Actually permanent marker?

Ericles

I have a few multi-stage caches where at least one of the stages has the coordinates for the next stage written in "permanent" marker. Sealed in a light-proof (but somehow never waterproof) container marker seems to last pretty well but exposed to the elements even quality markers fade to nothing in a year or two. Are there any truly permanent markers out there? The internet has some suggestions but I figured I would find more reliable info here. :smile: Thanks!

Try copper plant tags for stage coords. They'll emboss with any good point, no fade on that embossing. They age in almost too well, can become quite a tough hunt (ie, they end up looking like a dead leaf...). Typically the copper tie that comes with them is too fine to use. Unlike preforms and matchsafes stages, I've never had one of these taken. In a really hot fire, they'll deform. Otherwise, they're darn near perfect.

I use two in each location, typically one high, one low, on different trees at the coords, to double the chances of a find, and the odds of a stage surviving any problems.

Good tips here! I have started moving away from traditional "container" stages of multis but pre-forms are definitely the way to go for any micro hide. I have used the dymo-labels and pre-forms before and never had a problem until the whole thing vanished - tree and all. :laughing: The copper plant tags is a great idea. Amazing to think they could survive a fire. Thanks all!