Changes Not Documented

kayakbird

Seems like I'm running across quite a few of these (at least 1%) in my current photo sorting project. I did make a note on both my log and recovery of this one out in Montana's Big Open.

"SQ0098'RECOVERY NOTE BY GEOCACHING 2012 (MEL)

-------------------

SQ0098'USE WITH CAUTION - ORIGINAL 1935 DATE HAS BEEN GROUND OUT AND 1960

SQ0098'OVER-STAMPED. THE CONCRETE POST IS ROUND, NOT SQUARE LIKE THE REST OF

SQ0098'THE 1935 263 STRING."

Just now checked some of the 262 string, also set in 1935 in slightly tapered square top concrete posts. Did not make a note in my field book, but believe that the photo shows this post protruding less than data sheet call - 'SQ0098'PROJECTING 7 INCHES.'

1935 ground out and 1960 added -SQ0098

9edc8c56-35fd-4d4f-b6b3-1a2551ce453f.jpg

I think that it was re-set because of the different post shape; and definitely a date over stamp.

Better Big Open View 2.4 mi NW

7fac9520-0fa3-434e-ab11-22a512f7471d.jpg

I'll dig out a few more after Turkey Day - wish that I had thought to make a notion column in my Excel database. Would like to see logs & photos of similar discrepancies. kayakbird

That's pretty strange and I can't explain it. I can only add confusion, as follows:

Theory 1 would be an undocumented reset, but I'd have expected them to at least stamp it RESET. I think SOP would have been to leave the original stamping and add RESET 1960.

Theory 2 would be that the monuments were set in 1935 by US C&GS but not leveled at that time. In 1960 the USGS was doing preliminary work for the topo maps and found this one disturbed. Either USGS or CGS reset it while working the 154 series. Since it had no data on it, they didn't stamp it reset. Then they did the level run through the 263 series some time before the 1965 recovery report.

Some other monuments in the area are listed as MONUMENTED 1960 CGS, but I don't think the MONUMENTED tag is really a reliable indicator of who set the disk, but may have more to do with who took the data.

But why would the 154's be monumented in 1960 and the much higher number 263 have been done in 1935 by CGS?