Mystery cache answers posted online

Twinklekitkat

I created a new mystery cache that published on 11/12/2015. I made it premium and have the ability to see who has viewed it. This morning (Monday) I glanced at the audit log and have found a whole lot of user names I'm unfamiliar with. So of course I looked some of them up. One is from Great Britain, 1 from Sweden, 1 from Canada, 1 has never even logged a cache. Why would all these users suddenly have an interest in my mystery cache? Is there a way to see if the answer is now on the internet somewhere? I'm sure most of these people will never seek the cache so I'm not sure how they came to look at the page in the first place or why it matters to them. Also, there are now suddenly a whole lot of correct answers in the checker as well. I don't have a faceplace account but I do know there are some groups that give out the answers. I don't get why you want someone to just give you the answer to a puzzle cache. To me the fun of finding a mystery cache is solving the puzzle. Asking for help is one thing but to just blatantly get the answer seems stupid to me.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to avoid this in the future? Is there a checker that's less likely to be compromised than another? Doesn't seem fair to those who have actually worked to solve the mystery.

On the upside, maybe more people will find it.

Place the puzzle text within an image. Then create a process on a web server somewhere that serves up the image dynamically, which contains an http handler that looks at the users IP address, filtering out IP ranges that are distinctly different than those assigned to your geographical area.

Ok, not as simple and clear cut as it sounds. But it's possible to get close.

I created a new mystery cache that published on 11/12/2015. I made it premium and have the ability to see who has viewed it. This morning (Monday) I glanced at the audit log and have found a whole lot of user names I'm unfamiliar with. So of course I looked some of them up. One is from Great Britain, 1 from Sweden, 1 from Canada, 1 has never even logged a cache. Why would all these users suddenly have an interest in my mystery cache? Is there a way to see if the answer is now on the internet somewhere? I'm sure most of these people will never seek the cache so I'm not sure how they came to look at the page in the first place or why it matters to them. Also, there are now suddenly a whole lot of correct answers in the checker as well. I don't have a faceplace account but I do know there are some groups that give out the answers. I don't get why you want someone to just give you the answer to a puzzle cache. To me the fun of finding a mystery cache is solving the puzzle. Asking for help is one thing but to just blatantly get the answer seems stupid to me.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to avoid this in the future? Is there a checker that's less likely to be compromised than another? Doesn't seem fair to those who have actually worked to solve the mystery.

On the upside, maybe more people will find it.

Well, count one from Canada who got the correct coordinates for one of your puzzle caches. B)

I don't see what the problem is. Folks are reading your cache pages, attempting the puzzles, and checking on a coordinate checking site. Just like I just did with the easiest puzzle to solve (for me).

Unless you're getting fake "found it" logs, I don't see why this is a problem.

Your thread title says "answers posted online". Why do you think that the answers are posted online? Using the coordinate checker isn't "posting answers online".

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I published a mystery/puzzle cache several months ago and had the same thing happen - audit log showing lots of views by folks in other parts of the country. Turned out the solution had been posted to a Facebook page called "Geocache Puzzle Spoiler", which is basically devoted entirely to publishing answers to puzzle caches.

There at also people who just enjoy puzzles.

That is true and I am one of those people. But this is just weird to me. I would expect maybe a handful of people who enjoy puzzles, who are not from my local area. Not 30 or more on the same date and within hours of each other.

I've solved at least a couple hundred puzzle caches that I will likely never search for.

I have also solved quite a few puzzles that I *do* plan on trying to find because I will be traveling to the area where the puzzle is located.

There is at least one Geocaching Puzzles group on Facebook where geocaching puzzles are discussed. The one I've read has a policy that one is not supposed to share exact solutions and a puzzle cache will not be discussed if there has not yet been a FTF. Personally, I don't think people should be asking for (and especially sharing) hints without at least trying to contact the CO first, but it happens. It could be that your cache came up on that FB group or elsewhere and that's prompted a few people to look at it and try to solve it.

I published a mystery/puzzle cache several months ago and had the same thing happen - audit log showing lots of views by folks in other parts of the country. Turned out the solution had been posted to a Facebook page called "Geocache Puzzle Spoiler", which is basically devoted entirely to publishing answers to puzzle caches.

