Hosting my first event.

Tennessee Fireflies

If people want to attend they'll find out about it on their own. Checking the maps, notice a new event. Instant notifications. Word of mouth. And the such- same as any other cache really.

Of course this applies to experienced cachers. The newbs don't necessarily even k ow what an event even is. The only other thing you can do is post o Facebook on the local caching group.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Hope you don't take this personal but... that you don't participate in the game (of finding geocaches) might have something to do with it. Go out and find a dozen geocaches, write positive logs and mention the event in each log. People need assurances that they aren't being duped in some way.

From looking at their user profile the event is at a State Park where the account maintains a geocache placement. That says more to me than finding caches and using their logs to promote their own agenda.

...that you don't participate in the game (of finding geocaches) might have something to do with it.

There's more to geocaching than just finding. If someone wants to give to the community by hiding and not finding, I don't see a problem.

Anyway, looking at the profile of the OP, I suspect this is a group/organization account, and the members have probably found lots of caches under their own player accounts.

...mention the event in each log.

I'd prefer people didn't do this. The logs will remain forever, and advertising for an event will quickly become irrelevant. It would also give the logs a spam-like odor.

I've put on quite a few events.

Advertise on geocaching Facebook groups and local forums. You can make a little poster to upload to make it look attractive. Post now, then put a reminder up a few days before the event.

Also, send personal invites! Look at who attended recent events in your area and make a list. Then go through the list and email each person. Preferably, personalize the email a bit, by at least addressing it to their caching name. Last time I did it, geocaching.com put a limit to the number of emails I could send in a row.

If you want to attract non-geocachers, you can print posters off and put them in local rec centres or libraries. Alot of people may have heard of geocaching and curious about it.

Also, put lots of details on the cache page. Some pictures are nice. Maybe free cookies and hot chocolate!

Good luck!