The new White Background

Mockingbird559

When this change was implemented earlier today, I was hoping it was just temporary. It's definitely a bit harsh on the eyes. Not sure how this is supposed to increase readability for anyone, as the main sections we would be reading still have the same appearance (black text on grey background). I certainly hope the main reading sections don't change.

Dear lord...how about the smilies? Aren't you folks going to complain about the smilies too?

Or the ugly teal-colored buttons at the top? Aren't those ugly?

What about the size of the avatar images? Too small, right? Hurts your eyes, no?

Oh oh oh...and the 'Reply' and 'MultiQuote' buttons should have different icons, shouldn't they? I mean, it's impossible to tell them apart! (aside from the different text).

And that green color of the quote boxes just totally clashes with the surrounding gray color of each post! What were they THINKING?!?!

Dear lord...how about the smilies? Aren't you folks going to complain about the smilies too?

What about the size of the avatar images? Too small, right? Hurts your eyes, no?

Oh oh oh...and the 'Reply' and 'MultiQuote' buttons should have different icons, shouldn't they? I mean, it's impossible to tell them apart! (aside from the different text).

And that green color of the quote boxes just totally clashes with the surrounding gray color of each post! What were they THINKING?!?!

Thank you for your opinion about our opinions and your gripe about our gripes. I didn't realize that you had the exclusive on opinions and gripes.

Thank you for your opinion about our opinions and your gripe about our gripes. I didn't realize that you had the exclusive on opinions and gripes.

Surprising what you miss while away.

Yes well...just goes to show that any change, no matter how inconsequential, will inspire outrage.

Just for a little perspective on 'white backgrounds':

GMail: http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/gmail_inbox.jpg

MS Word: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9xaA0wQ3yro/maxresdefault.jpg

MS Excel: http://pubpages.unh.edu/~lvf6/excel_spreadsheet.jpg

Geocaching.com: https://www.geocaching.com/

Geocaching profile: https://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

Wait... I'm confused. Where is the offending white background?[...]

f29080bac7ef366028470d1c5ebdaf31.png

Well, have a look at the middle of the top half page: pure white room without any content. The content we are looking for is on the last 1/3 at the bottom of the page.

That is pretty poor page design.

Hans

Wait... I'm confused. Where is the offending white background? Is it here in the forum? Or on the geocaching.com site? Or somewhere else?

Short answer: yes.

Well, have a look at the middle of the top half page: pure white room without any content. The content we are looking for is on the last 1/3 at the bottom of the page.

That is pretty poor page design.

Hans

As I understand it, the forum software is third-party. It's customizable, but with effort that nobody likely really wants to put forth. I don't know if they upgraded their software which wiped out the neutral beige toned background or if they intentionally changed it to white...but I can't see how it makes any real difference.

Edited by J Grouchy

I LOL'd

Ah, got it. They changed the Geocaching theme for the forums. I never noticed, because I always use the IP.Board skin

How are you changing the skins? I don't see that option in the settings anywhere and google tells me that should be done server-side..?

ETA: When this happened yesterday I thought I was having browser issues (again)

Edited by frinklabs

Personally, I don't have a problem with the white. Sure, it's different and it'll take some getting used to, but white backgrounds on webpages are certainly not unheard of. Most of the programs I use on a daily basis at work have significant amounts of white, so a bit more white on a website isn't going to rock my world.

I would never mock those who have a differing opinion.

How are you changing the skins?

At the very bottom-left of the page, there are two dropdowns. If you're seeing the white background, then the left dropdown should say "Geocaching". The other options under that dropdown are alternate skins.

Thank you for that. I had no idea.

Edited by L0ne.R

Ah, got it. They changed the Geocaching theme for the forums. I never noticed, because I always use the IP.Board skin, which looks like this:

99fa9d3a-a3a6-4841-8e3c-a9f7cd5d50be_l.png

Found the pulldowns. Was set to Geocaching. Pulled down the pulldown to see what was there. When I released it, it was set to Geocaching.

My computer locked up.

Had to reboot.

When I went back in, I set it to IP.Board.

Still way too much white. Still hurts the eyes.

Change for the sake of change is rarely good. Not a better mistake.

Is there any way to have the IP.Board make changes back to the way it was?

From a technical perspective, yes.

Here's a link to a list of skins for this board. Google it -- there are many many many options to customize the look and feel of this board software.

However, from an operational perspective, I'd guess no.

Based on the level of customization offered elsewhere on the site and the number of times requests for change have been heeded, I'd wager it is unlikely that options will be provided.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the white. Sure, it's different and it'll take some getting used to, but white backgrounds on webpages are certainly not unheard of. Most of the programs I use on a daily basis at work have significant amounts of white, so a bit more white on a website isn't going to rock my world.

I would never mock those who have a differing opinion.

I can still read it, of course. But it begs the question, "WHY?!?" Why change the forums? Was it deliberate or was it due to a forum upgrade, or did someone mess up the style sheets? Did the forums really need a visual makeover? And if so, is this really better?

Cool -- thanks!

Maybe they made the change because now that most monitors are LCD instead of CRT, having a white background reduces global warming?

EDIT: typo

Wouldn't a black background be more "green"?

An LCD monitor's backlight is always on, regardless of what is being displayed. Theoretically, if the screen colour is black, most of the light is being absorbed and converted to radiant heat. If the colour is white, the light is allowed to pass through unconverted.

Get use to it... its all about them and not about the customers. That's what happen when a company own 95% of the market. Wanna teach them a lesson? Dont renew your PM.

I dont like it...but I dont have any voice here anymore...thats along a major of us.

Making better mistake tomorrow...

I don't understand why changing the look of the forum would serve Groundspeak's purposes, though. Maybe the price on green pixels has gone up recently and they're trying to save some bucks?

Get use to it... its all about them and not about the customers. That's what happen when a company own 95% of the market. Wanna teach them a lesson? Dont renew your PM.

I dont like it...but I dont have any voice here anymore...thats along a major of us.

Making better mistake tomorrow...

I don't understand why changing the look of the forum would serve Groundspeak's purposes, though. Maybe the price on green pixels has gone up recently and they're trying to save some bucks?

No...the new layout looked like nurse Ratched took over.

Old and new color schemes for comparison:

I could care less, and I probably wouldn't have noticed if someone hadn't mentioned it, but now that I see the comparison, it looks like the old way sent an image for the background. If so, I'm fine with them not bothering any more. In fact, if they'd gone the other way -- from sending nothing to sending an image -- I think we'd be getting more complaints about unnecessary changes just to put hills in the background than we are about being blinded because the hills were removed.

uv_header.png

Bring it back.

Since The geocaching style is no longer branded, I would like the person who changed the CSS of the forum from

background: #8C9E63url("/web/20150912193106im_/http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/public/style_images/geocaching/uv_header.png") no-repeat right top;

to

background: #fff;

to stop by and explain this odd choice?

Edited by fbingha