I checked...yes, your puzzle was posted to that Facebook page. It's been publicly spoiled. I'll advise you not to publicly make an issue of it on that page. It only ends up bringing more attention to your other puzzles that may end up getting spoiled on the same page. It's frustrating and maddening...but it happened to me and my advice comes from personal experience with this group.

Place the puzzle text within an image. Then create a process on a web server somewhere that serves up the image dynamically, which contains an http handler that looks at the users IP address, filtering out IP ranges that are distinctly different than those assigned to your geographical area.

The problem with this type of approach, is that it blocks people who are legitimately looking for puzzles in areas where they'll be travelling to. There are puzzle series local to me that many people from other states/countries 'found' when they came into town for the Block Party. If an IP blocker was used, then those folks wouldn't have been able to work on those puzzles.

I have looked at many, and solved some, puzzles in states that I might be travelling to.

The problem with this type of approach, is that it blocks people who are legitimately looking for puzzles in areas where they'll be travelling to. There are puzzle series local to me that many people from other states/countries 'found' when they came into town for the Block Party. If an IP blocker was used, then those folks wouldn't have been able to work on those puzzles.

I have looked at many, and solved some, puzzles in states that I might be travelling to.

Wouldn't that really violate the Groundspeak terms of use? You'd be using their own listing service to block access to a page from anyone deemed unfit by the CO. Sounds like a good way to get kicked off to me.

There at also people who just enjoy puzzles.

That is true and I am one of those people. But this is just weird to me. I would expect maybe a handful of people who enjoy puzzles, who are not from my local area. Not 30 or more on the same date and within hours of each other.

By the way, I looked at your puzzle cache and solved it. I was a fan of the puzzle's theme and remember missing it when it was cancelled. Not sure I'll ever be in the area to find it.

I checked...yes, your puzzle was posted to that Facebook page. It's been publicly spoiled. I'll advise you not to publicly make an issue of it on that page. It only ends up bringing more attention to your other puzzles that may end up getting spoiled on the same page. It's frustrating and maddening...but it happened to me and my advice comes from personal experience with this group.

Thanks for checking into that JGrouchy. I had a feeling that was what happened. Saddens me, that's all. :mad:

I do appreciate all of you posters looking at my puzzle and congratulations to those of you who solved it. :D

Not as clear cut and easy as you would expect. I live near Seattle, my ISP assigns me an IP that gives a location in or around Portland, OR. Drives me batty because a number of sites are being cleaver and making life 'easy" for me by using my IP to determine the nearest store. I really don't want the Hood River,OR to be my local store when Poulsbo, WA would be a much better choice. So using you approach I would be excluded even though I'm local.

I live near Seattle, my ISP assigns me an IP that gives a location in or around Portland, OR. Drives me batty because a number of sites are being cleaver and making life 'easy" for me by using my IP to determine the nearest store. I really don't want the Hood River,OR to be my local store when Poulsbo, WA would be a much better choice.
Yeah, I run into the same thing. My ISP's HQ is about 100 miles away, so that's often what ads and "find nearby locations" services assume. The really annoying ones are the ones that let you specify your actual location, but then immediately switch back to the incorrect default location.

Wouldn't that really violate the Groundspeak terms of use? You'd be using their own listing service to block access to a page from anyone deemed unfit by the CO. Sounds like a good way to get kicked off to me.

I qualified my statement as it being over simplified. And I am not recommending anything but suggesting it might (or might not) be possible with enough thought.

I live near Seattle, my ISP assigns me an IP that gives a location in or around Portland, OR. Drives me batty because a number of sites are being cleaver and making life 'easy" for me by using my IP to determine the nearest store. I really don't want the Hood River,OR to be my local store when Poulsbo, WA would be a much better choice.
Yeah, I run into the same thing. My ISP's HQ is about 100 miles away, so that's often what ads and "find nearby locations" services assume. The really annoying ones are the ones that let you specify your actual location, but then immediately switch back to the incorrect default location.

Yep, I work in Minneapolis but corporate is it Toronto.

Thanks for checking into that JGrouchy. I had a feeling that was what happened. Saddens me, that's all. :mad:

I do appreciate all of you posters looking at my puzzle and congratulations to those of you who solved it. :D

I hid a GeoArt series (of course, based on mystery caches). I don't faceplant, but I am told that that entire series (as well as several other of my mystery caches) are listed there. That would certainly explain the number of finds on some of the very tough puzzles. And some of the logs... But that series was archived when my geocaching partner passed away.

