Found a mark in the woods - trouble finding it on here

clay_wells

Hi all - I recently found a marker near a very popular camping area in northern Arkansas. I have searched for it in the database on this site but can't find it. I have the lat/long coordinates for it and below is a link to a photo of it.

Any suggestions on how to find this?

Thanks.

Here are links to the images:

Edited by clay_wells

Clay as Kayak indicated, you found a land ownership corner. 99% of these are not in the NGS database and cannot be logged in this arena. You specifically found the South 1/16 corner for Section 7 and is a part of the Public Lands Survey System (PLSS). This is the base system for the majority of the land ownership system in the majority of the western U.S. This is a unique location that can be very easily identified as I am showing in the aerial and quad images:aerial.jpgquad.jpg

Happy hunting!

Hi all - I recently found a marker near a very popular camping area in northern Arkansas. I have searched for it in the database on this site but can't find it. I have the lat/long coordinates for it and below is a link to a photo of it.

Thanks.

Very interesting - thanks for the info. With your explanation (some of) the numbers on the marker now make sense. Again, than you!

Clay as Kayak indicated, you found a land ownership corner. 99% of these are not in the NGS database and cannot be logged in this arena. You specifically found the South 1/16 corner for Section 7 and is a part of the Public Lands Survey System (PLSS). This is the base system for the majority of the land ownership system in the majority of the western U.S. This is a unique location that can be very easily identified as I am showing in the aerial and quad images:aerial.jpgquad.jpg

Happy hunting!

Thanks.

There are two main reasons you might not find a data sheet for a mark.

1) There are dozens of federal agencies and thousands of state, county, and city agencies, plus untold private companies who all set survey marks for various purposes. The vast majority of them are not measured to the exacting standards or processed through the "Bluebook" procedure to get into the National Geodetic Survey (former Coast and Geodetic Survey) data base.

You'll find most of the marks are not in the data base for the National Park Service, the US Geological Survey, Army Corps of Engineers, most of the State Survey marks (of the 1930's), on down to the local level, and almost any cadastral (land corner) monuments.

2) The Geocaching data for bench marks is a snapshot of the NGS data base as of about 15 years ago and has not/will not be updated, so anything added at NGS after that won't show up here.

thanks you for the info!

There are two main reasons you might not find a data sheet for a mark.

1) There are dozens of federal agencies and thousands of state, county, and city agencies, plus untold private companies who all set survey marks for various purposes. The vast majority of them are not measured to the exacting standards or processed through the "Bluebook" procedure to get into the National Geodetic Survey (former Coast and Geodetic Survey) data base.

You'll find most of the marks are not in the data base for the National Park Service, the US Geological Survey, Army Corps of Engineers, most of the State Survey marks (of the 1930's), on down to the local level, and almost any cadastral (land corner) monuments.

2) The Geocaching data for bench marks is a snapshot of the NGS data base as of about 15 years ago and has not/will not be updated, so anything added at NGS after that won't show up here.

Clay Wells,

Maybe wandering off the thread a bit, but some of my most satisfying finds have been NONPID points (for sure not in the Geocache list) where there was published information on their location. Specifically in your area there might be some long lost MIRC (Mississippi River Commission two part monuments from the late 1800's). Maybe LSUfan will jump in here.

Another batch of points would be Precise Level Net runs from the early 1900's. I think that there are some old threads here that will help you mine that info off the net.

I don't way-mark, but will usually scab some photos onto a nearby PID.

Scab Photos for 1890 MORC BM 26

93eea7a5-a0d4-4c85-88fb-60a32dcc5f54.jpg

9728193a-31e7-4706-971e-7f888b046fae.jpg

Possible, but never acknowledged, hard points left during the 40th Parallel survey by Clarence King (1867-72) are another sub-set that I have researched but probably don't have the energy to go after any more. (GE .kmz file available to anyone after direct e-mail contact).

kayakbird

OK this sounds really cool - you're using some terms I'm not familiar with but that's ok. I'll figure them out as all of this is somewhat new to me.

Also, I'm an LSU fan as well so I look forward to hearing from this LSUFan person you mention :)

Am I to understand that you have a .kmz file to this location?

Clay Wells,

Maybe wandering off the thread a bit, but some of my most satisfying finds have been NONPID points (for sure not in the Geocache list) where there was published information on their location. Specifically in your area there might be some long lost MIRC (Mississippi River Commission two part monuments from the late 1800's). Maybe LSUfan will jump in here.

Another batch of points would be Precise Level Net runs from the early 1900's. I think that there are some old threads here that will help you mine that info off the net.

I don't way-mark, but will usually scab some photos onto a nearby PID.

Scab Photos for 1890 MORC BM 26

93eea7a5-a0d4-4c85-88fb-60a32dcc5f54.jpg

9728193a-31e7-4706-971e-7f888b046fae.jpg

Possible, but never acknowledged, hard points left during the 40th Parallel survey by Clarence King (1867-72) are another sub-set that I have researched but probably don't have the energy to go after any more. (GE .kmz file available to anyone after direct e-mail contact).

kayakbird

Clay Wells & all,

The Google Earth .kmz file is for locations (in one degree longitude sub-files) along the route of one of the major surveys of the west during the last portion of the 19th century. Do a forum search here for 'Fortieth Parallel Survey' and go to post #10.

More information in link in another thread 'USGS DISK STYLES' post #4 indicate that in the early 1900's numerous points had rock cairns built over metal triangulation tablets (what we refer to as a disk. Leidy Peak, PID LN0694, Monumented 1897, has a been logged with a photo. Station mark, Lena, Uinta County, Utah was a Copper bolt cemented in sandstone.

You did need a reason for a road trip west next summer, right! kayakbird