New Message-Center-Bugs

PHIL

Hi, I noticed a few bugs with the new improved massage-center:

- I tried to answer to an notifocation-email directly. I tried it with both of my email-adresses registerd at gc.com but both times a got the "Your Geocaching message failed to send. Your email address is not part of this conversation."-Error mail. (I can choose different veriefied adresses as sender-adress in gmail.)

- It seems not to be possible to choose account names with less than 5 charcters to start a new conversation. I tried with "PHIL" and "Trix". Both don't worked for me. Of corse I can open the profile page over my friends-lists an d start a conversation there, but inside the massage center it don't work.

Edited by PHIL

The Problem with the short names is now solved but I am still not able to answer Message-Center-notifications.

I guess its related with gmails sender information. The mail-datails show:

Sender: <second-gc-Validated-adress@gmail.com>

It seems that the message-center is checking the sender-address, not the from-address.

I guess its related with gmails sender information. The mail-datails show:

Sender: <second-gc-Validated-adress@gmail.com>

It seems that the message-center is checking the sender-address, not the from-address.

It wouldn't be crazy for geocaching.com to pay attention to the From address, but it turns out that taking the Send address is the correct approach. The protocol that defines those e-mail headers says the Sender field is the official source of the e-mail, while the From field is informational and doesn't have to identify the actual source. So those headers suggest to me that you're actually sending the mail from the second account -- presumably a central mailbox where all your e-mail ends up -- but in this case, the e-mail system knows that you want it to say its from the primary account. You've told the e-mail system (perhaps without knowing you have) to mask the irrelevant (to you) detail of the actual mailbox when sending geocaching e-mail, but geocaching.com saw through your subterfuge. I use "subterfuge" jokingly since you're obviously not trying to fool anyone, but the e-mail system doesn't know that.

I'm actually kinda impressed you're having this problem, since it's quite common for code like this to be written by someone unfamiliar with the details of e-mail, so they mistakenly pick the From field because it's the most obvious even though it's not really the right choice.

It would be nice if gc would accept all verified addresses than. I am sure I am not the only one who is not able to use the answers function in the moment.

Yes, this would be the ideal solution. That way you could verify your email account's "primary" address, but still use a different gc.com "primary" address for MC correspondence.

Alternately, (or better still, additionally), the MC verification could check both the "From" and the "Sender" header for a match.