Animated Gif's

Auld Pharrrt

Hi everyone.

Usually I can find some sort of workaround to get this up and running, but this time I'm stymied.

I have a small animated gif that I like to use as my profile avatar or even just use it in one of my TB listings.

I cannot figure out how to get it up onto Geocaching.com

Any suggestions?

P.S. I should have mentioned that it's only the animated gif I can't get working, I can upload anything I need.

Edited by Auld Pharrrt

Hi everyone.

Usually I can find some sort of workaround to get this up and running, but this time I'm stymied.

I have a small animated gif that I like to use as my profile avatar or even just use it in one of my TB listings.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I should have mentioned that it's only the animated gif I can't get working, I can upload anything I need.

I'm fairly certain animated GIFs won't animate if used as your avatar. However, I just tried adding an animated GIF to one of my trackable listings, and it animates just fine. You can see it here (you can't miss it! :laughing: ).

Hi everyone.

Any suggestions?

I'm fairly certain animated GIFs won't animate if used as your avatar. However, I just tried adding an animated GIF to one of my trackable listings, and it animates just fine. You can see it here (you can't miss it! :laughing: ).

Thank you so much ... I will look at the source for the page and see how ity was done, for some reason my gif just will not animate, and I tried what yoiu have done, so probably my link was busted or something.

This is what I needed ... :)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=6568003

I have had this wee gif for years and years, I used to use it as my avatar where animations are allowed, probably for at least the past 15 to 20 years!

Ron.

Edited by Auld Pharrrt

Hopefully what you're trying to do is not possible. I don't want to see animated gifs in cache page logs or in the forums. Thank you Groundspeak for blocking these!

Thank you for your input, but my opinion is different.

You are likely going to find yourself in the minority here. Every so often people will ask how to add video, music etc in their listings or logs and the general response here is no we don't want it.

Thank you Lil Devil and Walts Hunting (and anyone else who feels either way) for your opinions and input.

I guess I can understand where you guys/gals who dislike animated gif's are coming from. I admit I would find them a bit annoying if/when relying on a slow mobile data connection etc. But, I'm happy and thankful that Groundspeak do allow them as I have now got it up and running the way I wanted it. If it's any consolation, the animated gif is only used on 1 of my TB's (that's 1 out of 37, soon to be 47) and is extremely unlikely to be used again.

As I live in a fairly remote part of the Scottish Highlands, although remotely possible, it's extremely unlikely that anyone raising concerns about the use of them on this forum will ever come in contact with this 1 TB so, unless you go clicking on the link I included in an earlier post, you'll probably never see it or be inconvenienced by it.

Happy caching folks.

Edited by Auld Pharrrt