And I will admit to having looked at mystery caches far away (Idaho. Minnesota, Nova Scotia.) Looking for interesting puzzles. (The humorous one was one where the CO did not remember how to solve the puzzle!)

I find it truly sad that (so called) geocachers would put the solutions to puzzles on faceplant. Really sad.

This is a common thing for puzzles in our part of the country, for some reason,Twinklekitkat. I've had countless puzzles spoiled on that Facebook page along with many others that I know of in NJ and PA. I do believe it has something to do with the geocheck website that you used. It gets hacked fairly frequently, from what I understand. If you want my advice, don't use a geochecker at all on your next puzzle. Use a checksum instead. If you must use a checker, use one of the less popular ones, such as evince, to keep your puzzle off the radar. Certitudes and geocheck puzzles are normally the ones I see get plastered over the spoiler page.

It doesn't help, of course, that we have a famous "power cacher" relatively close to our area that proudly touts that he has "a team of puzzlers" that solve puzzles for him because he doesn't have time to solve puzzles between finds. At least that's what he told me at an event. This could be the reason why so many of the ? caches in the NJ,PA,DE area end up on the spoiler Facebook page.

Twinklekitkat, I took a look at your interesting puzzles and solved all seven last night, in case you were wondering about the recent activity on your caches. The one puzzle I had the most trouble with was one of the easier ones because I kept grabbing the wrong numbers.

I do look at puzzles from other parts of the country and even though I'm from New Hampshire I have solved and found a number in Nevada (about 90) and cached in Pennsylvania. I agree that trying to somehow block some cachers is not the answer. If it's any consolation the people who use the cheat sites will probably never travel to look for your caches, too much physical effort.

This is a common thing for puzzles in our part of the country, for some reason,Twinklekitkat. I've had countless puzzles spoiled on that Facebook page along with many others that I know of in NJ and PA. I do believe it has something to do with the geocheck website that you used. It gets hacked fairly frequently, from what I understand. If you want my advice, don't use a geochecker at all on your next puzzle. Use a checksum instead. If you must use a checker, use one of the less popular ones, such as evince, to keep your puzzle off the radar. Certitudes and geocheck puzzles are normally the ones I see get plastered over the spoiler page.

I found the FB page that J Grouchy mentioned earlier. I looked at a few of the posts and there are actually explanations of how the puzzles were solved, along with reference links. I don't believe the coords are from hacking a geocheck website. It appears that people are actually solving the puzzles before posting the solutions on the page.

It doesn't help, of course, that we have a famous "power cacher" relatively close to our area that proudly touts that he has "a team of puzzlers" that solve puzzles for him because he doesn't have time to solve puzzles between finds. At least that's what he told me at an event. This could be the reason why so many of the ? caches in the NJ,PA,DE area end up on the spoiler Facebook page.

I didn't see the OP's puzzle, but I probably didn't scroll down enough on the page. There are multiple cache solutions being posted each day, from all over the world. I wonder if your power cacher's "team of puzzlers" is behind the website, or at least contributes to it.

I found the FB page that J Grouchy mentioned earlier. I looked at a few of the posts and there are actually explanations of how the puzzles were solved, along with reference links. I don't believe the coords are from hacking a geocheck website. It appears that people are actually solving the puzzles before posting the solutions on the page.

There are at least two FB groups devoted to puzzles. One is a flat out spoiler site, while the other, called "Geocaching Puzzle Help" is more about helping others solve puzzles.

They have a policy that no hints will be given on a puzzle that has not yet been found and frown on giving out *too much* help (don't post actual solved coordinates). It has links to numerous help sites that can be used to help solve puzzles (cipher solvers, stenography tools, etc).

I know that geocheck was hacked once, but I'm not aware of it being hacked more than that. When it was hacked a year or so ago the solutions were posted on a large spreadsheet posted on FB, which included a lot of other puzzle solutions not on geocheck. The creator of the site was on top of the issue right away and I have not seen anything from him since about a subsequent hack.

There are at least two FB groups devoted to puzzles. One is a flat out spoiler site, while the other, called "Geocaching Puzzle Help" is more about helping others solve puzzles.

