Attributes

cairv

Or maybe the kind of picnic shelter that parks sometimes have built over picnic tables?

My question is, when would this attribute be useful? Would people base pocket queries on this attribute, either to select "shelter" caches, or to avoid "shelter" caches? Would the attribute be useful in some other way?

Or maybe the kind of picnic shelter that parks sometimes have built over picnic tables?

My question is, when would this attribute be useful? Would people base pocket queries on this attribute, either to select "shelter" caches, or to avoid "shelter" caches? Would the attribute be useful in some other way?

When you have a series of cache in a forest and we a parking nearby, it would be interessting to know that we have a shelter a have a rest where we can warm up when we come back, specially in winter.

1. cairv, you posted your thread in the "Getting Started" forum and a moderator moved it to here.

2. Please be polite to posters asking about the value or purpose of your suggested attribute. Your opening post did not explain your idea in very much detail. For example, "shelter" might also mean a hotel, motel, inn or B&B, so that it could be classified along with the "camping" and "gas/petrol" attributes.

When you have a series of cache in a forest and we a parking nearby, it would be interessting to know that we have a shelter a have a rest where we can warm up when we come back, specially in winter.
Okay, I suppose I can see how it might be nice to know where a shelter is when planning a hike. I'm still not sure why anyone would select specific caches based on whether they are near a shelter.

1. cairv, you posted your thread in the "Getting Started" forum and a moderator moved it to here.

2. Please be polite to posters asking about the value or purpose of your suggested attribute. Your opening post did not explain your idea in very much detail. For example, "shelter" might also mean a hotel, motel, inn or B&B, so that it could be classified along with the "camping" and "gas/petrol" attributes.

I do not think I was really impolite, I was just upset by a member who laugh about my suggestion and after my comment he changes is comment. So I change also some of my comments. Usually a shelter in a refuge and when we have a serie of caches in a forest, it is interesting to know that we have the possibility to use a shleter on our road ta have a rest.By example we have a lot of them on Mt-Washington.

Edited by cairv

While we don't do a lot of foot caching in the mountains in the winter, and hence, haven't really had a need to know something like this, having the information could certainly be useful, though I would not expect to find it as an attribute icon.

When such caches are placed so as to make availability of winter shelter useful (or perhaps even necessary if the weather suddenly goes south), information about the location of such shelters would be better placed in the descriptive information for the trail being used, preferably as waypoints with coordinates such that they can be found easily if needed in a pinch.

So to the OP - if I'm following the shelter type and reasoning for needing one, I don't see it as an attribute as much as a very helpful bit of 'additional waypoint' information that would guide the finder to available shelter if needed.

So to the OP - if I'm following the shelter type and reasoning for needing one, I don't see it as an attribute as much as a very helpful bit of 'additional waypoint' information that would guide the finder to available shelter if needed.
That makes more sense to me too. It's like a trailhead waypoint, where the important thing is the location of the trailhead. A trailhead attribute would be useless.
That makes more sense to me too. It's like a trailhead waypoint, where the important thing is the location of the trailhead. A trailhead attribute would be useless.

I can see the usefulness of a 'shelter' waypoint, especially since waypoints are visible on GPSr's and one can navigate to a waypoint/shelter. If 'shelter' was an attribute, then it wouldn't show up on most GPSr's. Attributes are more useful as search criteria, and not sure why someone would select or de-select caches based on shelter.

If someone was on a hiking trail with 10 caches, then the shelter attribute might appear for just the first and last caches along that trail. Most folks downloading caches for that cache would want all 10 caches, not just the first and last caches?

Most folks downloading caches for that cache would want all 10 caches, not just the first and last caches?
Depends on the folks. I have often hiked a trail for a cache or two, walking past all the others on the trail. The next time I'm on the trail, I might pick up another cache or two, again walking past all the rest.

But other folks do tend to clear out a trail, finding every cache along the way.

Most folks downloading caches for that cache trail would want all 10 caches, not just the first and last caches?
Depends on the folks. I have often hiked a trail for a cache or two, walking past all the others on the trail. The next time I'm on the trail, I might pick up another cache or two, again walking past all the rest.

But other folks do tend to clear out a trail, finding every cache along the way.

Just noticed my typo in that post.

I was more referring to whether most cachers would want to download just the first/last caches on that trail because of a shelter 'attribute'. If shelter was an 'attribute', then cachers could filter just those 2 caches on the trail. But it's likely that cachers would benefit more from having the shelter locations as additional 'waypoints' on those caches, or on all 10 caches along the trail. Not sure an attribute for 'shelter' is worthwhile, IMO.

I've always thought the best reason for an attribute is to either specifically include the cache or specifically exclude the cache - which for one attribute MAY give you five options:

1. Ignore the presence of the attribute completely (regardless of either yes or no)
  2. Only include the cache if the attribute="yes" exists
    (only include caches if the Park and Grab is set to "yes" would ONLY get Park and Grabs)
  3. Only include the cache if the attribute="no" exists
    (only include caches if the Park and Grab is set to "no" would ONLY get the caches where the owner specifically says this is NOT a Park and Grab)
  4. Exclude the cache if the attribute="yes" exists
    (exclude any cache where Park and Grab is set to "yes" would be similar to (B) but not exactly the same list)
  5. Exclude the cache if the attribute="no" exists
    (exclude any cache where Park and Grab is set to "no" would be similar to (A) but not exactly the same list)

Since we don't have the ability to add any/all attributes (you are restricted to 15 attributes per cache), owners are constrained to choosing the most significant attributes to place on their cache. A question I would ask myself in the request of a new attribute is if the existence or non-existence of a shelter significant enough information to help someone choose that they want to include or exclude a cache based on the setting.

I've never thought that "Camping available", "Public transportation", "Picnic tables nearby", "Telephone nearby", "Fuel Nearby" and "Food Nearby" were really needed attributes. The fact that there are picnic tables nearby doesn't really aid me in my selection of a cache.

Likewise, "Part of Power Trail" with both "Yes" and "No" is an attribute that I think would definitely aid seekers to refine their search.

Nope. When my sister and I did the Presi Traverse, we knew where all the shelters were, and made out reservations weeks in advance. Think they cost us $60 per night. And that was ten years ago! But, if you're doing 9000' of climb in 24 miles, you want to know where the shelters are in advance! I'd rather have an attribute for 'wine available.'

Of course, having the shelters available cut down considerably on our backpack weight. No tent. No sleeping bag. No cooking utensils!

I've never thought that "Camping available", "Public transportation", "Picnic tables nearby", "Telephone nearby", "Fuel Nearby" and "Food Nearby" were really needed attributes. The fact that there are picnic tables nearby doesn't really aid me in my selection of a cache.

Likewise, "Part of Power Trail" with both "Yes" and "No" is an attribute that I think would definitely aid seekers to refine their search.

I agree that a "part of a power trail" attribute would be much more useful than a "shelter" attribute. I dream of the days that comes to exist.

I seem to havbe lost the ability to edit out a Needs Maintenance Attribute after I fixed up a listing and re enabled it

That's because that option was removed.

You must log an Owner Maintenance log to clear the NM log. Makes sense - shows in the cache listing that you maintained your cache. :)