Challange cache survey

T.D.M.22

After doing the new survey on Challenge caches, I'm dissapointed and a bit offended after 2 questions.

There is one saying something about States. Now I may be mistaken but don't most countries NOT have states? What about me? I'm Canadian, so we don't get the privilege of provincial based challenges?

And then there's something about benchmarks. Again, benchmarking is only available in the US, yet these survey markers are not limited to the US. The popularity of The Brass Cap Cache should, if nothing else, show that there are these markers in other countries. I suggest either keep benchmarking completely separate (and not allow challenge caches to have anything to do with them) or include it, but expand benchmarking to other countries.

Hopefully this was just an oversight from an employee that really doesn't know geocaching is worldwide (if so, why is someone working for them if they don't really know about geocaching) and not someone that fits the stereotype of Americans thinking the world revolves the USA.

And I expect the survey to be changed to change or eliminate these questions.

Sincerely, an angry Canadian. 4dac1f998f257af46e15c15bc3cea0d4.jpg

Edited by T.D.M.22

Some people are easily offended :rolleyes:

And tired of being left out of this stuff. Contest? Nope, not for us. Free shipping? Nope not for us. Even here geocaching, no benchmarking, can't order from Groundspeak, even their own contests haven't been open to us Canadians...

Where is the survey? I looked at the newsletter http://www.geocaching.com/blog/2015/11/geocaching-hqs-product-team-goes-on-the-road/ but I don't see a link to a survey. Can you point me in the right direction?

Posted on the forums. this is the thread, links to survey inside.

Edited by T.D.M.22

After doing the new survey on Challenge caches, I'm dissapointed and a bit offended after 2 questions.

There is one saying something about States. Now I may be mistaken but don't most countries NOT have states? What about me? I'm Canadian, so we don't get the privilege of provincial based challenges?

And then there's something about benchmarks. Again, benchmarking is only available in the US, yet these survey markers are not limited to the US. The popularity of The Brass Cap Cache should, if nothing else, show that there are these markers in other countries. I suggest either keep benchmarking completely separate (and not allow challenge caches to have anything to do with them) or include it, but expand benchmarking to other countries.

Hopefully this was just an oversight from an employee that really doesn't know geocaching is worldwide (if so, why is someone working for them if they don't really know about geocaching) and not someone that fits the stereotype of Americans thinking the world revolves the USA.

Seriously? I think the survey is an attempt to gather information on categories or types of challenges. What applies to states would apply to provinces.

Seriously? I think the survey is an attempt to gather information on categories or types of challenges. What applies to states would apply to provinces.

How does benchmarking apply to any place other than the US?

I've started doing the survey but have had to give up temporarily because I don't know what to put for question 9.

9. Here are some things community members have indicated they don’t like about challenge caches. Rate your level of agreement or disagreement with each statement.

Some of the statements are true, as statements, so I strongly agree with them. However, they are not things I dislike about challenges, so I strongly disagree with the sentiment.

For example

They often require traveling long distances to find qualifying caches. This is true, but I like travelling long distances to find caches. I strongly agree with the statement, but strongly disagree that it is something I dislike.

There is often a complicated list of qualifying requirements. Also true, but it doesn't bother me.

So are we expressing our agreement or not with the statement or expressing or agreement with the implied statement that I dislike this factor?

I've started doing the survey but have had to give up temporarily because I don't know what to put for question 9.

9. Here are some things community members have indicated they don’t like about challenge caches. Rate your level of agreement or disagreement with each statement.

Some of the statements are true, as statements, so I strongly agree with them. However, they are not things I dislike about challenges, so I strongly disagree with the sentiment.

For example

They often require traveling long distances to find qualifying caches. This is true, but I like travelling long distances to find caches. I strongly agree with the statement, but strongly disagree that it is something I dislike.

There is often a complicated list of qualifying requirements. Also true, but it doesn't bother me.

So are we expressing our agreement or not with the statement or expressing or agreement with the implied statement that I dislike this factor?

