U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey Disks Pics

Gungadoy

I wasn't sure whether the first forum post was the best place to continue to place USC&GS disk pictures or start a thread just for pics? So I started one. If you have suggestions let me know? Post rare, interesting or your own special recovered USC&GS recovered disks.

Last year I found this rare USC&GS Hydrographic Station disk (AA0183 - SUMMER 2). I expecting to find a topographic station disk at this location and as you can imagine I was pretty excited to find this hydrographic disk.

Does anyone know where else one of these has been found?

2651925c-eab3-4e86-b1de-e5bccaf07450.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

I wasn't sure whether the first forum post was the best place to continue to place USC&GS disk pictures or start a thread just for pics? So I started one. If you have suggestions let me know? Post rare, interesting or your own special recovered USC&GS recovered disks.

Last year I found this rare USC&GS Hydrographic Station disk (AA0183 - SUMMER 2). I expecting to find a topographic station disk at this location and as you can imagine I was pretty excited to find this hydrographic disk.

I've not been active for quite a while, but here's something from a 2007 forum post: An Unusual Tidal Bench Mark Disk

Here's the log: LX1097 GC log

It's about a 1921 Hydrographic station disk reused as a Tidal Benchmark.

Pb

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Gungadoy,

Could you make a judgement on whether the concrete post is the original 1934 setting - and in its original location? Sometimes a disk left over from one project would be dug out of a equipment bag and placed somewhere else. Most interesting ones that I know about are a couple of IBC (Canada-US) pipe caps between Price and Green River, Utah.

kayakbird

CallawayMT Photo

adbfe729-69b2-466d-9922-653af4e04c9d.jpg

Kayakbird: Good question. The monument looks in good shape and at the posted coords. Due to someone waiting for me at the roadside I only had time to also find RM 4. You can see the other pics on the geocaching site. http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=AA0183

Some folks at NGS also thought it could have been a disk from the bottom of the tools bucket.

I'm hoping to check out several other disks in the Florida Keys to see if they're Hydrographic Station disks. Some require a boat to reach the outer islands. AA1030, AA1132, AA1614, AA1553 & AA1562. Many Mark Types are listed as, 'unspecified disk type (see text).

Papa Bear NYC: Cool reused disk. I few weeks ago I recovered a couple of CGS bench marks disks at the end of Dyckman St., under the tracks that you've previously visited, KU0906 & KU0907.

You may not recall this, but you recovered a Hydrographic Station disk a few years back, KU0897, along the railroad tracks south of the GWB. That's on my list to visit as I didn't have enough time during my previous NE whirlwind trip; hopefully, when I make my yearly visit to NJ for Thanksgiving in a few weeks.

I also would like to visit one of those bolts in Central Park.

Papa Bear NYC: Cool reused disk. I few weeks ago I recovered a couple of CGS bench marks disks at the end of Dyckman St., under the tracks that you've previously visited, KU0906 & KU0907.

You may not recall this, but you recovered a Hydrographic Station disk a few years back, KU0897, along the railroad tracks south of the GWB. That's on my list to visit as I didn't have enough time during my previous NE whirlwind trip; hopefully, when I make my yearly visit to NJ for Thanksgiving in a few weeks.

I also would like to visit one of those bolts in Central Park.

So I did. Here it is (full resolution):

TIDAL%202%20STA%20I%2028.jpg

That was almost 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure I did not notice the station type on the disk.

I would note a few things:

2. It's a Tidal Bench mark, not a Hydrographic Station, so it's also a reused disk. So it must have been a leftover in the surveyors kit.
  3. The disk says "Superintendent" not "Director", so by the reasoning for the other one up in Garrison, it was made in 1921.
  4. It's stamped "2" and "1930"
  5. It may well have been the same party as the one set up in Garrison since the crew may have been working up along the river at that time
  6. That's an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS LOCATION. Sometimes I wonder what I was doing there in my carefree youth :rolleyes: This has to be much more dangerous than the one in Garrison, not least because unlike that one you have to cross the tracks.

As for Central Park, send me an email and I would be happy to meet up sometime. No trains there.

