Legal Find or Not

Jffok

In what manner is a person "claiming" a find if it isn't logged online? What value does this claim have if it isn't logged online?
I know people who don't post Find logs online. They started geocaching before one could post a Find log online, and never saw a reason to start.

Their signature on the physical log or their discussions with other geocachers about the geocaches they've found could be considered a claim of a find. And I don't think that claim is diminished by the fact that they don't post Find logs online.

But in what manner are they "claiming" a find that can be meaningfully refuted by someone else? Why are we so worried about these cachers?

We "worry" about these catchers (I.e., take them into account) when determining FTF because they were the first to find the cache, regardless of weather or not they are making an online claim to being FTF.

If you *feel* that you were FTF, why not claim it?

Because simply "feeling" like I am FTF doesn't meet the standards I set for myself.

In what manner is a person "claiming" a find if it isn't logged online? What value does this claim have if it isn't logged online?
I know people who don't post Find logs online. They started geocaching before one could post a Find log online, and never saw a reason to start.

Their signature on the physical log or their discussions with other geocachers about the geocaches they've found could be considered a claim of a find. And I don't think that claim is diminished by the fact that they don't post Find logs online.

But in what manner are they "claiming" a find that can be meaningfully refuted by someone else? Why are we so worried about these cachers?

We "worry" about these catchers (I.e., take them into account) when determining FTF because they were the first to find the cache, regardless of weather or not they are making an online claim to being FTF.

Because simply "feeling" like I am FTF doesn't meet the standards I set for myself.

So then don't log the FTF. What's the worst that could happen?

I don't log FTFs when they fail to meet the standards I set for myself. Nothing terrible happens when I don't log such FTFs. If I did log such FTFs, then I'd lose some self-respect.

I don't log FTFs when they fail to meet the standards I set for myself. Nothing terrible happens when I don't log such FTFs. If I did log such FTFs, then I'd lose some self-respect.

Sounds like a reasonable approach. Does something terrible happen if a different cacher claims a FTF that you wouldn't?

Sounds like a reasonable approach. Does something terrible happen if a different cacher claims a FTF that you wouldn't?

It depends, of course. Is the different cacher claiming an FTF that fails to meet their own standards? If so, how much would that effect their self-respect? And how much does self-respect matter to them?

How much do they care about the opinions of others? Would others care if they claimed an FTF that failed to meet community standards?

Would claiming an FTF engage them in a personal battle with another cacher who also claimed that FTF? How intense is that battle likely to be? Does our cacher care about personal relationships? The variables go on and on.

It depends, of course. Is the different cacher claiming an FTF that fails to meet their own standards? If so, how much would that effect their self-respect? And how much does self-respect matter to them?

How much do they care about the opinions of others? Would others care if they claimed an FTF that failed to meet community standards?

Would claiming an FTF engage them in a personal battle with another cacher who also claimed that FTF? How intense is that battle likely to be? Does our cacher care about personal relationships? The variables go on and on.

Why would you do something that doesn't meet your own standards?

Why would your own standard put you at odds with other geocachers, if you care about their opinions?

If someone never logs their finds, why would they contest your claim to FTF?

Why would someone even *notice* that the person who found the cache first didn't log it online? Are you going back and checking over and over?

It all seems rather silly.

Edited by narcissa

Why would you do something that doesn't meet your own standards?

Because you're human and humans are fallible. Or the standards aren't terribly important to you. Or what you're doing is terribly important to you.

Why would your own standard put you at odds with other geocachers, if you care about their opinions?

Because your own standards don't always match up with community standards.

If someone never logs their finds, why would they contest your claim to FTF?

Why would someone even *notice* that the person who found the cache first didn't log it online? Are you going back and checking over and over?

Because they see the FTFer's name in the cache's physical log book and because most FTFers who sign the physical log book also log online in a fairly timely fashion. If the Second-To-Find goes online quite a while after the FTF signed the physical log, then they might well notice that nobody has logged anything online yet.

If you *feel* that you were FTF, why not claim it? What is going to happen?

angstangstangstangstangstangstangst

:laughing:

Either you care about someone's opinion, and adjust your behaviour accordingly, or you don't, and ignore their complaints. I don't see why this side game causes this endless merry-go-round of complaint.

It all seems rather silly.

Why is someone that chooses to play the game in a different manner than you characterized as "rather silly"?

I think that was directed towards people who complain about the way that others play when it doesn't have to affect them unless they let it. Not at those who merely play differently.

The person who hid the cache shows to never have logged a cache on line either. Maybe they don't know they can or even that they should.

In my experience, the most bizarrely messed-up hides are the ones by those with no finds and one hide.

Edward

Don't get me started! Oops, you have... There was a series nearby as a project by an eighth grade science teacher for her students. Each cache had an ecological agendum. The students had either no or one find (on a cache in the series.) Maintenance was never done. They graduated five months later, and never looked back. Most have been archived. Really sad that this was permitted.