I had the same problem. I answered with the assumption that agreement with the statement also implied agreement with those reasons for disliking challenge caches. Of course, others might make the opposite assumption, so that survey section will be fairly worthless.

It's all about, in my opinion at least, finding the boundaries of what makes or doesn't make a good challenge.

If benchmarks are ok, then so would the Canadian equivalent:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=ebb67127-d531-4798-9d17-c6b77f235c49

There is no way this survey could list the complete exhaustive list of challenges, so it looks like they have categorized the basic types.

I think that it is safe for you to consider the term "State" to also refer to Canadian provinces and whatever geopolitical divisions other countries may have. I think it is very safe for you to think of it that way.

Don't forget that while geocaching is global, it began in the U.S. and HQ is located in the U.S. and probably the folks working up the survey were born and raised in the U.S. I really think that you should save your indignation for what we call "maple syrup" here in the USA. That is a much more serious offense.

It doesn't. Therefore, since that question doesn't apply to your location, just select "No opinion" or whatever the neutral option is for that page. That's all I did. Either that, or just answer the question as if you did live in the US.

Hmmm....OK, we've got Benchmarks, but Canada has Tim Horton's. Seems like you come out on the better end of that deal :laughing:

It's all about, in my opinion at least, finding the boundaries of what makes or doesn't make a good challenge.

If benchmarks are ok, then so would the Canadian equivalent:

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=ebb67127-d531-4798-9d17-c6b77f235c49

It should be noted that the question doesn't say "benchmarks", but rather "Benchmarks". What's the difference? The former is a generic term that could apply to any survey marker worldwide. The latter, which was used in the survey, implies the survey markers in the US included as part of "Benchmarking" on Geocaching.com. AFAICT, the survey is assuming that Benchmarking as it's currently implemented on this site will remain unchanged and they're just wanting to know our opinions about how finding these Benchmarks applies to challenge caches. Expanding Benchmarking to include other countries would require a whole project of its own and is likely outside of the scope of the challenge cache project.

"Find a cache in every county? I live in Louisiana where we have Parrishes so why are you excluding me?"

Cities = Towns = Villages.

Counties = Parrishes.

States = Provinces = Territories.

The only difference is some legalese; they are functionally the same level of division for purposes of common sense.

I agree with your point, but I disagree with your analysis of this question. First, it isn't in any way true. A few challenge caches require traveling long distances, but I don't think a case can be made that they "often" require traveling long distances.

But more importantly, why does it matter what anyone dislikes about some challenge caches. I not only strongly disagree that these are things I don't like, I strongly disagree that anyone's dislike of them is a relevant question. Just like with any other cache type, if someone doesn't like a particular kind, then they just don't do that kind.

This is the bottom line, and my claim is that GS should leave what does or doesn't make a good challenge to us, they shouldn't use individual dislikes to design how challenge caches work.

Remember why challenge caches were placed on hold?:laughing:

Because they created lots of problems between geocachers and became a real PITA for HQ. :anibad:

Yes, I do remember why we were told challenge caches were placed on hold, and "lots of problems between geocachers" wasn't the reason. Oddly, nothing in this survey seems to have anything to do with correcting the problem we were given: that challenge cache approval takes up too many resources.

"Find a cache in every county? I live in Louisiana where we have Parrishes so why are you excluding me?"

Counties = Parrishes.

The only difference is some legalese; they are functionally the same level of division for purposes of common sense.

I live in my own little kingdom. How's that classified?

Remember why challenge caches were placed on hold?

I do, but it is very clear that you do not.

So we disagree on challenge caches, but no need to insult me here in the forums. They cause enough problems already. :anitongue:

This has nothing to do with disagreeing about challenge caches. You made a false statement about why challenge caches were put on hold.

Pointing out such an error is not an insult, although the way I corrected it could perhaps be read that way. It was intended more to be an indication of annoyance that you injected nonsense into the discussion.

Remember why challenge caches were placed on hold?

I do, but it is very clear that you do not.

