would find the ring before he made it back with his girlfriend!) They did have a geocaching event, posted on GC.com, at their reception. It even made the local paper.

Maybe the reviewer in your area would allow it. (Especially if the reviewer is local, and can stop by.)

Best wishes to you both!

Skye.

Sorry, no can do.

Why do you say no can do?

:blink:

I explained my statement immediately after that line with a quote from the guidelines, but you snipped it out of your quote.

Sorry, no can do.

A local geocaching couple here in NJ had their wedding listed as an event just last year. See GC51KBQ.

Looking at the description, their wedding wasn't listed as an event. It was a 15-minute flash mob before the wedding.

To be clear, the wedding ceremony itself wouldn't be eligible to be listed as a Geocaching.com unless it was completely dependent on being a Geocaching.com Event and wouldn't go ahead otherwise (which seems exceedingly unlikely :laughing: ). However, a Geocaching Event held as its own separate gathering before or after the wedding would be fine and not uncommon. I've been to one myself that was held in a park after the ceremony.

To be clear, the wedding ceremony itself wouldn't be eligible to be listed as a Geocaching.com unless it was completely dependent on being a Geocaching.com Event and wouldn't go ahead otherwise (which seems exceedingly unlikely :laughing: ). However, a Geocaching Event held as its own separate gathering before or after the wedding would be fine and not uncommon. I've been to one myself that was held in a park after the ceremony.
By that logic, geocaching events can't be held for any special occasion.

A birthday event? Well, you'd celebrate the birthday without the event, so you can't list it as an event.

An anniversary event? Ditto.

A holiday event? Ditto.

A film festival event? Surely the films are interesting enough that you'd want to watch them without the event, so you can't list it as an event.