Hide disabled Caches on Map

capsai

I requested this when I visited Groundspeak HQ in June. The lackey I talked to said it sounded like a good suggestion, but nothing happened.

You already have 2 buttons to filter out "My Finds" and "My Hides". It seems like it would be simple to add 2 more buttons for "Temp Disabled" and "Archived"

Another alternative that might be an even easier fix would be to have both "Temp Disabled" and "Archived" caches show up as "Red" boxes instead of Green on the map.

Yes, I know you can zoom in and they show up as Grey boxes, but this would be much quicker and easier.

I've only been caching for 15 months and have just over 3000 finds. I like to focus on an area and try to find all the caches in that area. I'm always checking for new caches in an area, and when I see a green box, I have to look to see if it's a new one, a previous DNF or a disabled cache. Filtering out disabled caches would be VERY helpful.

Here's the most recent explanation I've written on this subject:

The map view already let's us filter out my hides and finds, as well as individual or groups of cache types. Seems filtering out disabled caches is a logical step.

This is by design, to alert geocachers that something is wrong with a cache they may otherwise have targeted for a visit. And, if the cache has been disabled for too long and is annoying you to see it on the map all the time, having disabled caches visible is an incentive for logging a "Needs Archived."

The map view already let's us filter out my hides and finds, as well as individual or groups of cache types. Seems filtering out disabled caches is a logical step.

This is by design, to alert geocachers that something is wrong with a cache they may otherwise have targeted for a visit. And, if the cache has been disabled for too long and is annoying you to see it on the map all the time, having disabled caches visible is an incentive for logging a "Needs Archived."

I'm sure that you didn't intend it this way but that sounds like the feature is intended to encourage people to post a N/A on a cache even if they didn't visit the location.

I'm sure that you didn't intend it this way but that sounds like the feature is intended to encourage people to post a N/A on a cache even if they didn't visit the location.

I think he did intend it that way. That would be the whole point of forcing disabled caches to show up on the map. It's not as if anyone's going to be encouraged to look for a disabled cache when they see it on the map.

And I'm not worried about him making that argument, either. If you have so many disabled caches on the map that they're a problem, you should address the disabled caches, not the fact that the map doesn't let you pretend they aren't there. (Although I don't really think that's a good argument for not having this feature.)

I think he did intend it that way. That would be the whole point of forcing disabled caches to show up on the map. It's not as if anyone's going to be encouraged to look for a disabled cache when they see it on the map.

And I'm not worried about him making that argument, either. If you have so many disabled caches on the map that they're a problem, you should address the disabled caches, not the fact that the map doesn't let you pretend they aren't there. (Although I don't really think that's a good argument for not having this feature.)

Anyone can bring up the map for any place around the world. I just don't think we should encourage those that could be several thousand miles away hitting the N/A button on disabled caches that they have never attempted or will attempt.

Anyone can bring up the map for any place around the world. I just don't think we should encourage those that could be several thousand miles away hitting the N/A button on disabled caches that they have never attempted or will attempt.

No, I don't want to encourage people with insufficient knowledge of the local area to post any kind of maintenance log, but nor do I want to discourage someone local to an area that has a preponderance of disabled caches from posting an NA without bothering to waste time looking for what's obviously a missing cache.