going on a cruise: geocaching while in port

I am going on a cruise in April (information below). I am thinking about doing some Geocaching while in port and am wondering if any other geocachers have been geocaching while on a cruise? If so, do you have any advice for me about Geocaching while in port?

I will be sailing on the Carnival Dream

4/10/2016 New Orleans, LA

4/11/2016 Fun Day At Sea

4/12/2016 Fun Day At Sea

4/13/2016 Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

4/14/2016 Belize

4/15/2016 Cozumel, Mexico

4/16/2016 Fun Day At Sea

4/17/2016 New Orleans, LA

Nice Itinerary!

There are awesome caches in New Orleans.

GCGFHX ▼ Marie Laveau, Voodoo Queen -- 366 Favs (This is a must!, but I think you need to part of the tour now)

GCRJJG Pirate Alley -- 157 Favs

GC6F22 ▼ Virtual Cache, Military History Series - National WWII Museum -- 134 Favs (Spend a couple of hours here, well worth it)

Haven't been to the other cool places you are heading... enjoy!

Do some research and figure out how many caches are within walking distance of the docks. If there's not enough, consider renting a car or hiring a car and driver.

When we went on a cruise to Alaska, we determined there was only a few caches near the docks. So when we got into port, we went to the line of taxis and hired one for a flat rate for 4 hours. At one place we did 6 hours and found all 27 caches in the entire town, up to 8 miles from the docks. If the first driver you talk to balks, go to the next driver. If the driver doesn't speak your language, move on. You need to communicate directions, and it's nice to get some local info (amateur tour guide stuff) so you need a driver that speaks your language. In 6 ports, we only found one driver unwilling to be hired for a flat fee. Most were very happy as they usually only get a few short fares all day long.

You could also contact the local taxi or tour companies ahead of time, but then the company wants a cut. We found the best rates can be had by face-to-face bargaining.

Do some research and figure out how many caches are within walking distance of the docks. If there's not enough, consider renting a car or hiring a car and driver

Hiring a car & driver on a Caribbean island requires caution. When we cruised a few years ago, one stop was in Jamaica. A couple did just that for what was a reasonable fee, but when they were far from port, the driver charged them $200 more to take them back. They were at the purser's desk complaining, but there was nothing that could be done.

In Roatan we did a tour named Best of Roatan (not with the ship, but with local tour operator since we all know ship's excursions are too expensive ;) ) which you can do with other cruisers or just own your own(contact me via message if you need info, don't want to advertise for tour operators here). During this tour you get the see interesting spots and for lunch you'll stop at Moon over Roatan . We also found the caches Roaming in Roatan and Mahogany Bay Cache just by asking our driver to stop there as well.

In Cozumel we did Cruise & Cache in Cozumel which is within walking distance of the ships.

Belize we visited on a cruise as well, but this was BC (Before Caching).

Enjoy your cruise!

We've cached on all 8 cruises we've done in the last 3 yeaRS. On our first cruise we used a Garmin Nuvi that we bought in our first port of call, Hobart and used it around New Zealand. That's how we started caching. When we got to port we would go to the nearest library or Internet cafe and write out on paper coordinates + hints and D/T of all the caches close by. We would then manually input the coords and off we'd go. By next cruise we had an Etrex.

These days we load PQs into GSAK on our netbook for all the places we'll be. Earlier this year we put every cache in Mexico into our Etrex 20s. Also this year we cruised Canada/Alaska and Sydney/Perth via New Zealand.

Caching this way can take you to interesting, little known places, scenic or historic, that you would never have found doing a ships tour. Also watch out for any events in your ports of call as other cruisers often set them up to meet locals and other cruisers. Check out your cruise roll call (on Cruise Critic.com)for other likeminded caching cruisers.

Several of us went to Greece and in Athens we negotiated for two taxis to take us around for 3 hours. They had no idea at the beginning what we were doing, but the drivers got curious and we explained what geocaching was. Instead of 3 hours they insisted that we continue for free as long as they could join in. What fun! We made 2 new friends in Athens and they helped us find many more caches. Saw places not on the regular tourist tour, but were fantastic to see!!

I've cached on several cruises. Those caches are some of my favorite memories. Like the time we took a cab to a cache at a nude beach (that was a DNF) and then to an FTF nearby. Our driver was so amused by us that she took us by her house on the way back to the ship to meet her grandson.

Or like the time I took a cab to get a cache which was a quite difficult hike. I had a cab drop me off at a nearby spot that I had pre-scouted and told the driver to pick me up in an hour. I just barely made it!

Or like the virtual I was able to do from the ship itself as we passed through the Panama Canal.

My advice: plan ahead! Don't wait until you get there to start looking for nearby caches!

I regularly cache while on a cruise. I'll suggest a few things not mentioned.

