Can I archive a waymark?

sTeamTraen

This seems obvious, but I can't see how to do it:.

I run a category (Red Telephone Boxes), and one of the items no longer exists. The owner has suggested renaming it to "Legacy <old name>", but I think it would be better just to archive it. The problem is, I can't see an "Archive" function (as the category owner; I can see it on my owned waymarks). I will contact the WM owner and suggest that they archive it, but is there no way for a category owner to archive a waymark - for example, if it's no longer in conformity with the category? I see that one can "re-evaluate" it, but if that results in rejection, it might mess up people's log history.

This seems obvious, but I can't see how to do it:.

I run a category (Red Telephone Boxes), and one of the items no longer exists. The owner has suggested renaming it to "Legacy <old name>", but I think it would be better just to archive it. The problem is, I can't see an "Archive" function (as the category owner; I can see it on my owned waymarks). I will contact the WM owner and suggest that they archive it, but is there no way for a category owner to archive a waymark - for example, if it's no longer in conformity with the category? I see that one can "re-evaluate" it, but if that results in rejection, it might mess up people's log history.

An officer cannot archive a waymark of someone else. And you should never re-evaluate a waymark except for when the initial approval was wrong. It will mess up the log history for sure, no way to circumvent that.

Renaming is the way to go. This was discussed here in the forums many times before. The renaming is not only accepted, but preferred and seen as best practice by the majority of the community. But it must be very clear, just add "Legacy" to the old title is not distinctive enough in my opinion. Most waymarkers use all capital letters and special brackets to make it obvious, like "{LEGACY} ...".

When the category rules do change, there is also no need to archive. Grandfathering is enough.

On this side of the pond we general add " - GONE" to the end of the Waymark title. :)

I've also seen " - MOVED" but I don't know what that means. Where did it move to? And why not simply update the coordinates? :blink:

I would suggest LEGACY, CLOSED, GONE, MOVED, RELOCATED (whatever) be placed at the title beginning of the waymark title to catch one's eye quickly and also because this brings those waymarks together when you sort a list of waymarks.

Changing the coordinates for a moved waymark item, destroys the history and enables muddling of visit photos from two different locations.

If a business moves location, it should be waymarked in it's new location. The new location should reference the waymark of the old location. An edit request for the old waymark should be submitted, changing the title to MOVED: <old title> and adding some text to the long description inserting a reference to the new waymark. Pictures for each waymark will be different. Visit photos could then be posted to the appropriate matching location without confusion. That way photos for two different locations would be separated. You could still post a visit photo to the old location, though the business signage may be different from the original waymarked business. This maintains the proper Waymarking history that we talk about.

Here's an example of a Bicycle Shop that moved from WM58KY to WMAF37.

This is currently happening with Apple Stores as they replace an older store with a newer and more modern store.

Here's an example of a bungled job as the reviewer decided to copy the newly submitted information from WMF12H into the old waymark, WM49AP, losing everything about the original store.

Here's an example, handled properly, of a an Apple store that moved from WM4AM7 to WMNCXQ.

And another Apple store moved from WM49AQ to WMJ1AC.

I've also found Decorated Utility Boxes that have been repainted with new artwork. I see these as two different waymarks, historically, whose visit photos should be kept separate to avoid confusion.

Some examples here are:

WM90G2 repainted to WME92B

WMK6XP repainted to WMJM9M

WMD4AJ repainted to WMPWW1

I'm not doing this to "run up my numbers", but to preserve history in Waymarking.

Another interesting case where this might happen is when one business closes, say an Independent Movie Rental Shops, WM7FFE, becomes some new type of business. A new waymark would be created in some new category, where it would be nice, historically, to link these two waymarks together to show the progress of time. Obviously, visit photos would then be posted to the appropriate waymark for what the business was when the visit occurred.

Edited by DougK