New Souvenirs!

niraD

Groundspeak just announced two new upcoming Souvenirs:

• Goodbye 2015 for finding any geocache or attending an event on December 31, 2015, and
  • Hello 2016 for finding another geocache or attending a different event on January 1, 2016.

MailerSuite_LastFirst_vFINAL_Blog.png

And yes, they've considered whether you can earn both souvenirs at a single event (no, they must be separate geocaches/events), and whether you can earn both souvenirs at back-to-back events (no, that's event stacking).

So, are you going to incorporate geocaching into your New Year celebrations?

I've never found a cache on New Year's day. The first four days of January are empty on my statistics. And the only reason there's any finds after that is because I've attended two CM's in January (both in more moderate climes than mine). It's just too dang cold in January.
January 1st is actually one of the top 6 days on my "days of the year" grid, but that's mostly thanks to a group hike that was organized on New Year's Day several years ago. The trail was rather muddy in places, but "too dang cold" doesn't really happen around here.
I've never found a cache on New Year's day. The first four days of January are empty on my statistics. And the only reason there's any finds after that is because I've attended two CM's in January (both in more moderate climes than mine). It's just too dang cold in January.
January 1st is actually one of the top 6 days on my "days of the year" grid, but that's mostly thanks to a group hike that was organized on New Year's Day several years ago. The trail was rather muddy in places, but "too dang cold" doesn't really happen around here.

January 1st is also a great day to go for the more urban, evil, stealth-required caches, because most businesses are closed and there generally aren't as many muggles.

January 1st is also a great day to go for the more urban, evil, stealth-required caches, because most businesses are closed and there generally aren't as many muggles.
I know people who do urban, evil, stealth-required caches on Super Bowl® Sunday for much the same reason. But I digress...

I remember when souvenirs were from a place.

Well, wasn't one of the very first ones for the 10-10-10 events?

I like these well enough--but I bet that they'll sort in different places rather than next to each other in our profiles. I really wish we could move our souvenirs around...

Edited by Dame Deco

Great! You (and us all) will have 5 new "places" in the forthcoming weeks. :)

"Well good news, intrepid geocaching travelers. Beginning November 16, we’ll announce a new country souvenir each week for five weeks. We’ve also created geocaching guides for each country, so you’ll have everything you need to plan your next geocaching vacation."

Edited by RuideAlmeida

"Well good news, intrepid geocaching travelers. Beginning November 16, we’ll announce a new country souvenir each week for five weeks. We’ve also created geocaching guides for each country, so you’ll have everything you need to plan your next geocaching vacation."

Woohoo! *jumps up and down excitedly*

Where is this quote from?

Woohoo! *jumps up and down excitedly*

Where is this quote from?

This was in this week's newsletter, along with the announcement of the Goodbye/Hello souvenirs, as posted in this thread:

New Country Souvenirs coming

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=328261&st=50

B.

I have cached on January 1st a couple of times. In one case I found a cache that would likely have been very difficulty with a lot of muggles about but for some reason there aren't too many people walking around a downtown area at 9:00AM on January 1st. I'm not interested in all these promotional souvenirs so I won't make specific plans to go geocaching on either of those days just because there is a souvenir available.

I love souvenirs.

I completely messed up this year's Road Trip souvenirs. :(

Finding caches on December 31st and January 1st could be tricky. I will have to do some extensive research to see what caches can be found in winter. Might be lots of snow, might not be, so planning has to take that into account.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I love souvenirs.

Finding caches on December 31st and January 1st could be tricky. I will have to do some extensive research to see what caches can be found in winter. Might be lots of snow, might not be, so planning has to take that into account.

B.

Well, I have a few local cache and dashes. I generally ignore them when caching. Keeps them available for souvenirs like this. But would only work if I get out early enough in New Years Eve. I don't drive in the dark.

Yes! Allowing us to arrange our own souvenirs is an excellent suggestion. List states together. Canadian provinces. Countries. Last August's Road Trip Souvenirs. Mixing them by first letter/number is inane,

I love souvenirs.

B.

Several of us found paddle caches on either side of midnight 2 winters ago (I live in New England which makes it an adventure). We launched at 11:30pm on the 31st, found a cache, attended an event at midnight (complete with fireworks and champagne) and then found another cache on the 1st. A great night of caching.

I agree. It would be nice to be able to organize the souvenirs in more logical (to me) order.

It is possible to add them to your profile, and completely ignore the standard souvenirs tab. I did mine with the help of a GSAK macro but it should be possible to do it manually. Then you can rearrange them however you want.

It is a bit tedious the first time, but once it is done once, you only need to add new souvenirs as you earn them.

I know it's a bit off topic, but today I noticed a strange thing. A geocacher logged my GIFF event with 'attended'. The log says: "Hey, cool event, maybe next year I'll visit such an event." The geocacher has not visited my event. In the same second the geocacher archived the attended log but he still has the souvenir in his profile. Shouldn't the souvenir also be archived? The player has many souvenirs so not sure if it was a mistake. Don't get me wrong, for me it's not a problem if someone do this to collect souvenirs, but maybe it's an error in the system.

Shouldn't the souvenir also be archived? The player has many souvenirs so not sure if it was a mistake. Don't get me wrong, for me it's not a problem if someone do this to collect souvenirs, but maybe it's an error in the system.

That's the way the system works, and it's designed that way. There's good reason to say it should be redesigned but I can't see that happening, at least in the near future.

I know it's a bit off topic, but today I noticed a strange thing. A geocacher logged my GIFF event with 'attended'. The log says: "Hey, cool event, maybe next year I'll visit such an event." The geocacher has not visited my event. In the same second the geocacher archived the attended log but he still has the souvenir in his profile. Shouldn't the souvenir also be archived? The player has many souvenirs so not sure if it was a mistake. Don't get me wrong, for me it's not a problem if someone do this to collect souvenirs, but maybe it's an error in the system.

I know someone who did that a lot. Unfortunately it's how the system is set up, at least right now. He must be hiding some of the souvenirs from his profile, as only 100 or so appear now even though I know he has "earned" over 200, at least according to the last time I checked project-gc.com.