1. I like to host an event at the first port of call, as close to the ship as possible. In the description, I note that I am on the ship and suggest that if there are other catchers aboard, they contact me. I've discovered other catchers on several cruises and met several local catchers -- one of whom drove me around caching for several hours.

2. Load wayopints onto your GPS and the pocket query onto your smart phone. Being able to look at the description, recent logs, etc. is often helpful.

3. Bring a travel bug or two and find a safe place to leave them. If there is no safe place, bring it home.

My advice: plan ahead! Don't wait until you get there to start looking for nearby caches!

Yes, planning ahead is definitely the key. I found it particularly important to look at exactly where the ship's going to dock because that's often significantly far from where you'd expect judging from the port of call.

By the way, one thing I discovered was that PQs can be expanded to at least a 500 mile radius, which is just silly at home, but it turned out to cover several stops in our Panama cruise without getting anywhere near the 1500 cache limit.

1. I like to host an event at the first port of call, as close to the ship as possible. In the description, I note that I am on the ship and suggest that if there are other catchers aboard, they contact me. I've discovered other catchers on several cruises and met several local catchers -- one of whom drove me around caching for several hours.

And, on the other side, make sure to check for any events to see if any happen while you're docked.

3. Bring a travel bug or two and find a safe place to leave them. If there is no safe place, bring it home.

And if you can't find a safe place, don't forget to have the TB at least visit one of the unsafe caches you did find. And whether you drop the TB or let it visit, be sure to edit the log to talk about the TB's adventure and attach pictures.

We just got back from a 14 day cruise , and found at least one cache in every port. Lots of fun and met several other geocachers along the way. Left a couple of TB along the way, and they are now travelling in Europe. On our cruise various groups had prearrange meetings on various days. I think on our next cruise, I am going to see if I can host a geocache event on board. Would be interesting to see how many geocachers there are on board. Good luck

I think on our next cruise, I am going to see if I can host a geocache event on board.

For a few different reasons, an actual geocaching event cannot be held on board. It's better to have them on shore, anyway, since that would allow a local to come or someone from another boat. Those are remote possibilities, but very cool ones.

I think on our next cruise, I am going to see if I can host a geocache event on board. Would be interesting to see how many geocachers there are on board. Good luck

I know with my other hobby, Where's George, we had a few Where's George Cruisefest. I hope that one day, there will be an Geocaching Cruisefest.

Edited by Justin Of Terrytown

We've just booked our first Caribbean cruise in March 2016. The itinerary is San Juan (Puerto Rico), Bridgetown (Barbados), Castries (St Lucia), St Johns (Antigua), Phillipsburg (St Maarten), Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas). I'm just a bit excited :D

I'll be trying to take your advice and planning ahead, although no internet on board without paying extortionate fees!

Those that have arranged events, how have you chosen the venue? Have you based it on previous events and hoped your ship docks in the same places?

This is our second cruise, but the first in the Caribbean. B)

We've just booked our first Caribbean cruise in March 2016. The itinerary is San Juan (Puerto Rico), Bridgetown (Barbados), Castries (St Lucia), St Johns (Antigua), Phillipsburg (St Maarten), Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas). I'm just a bit excited :D

I'll be trying to take your advice and planning ahead, although no internet on board without paying extortionate fees!

Those that have arranged events, how have you chosen the venue? Have you based it on previous events and hoped your ship docks in the same places?

This is our second cruise, but the first in the Caribbean. B)

I look for previous events, but also look for the cruise ship terminal.

I think on our next cruise, I am going to see if I can host a geocache event on board.

For a few different reasons, an actual geocaching event cannot be held on board. It's better to have them on shore, anyway, since that would allow a local to come or someone from another boat. Those are remote possibilities, but very cool ones.

I don't know of a reason why you can't have an event onboard on the first day at sea. There are all kinds of meet-ups going on, we've been to several. Are you referring to Groundspeak rules or ship rules?

Edit to ask: would this be a "Traveling Event"?

Edited by tallglenn

I don't know of a reason why you can't have an event onboard on the first day at sea. There are all kinds of meet-ups going on, we've been to several. Are you referring to Groundspeak rules or ship rules?

Groundspeak rules. Events have to be at a fixed location, known in advance. There's also a problem with the fact that attendance requires being on the cruise.

I am going on a cruise in April (information below). I am thinking about doing some Geocaching while in port and am wondering if any other geocachers have been geocaching while on a cruise? If so, do you have any advice for me about Geocaching while in port?

I will be sailing on the Carnival Dream

4/10/2016 New Orleans, LA

4/11/2016 Fun Day At Sea

4/12/2016 Fun Day At Sea

4/13/2016 Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

4/14/2016 Belize

4/15/2016 Cozumel, Mexico

4/16/2016 Fun Day At Sea

4/17/2016 New Orleans, LA

We, Veterantributes and I, will also be on the cruise. Would love to maybe grab some of those caches together, I already have pocket query run for each stop, maybe grab a meal together while on ship.

