Dangerous plants/wildlife in Florida?

Coldgears

What do I need to watch out for when bushwhacking and hikig?

I used to live in FL and the only things I ever ran into were golden orb weaver spiders. As far as I know they're not poisonous, just numerous and big and scary. They make mighty big and scary webs. Have I mentioned scary?? One time across an entire path at a NIGHT cache. Didn't complete it that night. I do know people who have seen alligators so be cautious around fresh and brackish water. Always look under your car before getting in. Lol!

Folks want to worry about bears, gators, venomous snakes, but statistically, what's gonna harm you is bugs - all manner of stinging insects and blood suckers.

They don't apply enough DEET product, or don't use any. Ticks can be stopped with the permethrin based products.

Typically people underestimate their sun exposure.

That said, sand spurs are terribly obnoxious, and found where ever there is grass, so isn't just hiking, they can be worse doing roadside PnG. Saw palmetto is called that because the stem is fine hacksaw like cutting edge. Some areas have cactus.

Poison ivy grows all over, north in the state the more toxic Poison Sumac, and south in the state Poison Wood.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep220

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Folks want to worry about bears, gators, venomous snakes, but statistically, what's gonna harm you is bugs - all manner of stinging insects and blood suckers.

They don't apply enough DEET product, or don't use any. Ticks can be stopped with the permethrin based products.

Typically people underestimate their sun exposure.

That said, sand spurs are terribly obnoxious, and found where ever there is grass, so isn't just hiking, they can be worse doing roadside PnG. Saw palmetto is called that because the stem is fine hacksaw like cutting edge. Some areas have cactus.

Poison ivy grows all over, north in the state the more toxic Poison Sumac, and south in the state Poison Wood.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep220

So FL is basically PA with gators and venemous snakes, and poison wood and plants that cut you. (well technically we had copperheads in the applachians, but I so rarely visited that areas I never worried about it.)

Edit: Okay, so I was gonna say that Florida is better than PA because it doesn't have Seven Minute Itch. But apparently it does. Seven minute it h is by far worse than poison ivy and sumac combined.

It hit's you with a rush of intense pain and continues throbbing, itching and hurting for days.

Edited by Coldgears