Upgraded GPS's, oh my, some questions

Since 2003 I've been using a Garmin 60CS. I finally needed to upgrade and got the 64ST, which I get tomorrow. It seems everything I knew has changed as far as maps, making routes and waypoints, or so it seems. The hardest thing I'm trying to understand is the mapping/routing. It comes with the preloaded TOPO maps and the basemap, but I can't figure out what is needed for detailed street maps and routing. Everything I've read is as clear as mud to me.

Can anyone bring this old timer up to date? Thanks.

I'm not really concerned about the street routing as much as just entering all the places I want to visit and have roads lead me to them if I get lost ;-) I have my smartphones mapping if I really need it. It just would be nice to have one unit, like the one I bought LOL

So I got I can use Navigator, but isn't it discontinued? I know you can still buy it though. And the Nuvi maps won't work with the 64ST. What program is used for making a waypoints map now? It's just funny how much has changed.

Thanks,

Dave

I'm not really concerned about the street routing as much as just entering all the places I want to visit and have roads lead me to them if I get lost ;-) I have my smartphones mapping if I really need it. It just would be nice to have one unit, like the one I bought LOL

So I got I can use Navigator, but isn't it discontinued? I know you can still buy it though. And the Nuvi maps won't work with the 64ST. What program is used for making a waypoints map now? It's just funny how much has changed.

Thanks,

Dave

Nuvi maps (City Navigator) work fine in the handheld. You have to buy them again, though. The CN in your Nuvi is licensed only to that unit and can't be copied to the handheld. Garmin's BaseCamp is free, and works well in managing geocaches, waypoints, maps, routes and tracks.

As a matter of fact, BaseCamp supports the Nuvi, too. I use it to send driving waypoints and Routes to my Nuvi, and geocaches, waypoints and tracks to my 64s.

The point.... Buying CN makes no sense as buying a Nuvi is only a little more... and they have proper sized screen and voice navigation and lane guidance and much more that the 64 does not have.

You can get the free Openstreet maps and they will route. They are usually quite accurate, but routing will vary depending on your location.

The current Garmin program is "Basecamp".

Thanks,

Dave

You say you don't want street routing, but you really do. The topo map your 64st comes with has the roads you'll need for reference, but not for routing. If you really wanted one unit to do it all, you should have considered a Montana, or at the very least an Oregon. The touch screen interface is much nicer for use in the car, and both of these units offer a Nuvi-like experience for automotive navigation. You can use the 64 for automotive navigation, but it's kinda clunky, especially for quick switching back and forth between navigating by road and direct navigation when you get out of the car.

Nuvi maps will work with the 64st, but remember your map purchase is locked to your particular unit unless you buy pre-installed on a SD card, in which case your SD card slot is now taken up by your CN map. The reason others have recommended buying a Nuvi on the side instead of paying for CN maps is that Nuvis come with lifetime map updates, and the most entry level (read: cost efficient) Nuvi isn't much more expensive than buying the maps for your 64st. Just be aware that Nuvis don't handle geocaches the same way that handhelds do.

For creating and managing waypoints, routes, tracks, and custom maps, use Garmin's BaseCamp software.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm a bit confusing. Guess I was used to my 60CS. Routing is not a priority, but would be nice to have. I got what I got and I'm sure it'll do more than I need. Mostly I need the topo maps for an upcoming trip to Southern Utah and finding places way off the beaten path. The price for the bigger units was an issue too, but this is not something I'll be using everyday or for that that often probably. Mostly for areas I've never been before.