how do i use 6 digit and 10 digit co ordinates

Jackos&Chadd

I have been trying to do some puzzle caches some end up with a 6 digit coordinate some with a 10 digit and some with 12 which really confuses me as they just seem like numbers to me. The only co ordinates I slightly understand are this sort (N 053 09.480 W 001 09.690) Any help would be much appreciated

Please give some examples.

When I've solved puzzles (or done multi-caches) that produced 6 digits, they generally used the 6 digits for the thousandths of a minute. For example, if the posted coordinates are

N 37° 25.500 W 122° 06.500

and the puzzle produces the digits 502834, then the full coordinates of the solution would be

N 37° 25.502 W 122° 06.834

Likewise, when the puzzle produced 10 digits, they generally used the 10 digits for the minutes and thousandths of a minute. With the above example, if the puzzle produced the digits 2601305998, then the full coordinates of the solution would be

N 37° 26.013 W 122° 05.998

There have been exceptions, but usually that is explained in the cache description.

You're in the UK. You don't mean Ordnance Survey British Grid coordinates do you? Like these SU 62202 04833 (10 digits) or the shorter 6 digit SU 622048?

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Policies Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website