The coolest and must visit of all the USC&GS disks, the Gravity Station disk. Took a trip to Las Vegas and made the short trip to Death Valley, CA to see this one. GS0206. Took the rental down the 35 mile gravel road recovering a bunch of CGS benchmarks along the way until reaching the Dayton-Harris BM. You need a GPS for this area. It was a mild 113 degrees at 200+ ft below sea level. An awesome day trip to consider if your in the Las Vegas area.

03f676c1-d82c-4796-ade0-45715967db88.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

Gungadoy,

Sounds like you are kind of drifting toward chasing old, unique marks. Once you do, it won't bother you a bit that the data base will not be updated.

Somewhere in the benchmark forums there is a discussion about the purpose of these. kayakbird

Oh yes, the Magnetic Station disk is also one of the coolest of the cool. I recovered one Magnetic in Florida, AR1564 and also in New Jersey, JU0950.

I've accomplished two of my benchmark goals, 1. to find each type of the old USC&GS disks and 2. to find one USC&GS disk in each of the 67 Florida counties. Both have been a lot of fun.

Looks like we can't do anything with Groundspeak not updating the info but at least NGS does a good job with their datasheets updating.

The Bottles, Pots & Pans? Report/Article was partly responsible for my inspiration to find these disks.

4f800695-4b29-4e8d-abd6-370678b95219.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

Gungadoy,

Nice find - had to go look at your pictures and peg the L/L on Google Earth (put it in my FLA 2007 birding file that I was working on just yesterday). Any chance of a shot/link of your 'AND STATE SURVEY MARK'? Yah, another favorite sub-set of mine.

Used to be a lot more great pictures with neat notes on this forum. Too much OOH-AAW new technology and database grumbles lately. Maybe being mostly a lurker now doesn't give me an iron in the fire.

kayakbird/MEL

I completed Gungadoy's challenge--it was a lot of fun finding the old, hard to find marks! Here's my state survey from Deland, Florida, and there are pics of the location, etc., in my log. It's AQ1245. I'm including my magnetic disc from West Virginia, HY0008. Gungadoy pointed out a Gravity Station reference mark in northern Florida, BE0315, and a Topographical Disc, AG1367 near Tampa--as he noted, it's tough to find one outside an airport. I used those to complete the challenge. I really need to get to California to get that last disc, the elusive Gravity Station!

8b502576-42f8-4cd7-8366-3db2db1c3262.jpg

8d05d0ed-16b9-49c7-bf46-8b9e6511fd9a.jpg

4378f91b-75d4-4f36-b768-34af0ae48a87.jpg

ba718f66-a7c6-4e15-a491-2d53fb89b9d9.jpg

Gungadoy,

Nice find - had to go look at your pictures and peg the L/L on Google Earth (put it in my FLA 2007 birding file that I was working on just yesterday). Any chance of a shot/link of your 'AND STATE SURVEY MARK'? Yah, another favorite sub-set of mine.

Used to be a lot more great pictures with neat notes on this forum. Too much OOH-AAW new technology and database grumbles lately. Maybe being mostly a lurker now doesn't give me an iron in the fire.

kayakbird/MEL

State Survey markers, also another favorite of mine. I think I've recovered 2 or 3 of these. Check out AC0482 on Tamiami Trail in S. Florida. If you should visit this BM, stop at the popular BBQ joint across the street. Farther west you can visit the Ochopee Post Office. The smallest in the U.S.; it's about the size of a backyard garden shed.

9f6db9ec-f962-46ef-a27b-aa411a5e16d6.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

Gungadoy,

kayakbird/MEL

Here's a "AND STATE" disk from Foxboro Mass. It was on the side of a RR cut.

Ref%2011B.jpg

It was used a a reference marker for the 1944 MY3577 MASSACHUSETTS NORTH BASE.

As for "Used to be a lot more great pictures with neat notes on this forum", here's

my 2008 forum post on this mark and a bunch of others: The Eastern Oblique Arc cross Massachusetts

Thanks to both for the photos. Question for Papa-Bear-NYC? What is the purpose of what appear to be locking wire holes in the head of the brass bolt? It does look like a manufacture bolt with head. Most 'bolt' references here are a piece of non-threaded stock probably cut to length on site when the hammer guy got tired.

