Alternate uses for old geocaching containers

medoug

I thought this blog was especially clever:

6 Crazy Hacks

I had to remind the author, however, this:

You forgot that the ultimate geocaching container (an ammo can) can be used to store ammunition. Also, retired geocaches can hold drinking water (water bottle), hold small quantity of emergency pills (bison tube), keep your money and keys dry while on the water (beach safes), or used as flashing jewelry (blinky).

Too bad many cachers now days have never even seen an ammo can, the original geocaching container. Ahh, the early days of geocaching!

Can you think of other containers that we missed?

6 Crazy Hacks

You forgot that the ultimate geocaching container (an ammo can) can be used to store ammunition. Also, retired geocaches can hold drinking water (water bottle), hold small quantity of emergency pills (bison tube), keep your money and keys dry while on the water (beach safes), or used as flashing jewelry (blinky).

Too bad many cachers now days have never even seen an ammo can, the original geocaching container. Ahh, the early days of geocaching!

Actually the original geocaching container was a buried 5 gallon bucket.

6 Crazy Hacks

Actually the original geocaching container was a buried 5 gallon bucket.

I know that. I didn't actually mean the 1 original container hidden, but rather the typical container most used for the first few years of geocaching.

Probably best not to use a rusted-out Altoids tin for breath-mint storage, though...

Since you purchase Altoids in a new metal container, you probably wouldn't need it to store any Altoids you happen to have laying around. I guess the same could be said of film containers, though.

Edited by medoug

I guess the same could be said of film containers, though.

When was the last time anyone purchased film and recycled the container to make a cache? Would the youngsters today even know what a "film container" is/was?

I feel so old.

B.

I'm sure some old cache hiders have many of these sitting around waiting for the opportunity to use them for a geocache in the right place. (I believe the original E.T. trail consisted entirely of film canisters.)

Others can be used:

• to keep matches dry (match safes);
  • to hide an extra key (various hide-a-key containers);
  • to attach your contact info to your pet's collar (pet ID tubes); or
  • to store leftovers in the refrigerator (Lock N Lock containers).

niraD, obviously you didn't read the original article that was linked. It covers 3 of the 4 you mentioned. Nice add on the pet ID tube though.

When was the last time anyone purchased film and recycled the container to make a cache? Would the youngsters today even know what a "film container" is/was?
I know one photographer who occasionally uses film. He's also someone I think of as a "youngster", since he's the son of a friend who is a little younger than myself. So there are rare youngsters who know what film and film canisters are.

But everyone else I know switched to digital a long time ago.

Of course, I can't image anyone using a used Lock-n-lock for food storage after being used as a geocache container with the things I've found in them. We can't take this too seriously, as the article was really written as tongue-in-cheek.
Well, yeah, but the same could be said about storing drinking water in a water bottle that had been used as a geocache.

Pretty funny. The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is flat magnetic caches used as refrigerator magnets. "You might have to remove the log bag to make it lay flat." It would make more sense if the picture showed one made from an actual refrigerator magnet even though those are very rare.