They have a policy that no hints will be given on a puzzle that has not yet been found and frown on giving out *too much* help (don't post actual solved coordinates). It has links to numerous help sites that can be used to help solve puzzles (cipher solvers, stenography tools, etc).

The page I looked at was definitely the 'spoiler' page, not the 'help' page. All posts were from the page owner. No posts had comments from others. There was a separate post for each puzzle cache, and each post contained solved coords along with an explanation of how to solve the puzzle.

I've seen the 'help' page before. Different people post puzzle caches on the page, and tips for the puzzle are discussed in the comments of each post.

The page I looked at was definitely the 'spoiler' page, not the 'help' page. All posts were from the page owner. No posts had comments from others. There was a separate post for each puzzle cache, and each post contained solved coords along with an explanation of how to solve the puzzle.

I've seen the 'help' page before. Different people post puzzle caches on the page, and tips for the puzzle are discussed in the comments of each post.

I've observed both groups and not surprisingly, most times when a cache is brought up for help in the "help" group, it makes it to the spoiler page. I believe some of the "puzzle spoiler" network are members of the "help" page as well. I remember when a fellow cacher and I stumbled upon these sites a couple of years ago. It really bothered us at first and we did all kinds of research to try and figure out who these people were until we realized it didn't really matter anyway. There's not anything anybody can do about it except not let it get to you.

There's not anything anybody can do about it except not let it get to you.

Sadly, that is the best advice. People will always try and find caches in the way that is most enjoyable to them, whether that means working for months completely on their own to solve a puzzle, working with a small group of friends over a few beers one night in a pub (my preferred method!), asking the CO for some gentle nudges in the right direction, going out with someone else who solved the puzzle, or turning to a spoiler site and not doing any puzzle work at all. Once a cache is out in the wild, it's pretty much out of the hands of the owner how someone gets the final coordinates and worrying about it will not help.

There's not anything anybody can do about it except not let it get to you.

Well, depending on the type of puzzle and hide, the owner could potentially change the puzzle and move the final. They could leave a note at the old final location saying something like, "Sorry cheaters, the cache isn't here anymore. You're going to have to solve the puzzle!" :laughing:

Well, depending on the type of puzzle and hide, the owner could potentially change the puzzle and move the final. They could leave a note at the old final location saying something like, "Sorry cheaters, the cache isn't here anymore. You're going to have to solve the puzzle!" :laughing:
But be sure to put that note on a non-container object (e.g., a copper plant tag). Otherwise, the container might acquire a "replacement" log, and the cheaters would start signing that.

I'm in Australia and am currently planning 3 overseas trips. I'm looking at puzzles in Singapore, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Germany, Belgium among several others.

We've cached in Singapore and there's no shortage of puzzles there. We filter out the puzzles (and multis) due to, usually, time constraints and just go for traditional.

I just had one publish a few days ago that I suspect, well I'm pretty sure, was spoiled on one of those sites. It's a keyword puzzle and someone guessed the correct coords in the checker. It even had the degrees symbol in the guess, so they obviously copy and pasted it from somewhere without realizing the keyword gives you the coords. I suspect someone named The GPS https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=The+G.P.S

Within an hour after his solve was registered on certitudes I had tons of people viewing from around the world. It's been unfound for about 3 days now and the names before he solved it were all r cognizable to me. Then he solves it and I have Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, GB, California looking at it, and racking solved up on the checker. Anyone else encountering this user with no finds solving your puzzles just before its spoiled?

I just had one publish a few days ago that I suspect, well I'm pretty sure, was spoiled on one of those sites. It's a keyword puzzle and someone guessed the correct coords in the checker. It even had the degrees symbol in the guess, so they obviously copy and pasted it from somewhere without realizing the keyword gives you the coords. I suspect someone named The GPS https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=The+G.P.S

Within an hour after his solve was registered on certitudes I had tons of people viewing from around the world. It's been unfound for about 3 days now and the names before he solved it were all r cognizable to me. Then he solves it and I have Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, GB, California looking at it, and racking solved up on the checker. Anyone else encountering this user with no finds solving your puzzles just before its spoiled?

Seems likely. No finds recorded...so it's likely a "sock puppet" account set up expressly for finding puzzles and checking answers.