P-B-NYC PHOTO

91d303af-2b3f-4ff1-8f48-9df8ad3b11e3.jpg

Looks like this 'AND STATE SURVEY' monument had the same fate as most in that short lived Depression Era project - placed (wonder if it was this crew that first filed the cross on the station?), but never properly surveyed. They have been Bench Marks for most of my finds on them. Below is a link to one of my favorite USLS Tri's and a photo of one of the two 'AND STATE SURVEY' disks that were used for RM's. I tend to think that they were left overs and placed in 1971 (when the station was 100 years old). kayakbird

+SS RM 4 at LESTER RIVER

9f52bc6c-8a32-423b-b940-3e496847b564.jpg

Thanks to both for the photos. Question for Papa-Bear-NYC? What is the purpose of what appear to be locking wire holes in the head of the brass bolt? It does look like a manufacture bolt with head. Most 'bolt' references here are a piece of non-threaded stock probably cut to length on site when the hammer guy got tired.

I have no idea what the little holes around the circumference are. In 1844, I don't know how such bolts were manufactured or why. Possibly for some 19th century industrial or manufacturing use.

And I would presume the cross is from 1844 and not from the 1930s since lots of such old bolts have them.

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Thanks to both for the photos.

Well, actually three of us posted pics of state survey markers for you...:)

Dame Deco,

Sorry that I missed yours. If that 1939 is not an elevation, I suspect the disk was placed after the fact. See below

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/central/

and take a look at the rest of Jerry Penry's online publications.

http://www.penryfamily.com/surveying/main.html

kayakbird

Thanks to both for the photos.

Well, actually three of us posted pics of state survey markers for you...:)

Dame Deco,

Sorry that I missed yours. If that 1939 is not an elevation, I suspect the disk was placed after the fact. See below

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/central/

and take a look at the rest of Jerry Penry's online publications.

http://www.penryfamily.com/surveying/main.html

kayakbird

I'd say it's pretty doubtful that it's an elevation in Florida, lol! The Original Datasheet says it was monumented in 1939. Thanks for the interesting links!

Here's a line from Penry's 2006 article on the state survey marks: "Parts of the program struggled on until 1939, but the work continued less than a year in many states." So the Deland mark might indeed have been monumented as part of the program.

Edited by Dame Deco

As an amateur bench marker, is it just me or do others get excited when they recover a benchmark that hasn't been found in a bunch of years? The effects get multiplied when it's a Triangulation Station with its Reference Marks and Azimuth Mark. I recently recovered down here in S. Florida, AD7219. The surrounding landmarks described in the NGS datasheet were pretty sketchy. I started my search with the GPS and then turned to my economy metal detector and probe. Soon I had found the Triangulation Station. Then with the measuring tape and compass I was able to find the two nearby Reference Marks. The Azimuth Mark for this one turned out to be an easy find down the levee road. I like it when a plan comes together. This certainly can't compare to finding Buttermilk, but not bad for low budget tools and lots of persistance.

Anyone have any good stories?

e02f10f8-d8dc-47be-9777-07a1c4fccf46.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

As an amateur bench marker, is it just me or do others get excited when they recover a benchmark that hasn't been found in a bunch of years? The effects get multiplied when it's a Triangulation Station with its Reference Marks and Azimuth Mark. I recently recovered down here in S. Florida, AD7219. The surrounding landmarks described in the NGS datasheet were pretty sketchy. I started my search with the GPS and then turned to my economy metal detector and probe. Soon I had found the Triangulation Station. Then with the measuring tape and compass I was able to find the two nearby Reference Marks. The Azimuth Mark for this one turned out to be an easy find down the levee road. I like it when a plan comes together. This certainly can't compare to finding Buttermilk, but not bad for low budget tools and lots of persistance.