So we disagree on challenge caches, but no need to insult me here in the forums. They cause enough problems already. :anitongue:

This has nothing to do with disagreeing about challenge caches. You made a false statement about why challenge caches were put on hold.

Pointing out such an error is not an insult, although the way I corrected it could perhaps be read that way. It was intended more to be an indication of annoyance that you injected nonsense into the discussion.

Sorry that you choose to not be civil with me. I thought one of the problems with challenge caches was that they overwealmed the appeals process as well as the volunteer reviewers, and thought it was more of a problem for employees of GS than it's volunteer reviewer pool.

Counties = Parrishes.

I live in my own little kingdom. How's that classified?

You are a cat. No further explanation necessary

I agree with your point, but I disagree with your analysis of this question. First, it isn't in any way true. A few challenge caches require traveling long distances, but I don't think a case can be made that they "often" require traveling long distances.

But more importantly, why does it matter what anyone dislikes about some challenge caches. I not only strongly disagree that these are things I don't like, I strongly disagree that anyone's dislike of them is a relevant question. Just like with any other cache type, if someone doesn't like a particular kind, then they just don't do that kind.

Where you live has a great effect on the distance you may have to travel to find a qualifying cache. I live in a region that isn't very cache-dense, so I frequently have to travel 150Km+ to get a specific cache. I'm working on an alphabetical order challenge and am up to "W". My nearest cache starting with "X" is over 200Km away. Most challenges mean I have to travel long distances to achieve them. In other areas, the experience may be different.

However, I completely agree with your second paragraph. I don't like the fact that some caches are beyond my physical capabilities. One of my nearest unfound caches is 14Km of T4.5 each way. My main reason for not attempting it is the cost of the rescue helicopter required to bring my body out! :rolleyes: The fact that I don't like them is completely irrelevant to whether or not they should be allowed. A significant part of question 9 seems irrelevant, but some parts do highlight areas that have an impact beyond just challenge caches.

Basically, I don't care if a challenge is beyond me or not of interest to me. I just won't attempt it. Just like any other cache.

Let's not forget that residents of Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia cannot properly answer any questions about xxx in a state since they live in commonwealths. :rolleyes:

But since this is America I will defend the OP's right to feel offended.

When the state souvenirs came out, I commented the Pennsylvania, Virginia, Massachusetts and Kentucky should be listed as 'XXX Commonwealth'. I was told that they are among the fifty states, and no one knows that they are actually commonwealths. That's the modern computer world. If it's on the Internet, it must be true. The new reality.

After doing the new survey on Challenge caches, I'm dissapointed and a bit offended after 2 questions...

It is a dangerous place you are headed, if you blindly believe you are entitled to all the benefits of a neighboring country. We recognize the differences, but don't insist Americans should have all of Canada's goodies.

Let's not forget that residents of Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia cannot properly answer any questions about xxx in a state since they live in commonwealths. :rolleyes:

But since this is America I will defend the OP's right to feel offended.

When the state souvenirs came out, I commented the Pennsylvania, Virginia, Massachusetts and Kentucky should be listed as 'XXX Commonwealth'. I was told that they are among the fifty states, and no one knows that they are actually commonwealths. That's the modern computer world. If it's on the Internet, it must be true. The new reality.

We do call ourselves the United States of America, not the United States and Commonwealths of America. Besides the term commonwealth when it comes to those four has no legal meaning. There is no real difference between the ways those states are governed and the other 46, it's just a name and basically interchangeable with state for all intents and purposes.

I took the 'do you like' list of challenge styles as a means to determine which are the most popular, and were Groundspeak to develop automated stats checking, use this hierarchy as a way to determine which algorithms they should focus on; not really a way of deciding on which challenge styles should be 'approved' or not. I honestly think they have a few potential ideas for how they may wish to progress, and are putting out 'feelers' for what route may be most optimal, without expicitly asking "do you think we should do this?".

Can't you come up with a more pleasant way of stating your opinions once in a while? Geeze!!

I can be quite pleasant. I tend not to be when people post misinformation as if it were revealed truth.