I would love to meet up with you and Veterantributes. I have only met one other Geocacher (at a cemetery oddly enough) so I would like to meet some more.

Hire a driver when you get there. Outside the port there are plenty of companies and drivers offering a tour of the island. Tell them you don't want the tour, bring out your geocaching map and say "These are the places we want to go". The driver often takes a gradual interest and sometimes they help search before the day is over. Stay near the ship when hiring someone and you are less likely to get ripped off they do a good job of keeping the crooks further out. We rented a car and drove ourselves once, it wasn't worth it we spent half the time navigating, plus the hassle of picking up and returning the car and getting gas. You're not in port very long and you don't want to waste that much time.

On 11/22/2015 at 1:11 PM, RedsSockpuppet said:

Nice Itinerary!

There are awesome caches in New Orleans.

GCGFHX ▼ Marie Laveau, Voodoo Queen -- 366 Favs (This is a must!, but I think you need to part of the tour now)

GCRJJG Pirate Alley -- 157 Favs

GC6F22 ▼ Virtual Cache, Military History Series - National WWII Museum -- 134 Favs (Spend a couple of hours here, well worth it)

Haven't been to the other cool places you are heading... enjoy!

Check logs on GCRJJG first. It os presently disabled due to construction.

While I realize this cruise is past, I have great experience in Geocaching and cruising. Having started cruising in 1983 and later in 2008 Geocaching it is a perfect way to see the world. I have seen baby Penguins in the Falkland Islands only a few feet away while others on tours had to stay back hundreds of yards. This occurred because of a cache we were getting.

I have cruised literately around the world and Geocached along the way.

There is no need to buy a SD Map card. Use OSM maps as they are free and updated every few weeks. They are available for around the world, did I say they are free?
Buying and using SD cards can be a problem. Italy for instance draws VERY slowly on a GPS especially in Venice. OSM does not have this problem. 
You can also order a complete map for your whole trip and not have to have several SD cards.

If cruising the Caribbean make sure you download ALL caches on the island. One never knows what may happen when you arrive in port. Excursions get cancelled or previous plans go sideways. This happened to me on Dominica and we had to book something else last minute, thank fully I loaded the whole island. We arrived at a park on the other side of the island and looked at the GPS and there was an Earthcache there. Take trade Items to give to locals such as Flag pins. There was a group of us in St. Kitts that did the Vet College and the cache was in the Guard House. After giving the Guards pins we were offered a tour of the Vet College.

Don't be afraid to rent a car in places and go over the island. I did this in Lanzarote in the Canary Islands and managed to climb a dormant Volcano and look inside and then go and do a cache at what the locals call La Bomba's and then look inside a Jamous. 

Visiting a church in Athens that was built around 1050. Had I not been Geocaching and stopped to do the cache I would never have known this information because the sign was in Greek and the group had no idea what it said. It was Greek to us after-all....

Contact local cachers and ask for advice. You may be surprised what will come of this. I have met many local cachers because of this.

Keep your head about you is a must. If there are 2 or more of you always have one person watching out. There are several reasons for this. It is likely you may not speak the local language and this could pose a real problem. There were 3 of us looking for a metal tube behind an electrical box in the Canary islands once near a bus loop. Local Police pulled up about 200 meters away and got out carrying machine guns. Having seen this I advised the other 2 to stop looking. I don't think no one wants to be seen removing or replacing a metal tube behind an electrical box in some places around the world. Think of recent events here.
You also want to protect the group from things like pick pockets and being robbed.
You may have to visit a store and ask for a cache in some places around the world. The store owner may not be the CO but is the local guardian. How about bring food to a house and having Tea with a local family in the South Pacific to get a cache.
I have had to tip a local in a flea market to get a cache because they set up their booth in from of the cache and they know the cache is there and won't give it to you unless your cross their palm with some money.

Watch out for others in your group as you walk as we were recently in Vietnam and one of the group had their head down looking at their GPS and stepped off a curb without looking and was grabbed and pulled back as they were about to get hit by a taxi. We all get fixated on our GPS at times.

We had a group this year that cruised to India where our group rented a house boat to take a tour and do a cache on an Island.

I also advise take LOTS of water with you. Local bottled water can not always be trusted.

Now when you log your caches make sure your date is correct that you are logging on. If you use GSAK and GSAK is set to your local time zone (say North America) at home and your GPS is set to local time say in Asia you can end up logging the cache the day before. 

Virtual caches in places other than North America are a great way to see some pretty Historic Places.

It is a big world out there and lots to see. How about being on a cruise sailing through the Gulf of Oman and hearing that a freighter was taken by Pirates 18 hours before you get there? or a Sand Storm as you cruise a few days later up the Red Sea. This happened to our group this past March.

Hope this helps.

Now you may understand why I have the Geocaching name I do.

PhilatSea

• Upvote 1