Probing Tools

Gungadoy

Share your favorite tools or thoughts!

Besides my economy metal detector, let me share with my fellow benchmarkers what I believe could be the best probe tool out there; maybe or maybe not? If you're looking for a new probe, you need to check it out.

Technically, it's called by Sears, a Craftsman Rolling Wedge Bar, but I call it the 'emancipator'!

It won't bend, so it easily pry's rocks out of the way. It penetrates deep into the dirt, like going into butter, and when it hits concrete it makes a distinctive sound, 'clink'; that's the best sound to hear when probing for benchmarks. Then I blurt out to myself, found it! Also, works great if you need to hammer it deeper into tougher ground or secure one end of a measuring tape.

For Geocaching, an awesome probe for tree's and sketchy holes. And 'no', I don't work at Sears!

302d5e8b-5d7f-4d25-9c23-b697fcd16bdd.png

Edited by Gungadoy

I like it! I may add one to my arsenal.

I had a friend custom make a probe for me--a 3/8" steel bar with a short length of pipe welded across the top as a handle. It works well but is still a bit "bendy" at times so I can't force it into hard ground without making it into a curve. I had it made about 3 feet long so I can use it standing up and walking, which is great for searching for that "clink" across a wide area.

That looks like a very effective tool for those marks that have been covered by an accumulation over the years. For deep ones like some buried tri-stations, a commercial tile probe or the one mloser had made are needed.

But whatever you are using, always remember to look around for utility route signs, telephone pedestals, or fiber optic equipment pits. Puncturing any utility would be a very bad experience.

Share your favorite tools or thoughts!

Besides my economy metal detector, let me share with my fellow benchmarkers what I believe could be the best probe tool out there; maybe or maybe not? If you're looking for a new probe, you need to check it out.

Technically, it's called by Sears, a Craftsman Rolling Wedge Bar, but I call it the 'emancipator'!

It won't bend, so it easily pry's rocks out of the way. It penetrates deep into the dirt, like going into butter, and when it hits concrete it makes a distinctive sound, 'clink'; that's the best sound to hear when probing for benchmarks. Then I blurt out to myself, found it! Also, works great if you need to hammer it deeper into tougher ground or secure one end of a measuring tape.

For Geocaching, an awesome probe for tree's and sketchy holes. And 'no', I don't work at Sears!

302d5e8b-5d7f-4d25-9c23-b697fcd16bdd.png

I'd like to get one of those. How do I?

When I was seeking a disk which was 1 foot underground near Columbus, Ohio, a local farmer offered me the use of his tile probe. Voila!! It worked!! I immediately ordered one online and have used it ever since. When you don't have a metal detector, it's a very useful tool. The probing part has a rounded edge so it doesn't puncture anything.

I am using a 3/16" dia 8" long screwdriver. I saw that Harbor Freight sells a pair of 22" long screwdrivers for $4.99 that I may purchase. Longer sounds better but when I was using a 10" long 1/4" dia screwdriver, often I couldn't penetrate the soil to that depth. Rocks and roots do make probing more dfficult.

When my garden trowel doesn't do the job, I have a small 2 foot shovel that is great for digging.