Good, well-reasoned arguments also earn my respect and tend to result in more respectful posts from me. The arguments in this thread do not approach that threshold.

We do call ourselves the United States of America,

Wrong.

"We" should be global and not focused on the US. I wrote this before in other threads, think global and don't look at things with American eyes.

Groundspeak is an American owned and operated company isn't it?

If you cater for a global audience (and accept their money) you have to think global. The amount of non-US cachers is greater than the amount of US cachers, the same goes for caches. Do you really think (for instance) US-airlines don't take their international passengers into account when making decisions?

Sorry that you choose to not be civil with me.

Short and pointed does not mean uncivil. Your use of the term is uncalled for.

I thought one of the problems with challenge caches was that they overwealmed [sic] the appeals process...

You're right about that, but that's not what you originally said. Your original post:

Remember why challenge caches were placed on hold?:laughing:

Because they created lots of problems between geocachers and became a real PITA for HQ.

That statement was wrong. That ordinarily would not be a problem; we are all wrong sometimes. However, when you encapsulate that error in a "Remember why..." know-it-all post including snickering frogs, you are likely to receive some snark in return.

Had your original post not been snarky, you would likely not have received a snarky response.

Now, let's get back to the topic:

As pointed out repeatedly by Groundspeak, the issue that resulted in the pause was the increasing need for reviewers to make decisions about the quality and appropriateness of the challenges in challenge caches. These decisions led to many appeals and a lot of inappropriate work for the reviewers. I agree with Groundspeak on this issue: reviewers are not in the business of judging cache quality, but only conformance with the guidelines.

At no time, in any communication from Groundspeak, have I seen a single mention of inter-cacher conflict about logs as a reason for the pause. There are always conflicts going on between cachers over every cache type, but that's because human nature is what it is. The notion that challenge caches are more prone to conflict appears to be an invention of the forums.

Where you live has a great effect on the distance you may have to travel to find a qualifying cache. I live in a region that isn't very cache-dense, so I frequently have to travel 150Km+ to get a specific cache. I'm working on an alphabetical order challenge and am up to "W". My nearest cache starting with "X" is over 200Km away. Most challenges mean I have to travel long distances to achieve them. In other areas, the experience may be different.

First, your individual experience still doesn't qualify as proof that this is "often" the case. But what I was really thinking was that in areas like this, it isn't the challenge cache that's causing all the travel, but the fact that you have to travel a ways to get any cache.

We do call ourselves the United States of America, not the United States and Commonwealths of America. Besides the term commonwealth when it comes to those four has no legal meaning. There is no real difference between the ways those states are governed and the other 46, it's just a name and basically interchangeable with state for all intents and purposes.

Actually, it's even simpler than intents and purposes: those four states are still states, officially and formally, since if they weren't states, the constitution wouldn't given them any senators or representatives. They are also commonwealths, but that's another matter.

The survey didn't have a feedback box in the end. That's a basic thing that every survey always should have. There should be an opportunity to give feedback about the survey, the lacking questions, lacking answer options and possible technical difficulties. I was very disappointed there was no chance to give feedback about the survey. That's really amateurish.

So I had to come here to give my feedback, and there is no guarantee, that anyone who handles the answers will ever read my feedback :mad:

Anyway, here are the things that were lacking in the survey: There was a question of how challenge caches have affected how often I go geocaching (or something similar) and there wasn't an option "they have not affected at all". How could they forget that option? Like challenge caches was something that everyone were obsessed about. Also in the segment where we had to rate different types of challenge caches, it was difficult to add multiple "other" ones. There should have appeared a new box under "other" every time one was entered.

Also many questions were just poorly designed and ambiguous. There should have been a free text box in the end of every page, where I could have explained my answers better.

Over all the survey was worthless. This was an important topic, but they messed it up, and I don't see how this survey can give them any good information.