When looking at a mystery's statistics I'm sure I would have stuck out lot's of times.

We have a few destinations we like to go as citytrips but we don't always go when first anticipated. I have solved mysteries in Lisbon Portugal, Jersey, Frankfurt, and Luxembourg but we didn't go (yet). I also have solved mysteries and looked at a lot of listings for our upcoming vacation as I do every time.

Of course, having a lot of visits from far away in a short time may indicate the cache was discussed somewhere and most likely it's on a site that shares solutions. I know about a forum where coordinates are exchanged but you need to register to have access so I don't know which or how many cheats are available.

As long as there are no fake logs I guess there's little that can be done about it except changing a few details once in a while so answers for the checker are different (+/-1 for coordinates should work too).

I just had three puzzle caches published. Since I'm not a fan of the facebook puzzle-ruining crowd, I added this text to each:

Our caches are designed to be found, not to frustrate. Please email or message us if you need a hint. We'd rather be the ones to help you than to see this posted on some facebook puzzle cache spoiler group.

We'll see if it works. I'm not going to waste time hanging out on the puzzle spoiler page to see who the cheaters might be.

Yeah I have no issues at all with non local solving, I do that too because I love solving puzzles. And if you feel the need to cheat in order to solve mine, I don't care either. But when you make it so obvious that you paste the correct coords in when it's a keyword puzzle, letting me know straight up that you didn't solve it and you were just hoping for some bonus info or something, I can't help but think, Come...on...really?

I just had three puzzle caches published. Since I'm not a fan of the facebook puzzle-ruining crowd, I added this text to each:

Our caches are designed to be found, not to frustrate. Please email or message us if you need a hint. We'd rather be the ones to help you than to see this posted on some facebook puzzle cache spoiler group.

We'll see if it works. I'm not going to waste time hanging out on the puzzle spoiler page to see who the cheaters might be.

Hope that works but I doubt it will. I completely agree with your view on using sites or lists. I guess there are enough cachers that feel entitled to find every cache, and it doesn't matter that the cache owner may have intentionally created a difficult puzzle (and rated it accordingly) keep those sites active.

I have no problem giving out hints on the few puzzle caches that I still have and even explicit solutions if that's what someone wants but it should be *my choice* whether I do so.

Hope that works but I doubt it will. I completely agree with your view on using sites or lists. I guess there are enough cachers that feel entitled to find every cache, and it doesn't matter that the cache owner may have intentionally created a difficult puzzle (and rated it accordingly) keep those sites active.

I have no problem giving out hints on the few puzzle caches that I still have and even explicit solutions if that's what someone wants but it should be *my choice* whether I do so.

Yup.

But whether it happens or not, life will go on. We'll see how it goes!

I think it's really, really sad that a person can't so much as look at a cache page without arousing suspicion in other geocachers. It's a game, people.

The OP stated the reason she was curious.

I believe she also stated there was an abrupt rise in the number of geochecker correct answers. I'm pretty sure most people would wonder what was going on if this started happening on one of their caches.

I believe she also stated there was an abrupt rise in the number of geochecker correct answers. I'm pretty sure most people would wonder what was going on if this started happening on one of their caches.

But if people are being handed the answer, why are they bothering to geocheck it? Any chance this isn't just someone pointing out the puzzle and lots of people enjoying it even though it's not in their area? If so, that's a good thing, isn't it?

I think it's really, really sad that a person can't so much as look at a cache page without arousing suspicion in other geocachers. It's a game, people.

The comment you have quoted here is from November and is not related to the current discussion about increased geochecker activity. Speaking of suspicious behaviour, I don't really appreciate my comment being taken out of context and looped back in. I hope this was an error.

Edited by narcissa

The comment you have quoted here is from November and is not related to the current discussion about increased geochecker activity. Speaking of suspicious behaviour, I don't really appreciate my comment being taken out of context and looped back in. I hope this was an error.

Ooopps, i thought this was a recent thread. I probably wouldn't have jumped in if i had realized this.

However, i did think that your November comment was aimed towards the OP. If it was, and even though it was made months ago, my opinion would remain the same. I don't think the OP was out of line for being a bit curious or even suspicious.

Your last line has me somewhat befuddled. Suspicious behavior? Out of context? My error was replying to an old thread,, please forgive me.