Uploading caches from geocaching.com to eTrex 10

saxdr

I have a Garmin eTrex 10 that I uploaded some caches to through the geocaching.com website. Garmin Communicator is loaded, seems to be working fine. I can see the GPX files when I plug my GPS into the computer and navigate to the GPS from Windows Explorer (internal structure looks intact, XMLish looking format), but when I unplug I can't access them with the GPS. I've read through the forums and Googled around, but haven't been able to find anything helpful. Anyone else having/had this problem?

Could be corrupt GPX files. Or GPX files with too many caches loaded. Might try removing all of the GPX files you loaded, re-start the GPS, then re-load a file or two and see if it loads up.

Another issue, but more to do with Mac computers, is that deleting items off the GPS or SD card simply moved them to the trash bin. Until actually emptying the trash, the files were still taking up space on the GPS or SD card. I don't think Windows has that problem, but it's worth a try, too.

Windows definitely does not have that problem. All deleted files on peripheral storage devices go to the PC's trash can - which is only sensible. Still don't understand why Apple doesn't understand that. Was especially true in the 'old days' when capacity of peripheral devices was minimal.

But back to the original question:

HOW are you loading the devices from gc.com to your eTrex unit? There are a couple of ways to get them to your unit, even using Communicator (which is passe at this point -- you need to bone up on pocket queries and do them in bulk -- much easier!). Which folder on your unit are you finding them in?

Edited by ecanderson