For example

This is exactly what I meant with poorly designed questions. I thought about the same travelling question. I totally agree with it, but it is not a problem for me. I can't travel a lot, I don't want to find a hundred caches in a day, I don't want to find caches everyday for a year, but these things are not a problem for me. I just ignore all the challenges I don't want to complete. Simple as that. But I don't know what kind of answers they would have wanted.

9. Here are some things community members have indicated they don't like about challenge caches. Rate your level of agreement or disagreement with each statement.

For example

I think it is quite clear. If you should think about what "community members have indicated they don't like about challenge caches", than you should agree or disagree if the statement is problem for publishing challenge caches. That´s all.

e.g. "traveling long distances to find qualifying caches" means that this parameter is problem for publishing challenge caches. According to your post you disagree with it (as I did too). ;)

9. Here are some things community members have indicated they don't like about challenge caches. Rate your level of agreement or disagreement with each statement.

For example

I think it is quite clear. If you should think about what "community members have indicated they don't like about challenge caches", than you should agree or disagree if the statement is problem for publishing challenge caches. That´s all.

e.g. "traveling long distances to find qualifying caches" means that this parameter is problem for publishing challenge caches. According to your post you disagree with it (as I did too). ;)

I totally disagree, that may possibly be what the question setter meant but it isn't what the question is actually asking, the question is "Rate your level of agreement or disagreement with each statement." all the statements are then factual statements which generally are true, they aren't statements indicating that they are bad things.

Anyway, here are the things that were lacking in the survey: There was a question of how challenge caches have affected how often I go geocaching (or something similar) and there wasn't an option "they have not affected at all". How could they forget that option? Like challenge caches was something that everyone were obsessed about.

I think this answer option works for what you're describing:

"I don’t cache any more or less because of them" -- in other words, CC's have no effect on your caching activity

For example

I totally disagree, that may possibly be what the question setter meant but it isn't what the question is actually asking, the question is "Rate your level of agreement or disagreement with each statement." all the statements are then factual statements which generally are true, they aren't statements indicating that they are bad things.

Someone from GS is explaining it in parallel thread about this survey. And it is similar as I wrote here. How you explain it is irrelevant. ;)

Edited by k-lord team

We do call ourselves the United States of America,

Wrong.

"We" should be global and not focused on the US. I wrote this before in other threads, think global and don't look at things with American eyes.

Groundspeak is an American owned and operated company isn't it?

If you cater for a global audience (and accept their money) you have to think global. The amount of non-US cachers is greater than the amount of US cachers, the same goes for caches. Do you really think (for instance) US-airlines don't take their international passengers into account when making decisions?

Bad analogy. US-airlines don't take American passengers into account when making decisions either.

I completely agree with you about looking at the game from a global perspective though. If fact, Challenge caches are very regional. In some areas they are very common to the point that people will create power trails of challenge caches while in other areas they're almost non-existent. As I was doing the survey I was thinking, "I wonder how a geocacher from South America would answer this?"

Bad analogy. US-airlines don't take American passengers into account when making decisions either.

Right :ph34r: but you know what I meant

As I was doing the survey I was thinking, "I wonder how a geocacher from South America would answer this?"

Exactly. And that should have been the concept of the whole survey. Think global and take regional differences into account. Just imagine the survey was based on the situation around Seattle. I'm sure there are differences between CA, FL, NY KS too just like things are different in NA, SA, AS, EU, AF, OC.

For example

Someone from GS is explaining it in parallel thread about this survey. And it is similar as I wrote here. How you explain it is irrelevant. ;)

The vast majority of survey respondents are unlikely to read that forum thread and see the explanation. They will have to make their best guesses as to how the survey question is intended. Many people will guess right; many will guess wrong. I wouldn't want to be the Groundspeak lackey trying to make sense of these survey results.

Edited by CanadianRockies
Can't you come up with a more pleasant way of stating your opinions once in a while? Geeze!!

I can be quite pleasant. I tend not to be when people post misinformation as if it were revealed truth.

Good, well-reasoned arguments also earn my respect and tend to result in more respectful posts from me. The arguments in this thread do not approach that threshold.

Were you the guy that xkcd cartoon was written about?