Anyone have any good stories?

e02f10f8-d8dc-47be-9777-07a1c4fccf46.jpg

Gungadoy,

Great find: a 01/01/1990 by USPSQD (MARK NOT FOUND) and a bench marker who wrote a note (instead of a bogus found claim) on the WP.

DIRECT LINK to Details for Benchmark: AD7219

d52b30ea-e9da-420b-a19d-c21fa111f607.jpg

It is more satisfying to get the complete set. And sometimes there will be a nearby PID'd mark mentioned in the box score that is not in the history documentation text - can't dig up an example right now.

One note that ties to another recent thread here - out west there are a lot of GLO/PLSS marks that do have a PID - referred to as OTM's. Would an elevation of 19.39 Smoots work anywhere in Florida? kayakbird

As an amateur bench marker, is it just me or do others get excited when they recover a benchmark that hasn't been found in a bunch of years? The effects get multiplied when it's a Triangulation Station with its Reference Marks and Azimuth Mark.

Yes, I definitely do get excited when finding a benchmark for which there has not been an NGS report in decades. I have found quite a few 1932-era benchmarks for which I am the first to find on Geocaching and for which there have been no NGS logs since the mark was first set. And, I agree about the Tri-station effect. I guess these are feelings that only another benchmark hunter can understand LOL. I use the baseball term "four-bagger" to describe finding the four benchmarks in a Triangulation station. Around the NYC area, at least, such finds seem to be very rare. I think that I've found only about two: KU3087 (Tappan, in Glen Cove, Nassau County) and KU4067 (Nodine Hill in Yonkers, Westchester County) come to mind. KU4067 was especially nice because it was my 100th FTF benchmark. It's a disappointment to read a tri-station box score to find out that there was no azimuth mark set. Sometimes, NGS used an intersection station, for example, as the azimuth mark. But where four marks were set, it's always exciting to anticipate that I might find all four. But, too often, I end up finding only three, but spending an inordinate amount of time trying to find that elusive fourth mark, usually the azimuth mark because it's not part of the station/RM cluster, so is more likely to have not been spared from destruction.

I know what you're saying, Gungadoy! I went after what I was hoping was a gravity station in Iowa that hadn't been visited by the NGS in nearly 40 years. It turned out to not be a gravity station, but it really was a thrill when I dug the Azimuth Mark out of the mud, poured water on it, and it appeared before me. Now, the 2 marks had witness posts, so it wasn't a hard job to find them, still I really enjoyed being the first to recover them after so many years. There were only coordinates for the main mark, so I did follow the directions to find the Azimuth Mark. I would like to go after something with a full set sometime, maybe I'll buy my own economy metal detector in the new year! You might have to dnf a cache, but you know it's been found recently. I went 100 miles out of my way just to see if this mark still existed, and lo and behold it did! The drive and hunt were worth it!

LF1239, recovered 8/24/15

b38d0a9f-16ec-44ff-9840-81a1ee06a727.jpg

8f218d64-306e-46f5-853b-6a452833f636.jpg

No, I didn't. I guess that I should have!

I think I checked the real thing from NGS by going through the search page--I was going through a list and checking for those specifically. Do you think they updated it already based on my log? When going for these, I make a point of checking the real thing through NGS. But I can't swear to the fact that I looked on the NGS site...I think I did, though.

If they updated the page based on my log, I would expect to see the recovery note by a geocacher at the bottom. Very strange! The moral of the story is, check the real NGS sheet, not just what's on gc.com...but I thought I did.

From the gc.com link:

LF1239_MARKER: DG = GRAVITY STATION DISK

LF1239_SETTING: 7 = SET IN TOP OF CONCRETE MONUMENT

LF1239

LF1239 HISTORY - Date Condition Recov. By

LF1239 HISTORY - 1958 MONUMENTED CGS

LF1239 HISTORY - 1975 GOOD USGS

LF1239 HISTORY - 1977 GOOD NGS

From the NGS link:

