We bought a beautiful geocoin

WattsThat

Geocoins are for collecting, release a proxie. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling this has probably been discussed before, but after discovering both proxies and real geocoins in the wild, there really is no comparison. Finding a laminated photo of a geocoin is... underwhelming to say the least. Since I know the joy of finding a real one, I'm happy to put another one out there, regardless of what happens.

Geocoins are for collecting, release a proxie. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling this has probably been discussed before, but after discovering both proxies and real geocoins in the wild, there really is no comparison. Finding a laminated photo of a geocoin is... underwhelming to say the least. Since I know the joy of finding a real one, I'm happy to put another one out there, regardless of what happens.

I agree that finding a laminated photo of a geocoin is not the same as finding a real geocoin, or a real proxie for that matter. I was suggesting to release a real trackable geocoin proxie, not a photo copy.

Geocoin proxies

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

It's large, it's gorgeous, and we wish we could keep it. But alas, we must pass it along for others to enjoy.

This is our first geocoin we've put in the wild.

Give it to us straight, doc: How long until it goes missing?

Sorry, but your beautiful coin will soon be in someone else's collection.

You'll never know who has it, and they won't even say "Thank you."

How long? Impossible to predict, but I'd guess a month--give or take a couple weeks.

Sorry, but your beautiful coin will soon be in someone else's collection.

You'll never know who has it, and they won't even say "Thank you."

How long? Impossible to predict, but I'd guess a month--give or take a couple weeks.

That's fast. I hope nobody in this forum would do such a thing, of course!

We'll still release it anyway because it'll definitely make somebody's day. Maybe we'll keep some coins and make proxies for others. I definitely don't want to become cynical and distrusting of other cachers though, so releasing SOME real coins periodically is definitely a practice worth practicing.

We'll still release it anyway because it'll definitely make somebody's day. Maybe we'll keep some coins and make proxies for others. I definitely don't want to become cynical and distrusting of other cachers though, so releasing SOME real coins periodically is definitely a practice worth practicing.

You've just started so no point in getting too jaded just yet.

Enjoy your enthusiasm, idealism and blind faith in human nature. It will be rewarded and you'll have loads of smiles to show for it.

Oh, but when something goes wrong don't look at the forum with suspicion, non-owners rarely perouse thorugh here except to figure out how stuff works.

Enjoy.

I generally buy two of the same coin and then I still have it if the other goes missing.

I couple of weeks ago I saw an amazingly beautiful butterfly coin: moving wings, perfect colors like on a real butterfly. It was released in 2010 and it is still out there, moving!

We have two coins that found their way home from the US to Hungary in 4 years, one came home from Turkey, one from Slovakia. All real coins, not proxies. About the same number of coins got lost. My little son lost all his travelers so far. :-( So, it is a question of luck.

Proxies are generally very disappointing, unless they are really well made. I am not willing to move the laminated thingies.

I generally buy two of the same coin and then I still have it if the other goes missing.

I couple of weeks ago I saw an amazingly beautiful butterfly coin: moving wings, perfect colors like on a real butterfly. It was released in 2010 and it is still out there, moving!

We have two coins that found their way home from the US to Hungary in 4 years, one came home from Turkey, one from Slovakia. All real coins, not proxies. About the same number of coins got lost. My little son lost all his travelers so far. :-( So, it is a question of luck.

Proxies are generally very disappointing, unless they are really well made. I am not willing to move the laminated thingies.

That's a nice (albeit expensive) idea - to buy two of the coins.

I guess another one of my peeves (not to be taken heavily since I'm still very new) is when a cacher dips a trackable over and over without dropping it anywhere. It seems easy to just "select all trackables" every time you post a log, but forget to send them on their way to a new cacher.

This is fantastic to hear.

Was it this one by chance? http://www.geocachin...aspx?id=3034779

That is an example of one of the problems! Strobus' log says that a friend took it but yet 45ish days later, it still is logged into the cache.

Yes, you are right! This is the one! I am surprised it is still logged into that cache and will ask around, because I remember someone saying that he would take it to London, after I did not dare to take it, but I do not remember who that was. We see very few coins in Hungary, so when we do, we try to be very careful with them and get them out of the country as soon as possible, so it does not disappear here and gives Hungarians bad reputation. :-)

Even proxies are not safe, I have a wooden coin which got cracked before I could release it, so I picked up an appropriate key chain that was related to the coins background and attached a laminate card, got picked up and they don't even log in to geocaching anymore. I lost a Travel bug with a nice keychain from its first cache drop. Might as well just start dropping $5 bills, cheaper and at least there's no question of will someone take off with it.

I guess another one of my peeves (not to be taken heavily since I'm still very new) is when a cacher dips a trackable over and over without dropping it anywhere. It seems easy to just "select all trackables" every time you post a log, but forget to send them on their way to a new cacher.

Sometimes they won't fit in the container, or the container is not exactly clean (moldy). I have carried a few for a long time before finding an ammo box they would fit in. Also some of us keep our personal coins with us and dip them, I had to hike 27 kms on 5 different trails over a 200 kms drive to earn a limited edition coin that most had previous been stolen from caches, I'm not releaseing that one.

Don't be too concerned too early. Patience is the key with wild traveling coins. I've had coins disappear immediately and coins that still travel regularly after almost ten years. One of my favorite travelers has disappeared twice for almost 4 years each time, but it's still out there traveling. If you're really personally attached to a coin, I'd recommend keeping it in your caching bag and sharing with cachers met on the trail. Let them discover your coin and you'll have a permanent electronic journal of all the people you've met. :)

Just before Christmas on our trip round the world, we left a beautiful new geocoin in a cache in Carmel, California. Within days it had been taken and we believe we know by whom. They logged their visit to the cache and even said that they had taken it but they never logged it as being in their possession. E-mails to those individuals have produced no answers (surprise, surprise). From now on we refuse to subsidise somebody else's acquisitive hobby and will buy no more geocoins or trackables.

I understand what you are saying about being peeved that someone is dipping a coin instead of placing it, but here is my perspective on that: Sometimes the person who has picked up your coin is wanting to show that it has not dropped off the face of the earth and into someone's personal collection. I have currently in my geo bag 5 trackables that I need to find new homes for. The problem is that 3 of them require a fairly good sized cache. One is actually a child's doll attached to a dog tag. The other issue is that I want to make sure it goes to a cache that has some decent movement. I will not drop into a cache that is only visited once a month. I want a cache that is visited daily by new people. One where there is a good chance of it going with a new cacher that will continue to travel it. So my dips are to show the owner that I have intention of continuing the coin/TB on and am just waiting for the proper cache.

As for the difference between a laminated card, a replica proxy, a dog tag or a coin, I would prefer coins, but I will help any different TB to travel. I found one the other day that was released by the cacher's son. He sounded so excited to have released his own TB. I am proud to help that little boy see some new pictures of where his coin has traveled.