Garmin Etrex losing caches

Bollytwo

Does anyone have a definitive answer to why Garmin (Etrex 30) lose caches? I've been using this gps for quite a while now. I download Pocket Queries from geocaching.com and copy them directly to the GPX folder on my Garmin. Often that works OK but just as often it doesn't. If I attach my device to Basecamp the caches appear to be on the device but when using the GPS in earnest out on a walk I often find that they aren't seen on the GPS. My PC is running Windows 10, Basecamp is 4.5.2 and the Garmin is 4.30

How many caches are you loading at a time?

I suspect what you are seeing is the result of a GPX indexing failure.

The GPX file IS on your GPS, but the device is having issues indexing the GPX file or files that are on the device.

I found with my eTrex 20 that once I put more 1200 caches on the device, the chances of an indexing failure increased.

For that reason, I put the caches on a microSD card, so it can be removed in the field to resolve the problem.

I had indexing on another garmin unit - it would not show every cache in the gpx file or would only show the newer gpx file, if I transferred a file to the device at a separate time. I once spent a lot of time with garmin technical support while I recreated the problem over and over again. The only thing they suggested was that I use the newer gpx file version. It did not help.

To resolve an index problem you have to remove the gpx files from your device do that it can restart and reindex the caches,and then reload the file,restarting again so that the system will create a new index. As a previous poster said, this is easier to do if you are using an sd card because you can simply remove the card, restart the device without the card, and then reinsert it so that a new index will be created when the unit is again started.