LF1239_MARKER: DS = TRIANGULATION STATION DISK

LF1239_SETTING: 7 = SET IN TOP OF CONCRETE MONUMENT

LF1239_STAMPING: HIGHLAND 1958

LF1239_MARK LOGO: CGS

LF1239_STABILITY: C = MAY HOLD, BUT OF TYPE COMMONLY SUBJECT TO

LF1239+STABILITY: SURFACE MOTION

LF1239

LF1239 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

LF1239 HISTORY - 1958 MONUMENTED CGS

LF1239 HISTORY - 1975 GOOD USGS

LF1239 HISTORY - 1977 GOOD NGS

Edited by Dame Deco

Story Time: Had a fun day yesterday benchmarking along the Tamiani Trail in the S. Florida Everglades. If you're ever in the area a must visit drive. Tamiani trail is a scenic road from about the year 1915 that stretches from Florida's east coast to the west coast.

The 1st BM of the day was supposed to be a Triangulation Station. PID AC0483. The mark was last logged by NGS in 1992 as next to a 'track road'. Well, since then the Florida vegetation moved in leaving no signs of any road; just heavy overgrowth.

The GPS did a good job of keeping contact with the satellites as I bushwacked my way to GZ. Located the concrete monument fairly quickly, however the disk was missing; only the disk stem remained. Still a success story in my eyes... Posting a pic of monument and surrounding overgrowth. At least I didn't see any nearby alligators this round.

eba38ee6-9374-4d93-8017-5cc4b66c6ad8.jpg

95247b16-f286-4e24-ae99-61e613c91226.jpg

40d15a56-9ceb-417e-bba6-70492a4e9b37.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

Gungadoy,

Looks a bit thick and prickly there with the possibility for critters that slither.

Are you aware of the link feature over there by the Smiley face that would make it easy for lazy old guys to get to your log and look at all your great photos?

Make sure you are on the 'Details for Benchmark:' page when you copy the www. You have to delete the [httxxxx] before you paste; and where it says [My Link] you can type the PID, or any other text in there. kayakbird

Gungadoy,

Looks a bit thick and prickly there with the possibility for critters that slither.

Are you aware of the link feature over there by the Smiley face that would make it easy for lazy old guys to get to your log and look at all your great photos?

Thx Kayakbird...

A bit off-topic: Florida has some seriously hardcore wilderness Geocaches. I've done a few of the easier one's and one day maybe the heavy duty adventures.

Ghost Orchid

Lemmings Loop

Christmas Cache My Log

Loki-an Urban Wilderness Geocache

Edited by Gungadoy

I put this BM on my to-do-list after reviewing my country wide datasheets seach for this type of disk. On my visit-the-family up north trip, I made my way to GZ in west central NJ, driving in a light snow storm; I don't get to see much snow down here in S. Florida.

This rare new style Gravity Reference Mark from 1937 was definitely one of the easiest BM's I've recovered, right on the side of the road.

It looks like a couple of the forum regulars also visited this site a few years back. PID KV1610. A nice find for anyone Benchmarking or Geocaching in the area.

1ca1c2cd-a909-4434-bb97-dca95cb9013d.jpg

191a1823-77ee-4dc7-bb39-89d851c0acea.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

You go through your pages of finds one by one. :)

Or, planning on a long winter, be working on organizing 20,000 plus BM & bird shots taken in the last seven years. Saw this one in 2009 -AJ3986_MARKER: DK = GRAVITY REFERENCE MARK DISK - not in GeoCache and did not do a recovery (less than a year since previous) - near Q 10. Scabbed on a photo there.

0ee7ce72-fd29-4904-9a19-e23e6aab4e9d.jpg

Not stamped Magnetic disk also nearby. kayakbird

3826f612-f46a-4cc0-b124-fa3e7bc5121b.jpg

The Traverse Station disk, seldom seen but often mentioned. I was making my way from Florida City to the Flamingo Everglades National Park visitor center and was fortunate to find this traverse station disk along my route. PID AC1157

Have you ever noticed that this USC&GS disk has the lettering, Traverse Station, facing outward, unlike most of the other CGS disks?

The visitor center in this park is at the end of a scenic 38 mile drive. Lot's of benchmarks and also Virtual Geocache in the park. GC5694

Cool place to visit but bring bug spray just in case.

