New geocacher likes to hide the cache of hier own

alaska3

Hi!

I like to ask this question for my friend:

Is it some roul that you cannot hide a cache if you have only four caches found ?

We live now in Tyrkey and my Belgian friend started this game here. She found four already and we made the new cache together. Turkish reviewer send feedback, that she have to find 20 caches first. Is it so?

Thanks for the answers

alaska3 from Finland

Edited by alaska3

It's more of a suggestion that you have 20 finds before hiding. Do two things. First, find some more hides. Second, convince the reviewer that you chose a good location and container, hid it well, have good coordinates, and will take care of it.

Thank you very much for the answer!

So I thougt also.

Greetings alaska3

It's more of a suggestion that you have 20 finds before hiding. Do two things. First, find some more hides. Second, convince the reviewer that you chose a good location and container, hid it well, have good coordinates, and will take care of it.

...and you have read and understood the guidelines. Edited by briansnat

There is no rule saying that. But with 4 finds, one isn't likely to know what makes a good hide, what is bad, etc. You could place a good hide, but likely not. Consider it like driving; Someone who has practiced driving, and taken a class is more likely to pass a drivers test than someone who looked through the drivers handbook for 2 minutes.

Personally, I advice people to find 100 geocaches before hiding them. Experience does matter. You'll find caches you consider "bad", others you will consider "good". This will determine how you organize yourself and create your own geocache. And remember:

You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

I don't think it's a particular number of finds that gives one experience.

It's the variety of types and D/T ratings that gives one a more-rounded knowledge of caching.

25 or 100 of the same park & grab micros leads one to think that all caches are the same.

Finding some multicaches and learning how to input the coordinates of the stages gives one experience in using their device or app.

B.

Well the OP says he/she helped make the cache. (I am guessing helped place it) They have a few thousand finds and some caches hidden. I don't see why it wouldn't be published. The new cacher should just say I have had help of a experienced cacher in placing and that they plan to maintain it and is should be a go? Although I think we waited until we found about 7 caches before placing one.

And now, as they say, the rest of the story...

Is it some roul that you cannot hide a cache if you have only four caches found ?

We live now in Tyrkey and my Belgian friend started this game here. She found four already and we made the new cache together. Turkish reviewer send feedback, that she have to find 20 caches first. Is it so?

Please tell your friend to read the reviewer's note again carefully. Sorry for the bad machine translation from Turkish, but the reviewer said:

Have at least a 20 Cache is recommended before storing.
Note the word "recommended." The reviewer did not deny the cache based on this.

The actual reason the reviewer denied the cache is: (again, sorry for the bad translation)

I'm guessing that's stored in a proprietary cache. Although the news of the owners is against the rules to communicate with a person for a clue.

This is based on the cache's description:

Cache has been placed wıth the owners permıssıon.

Just ask Tolgahan of yolu need a hınt!

Hints

Ask at the bar

The guidelines clearly prohibit a cache placed within a business, especially if you have to interact with the employees.

I don't think it's a particular number of finds that gives one experience.

It's the variety of types and D/T ratings that gives one a more-rounded knowledge of caching.

25 or 100 of the same park & grab micros leads one to think that all caches are the same.

Finding some multicaches and learning how to input the coordinates of the stages gives one experience in using their device or app.

B.

Yes, as with any skills there are fast learners and slow learners. The basic concept is to learn the game before placing hides. Fifteen finds *of different types*, combined with discussion and online study and caching-video watching, can work for an "A" student of the game. B)

I hid my first cache before I found any. It was a very popular cache for many years before the situation changed and I had to archive it.

Are you referring to the "engine" multi cache? If so, then it appears that part of the reason it was archived was because it was on Nature Conservancy land without permission. The land manager noted it was placed in an area of sensitive plants, which would be a poor location to place a geocache.

Personally, I advice people to find 100 geocaches before hiding them.

And personally I disagree. Thankfully there is no such requirement.

Ditto. Finding 100...500...or even 1000 first won't make some people better hiders or better COs. I see proof of that almost every time I am out caching.

I think it is more important to do a great variety of caches. For example, if somebody only does traditionals in the beginning, he will learn much less about geocaching than him also doing multicaches and other more challenging types or visiting events.

The amount of knowledge gain and exchange matters, not the amount of logs.