45fabe5b-e4c0-4aad-a75b-28a29a6fc955.jpg

Flamingo Visitor Center View

92805d12-a9c8-4103-b074-9a7d0c2e5ef7.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

Merry Christmas!

You may have seen in one of my previous posts that I created a Geocaching Benchmark Challenge for USC&GS disks. USC&GS Challenge

During my travels throughout all of Florida's 67 counties I recovered a 'Topographic Station' disk. AG1367 This find occurred on a 16 hour all-nighter benchmarking trip. (And no encounters with the LEO's)

I don't know much about these disks except that most of the one's I researched seemed to be on airport property, hence inaccessible to us common folk. I was fortunate to find one in Tampa adjacent to the water.

Question is: Does anyone know about these disks, their purpose and why they seem to be primarily at airports? Also, why was this one along the water?

af4c7f7c-5af7-4d21-8dba-a539e8b4ebee.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

Actually, I have searched for one Topographic Stations. It was/is at the fire house in Secaucus, NJ. It appears to have been covered over by a stone veneer. KV0459

Also looked for a Magnetic Station disk at the old Floyd Bennett Field, Kings County, NY. Now part of the Gateway National Recreation area. KU3490. That's long gone.

Harry, take a look at Floyd Bennett Field on Google again. They have done a lot of work around the compass rose and it looks quite different.

Merry Christmas!

You may have seen in one of my previous posts that I created a Geocaching Benchmark Challenge for USC&GS disks. USC&GS Challenge

During my travels throughout all of Florida's 67 counties I recovered a 'Topographic Station' disk.

I don't know much about these disks except that most of the one's I researched seemed to be on airport property, hence inaccessible to us common folk. I was fortunate to find one in Tampa adjacent to the water.

Question is: Does anyone know about these disks, their purpose and why they seem to be primarily at airports? Also, why was this one along the water?

Feliz Navidad. I've gone through my files And have found seven of the eleven varieties. #8 Tidal Bench mark was the hardest to locate since it is also designated 'bench mark'. But I have found two of them. And at least three 'and state survey' disks. I also did search for a 'traverse station' disk at the time capsule at the New York World's Fair 1929. But that was destroyed by the new time capsule for the more recent World's Fair.

My question is: How do I find listings for the for types that I have not found: topographic, gravity, traverse and magnetic?

Hmm... Didn't there used to be a place where I could type in the PID and see the bench mark page on geocaching? Was going to upload some 'and state survey' pictures.

Did KayakBird answer your question or are you actually looking for the NGS link? Here it is if needed...NGS PID Link

Nice CGS+SS disk!

I query the NGS site by county as the state search times-out for me. I convert the results to gpx files and then upload them to GSAK. In GSAK in the filter area, I use the Full Text Search box to search by disk type. If I'm looking for a Magnetic Disk I enter MARKER: DM That searchs the datasheets for that match.

If you need a list of the 2 letter disk codes let me know.

I have an excel sheet with all the Gravity and Magnetic disks in the U.S. If you want it, send me a note.

Searching by county is very tedious but effective. If somebody knows a way to search by State, without it timing-out, pls let me know.

Edited by Gungadoy

Haven't seen AZcachemeister here for quite awhile, but I believe he had GSAC for the entire country on a four disk set that he offered at a reasonable price. GSAK filters can work magic, but I ran across a whole bunch of &SS starting southwest of Burns, Oregon that gave no clues. kayakbird

No Clue &SS Oregon - PA0179

9e00a5a3-9754-4cd0-ae5c-c6b5f16cf9f0.jpg

1948 Fergus Co, Montana Time. corrected link - too big of a hurry to get out of the Rising Trout Coffee Shop to head up to the fish hatchery on a Snipe hunting trip [photo available]. Sorry, MEL

Edited by kayakbird

too big of a hurry to get out of the Rising Trout Coffee Shop to head up to the fish hatchery on a Snipe hunting trip [photo available].

Not too cold for Snipe hunting over there? :blink: I would've stayed indoors at the coffee shop!

Attended a BBQ party next door Christmas Eve. :laughing:

Edited by Gungadoy