eTrex 30 proximity alarm map display

NoCoMTB

I have an eTrex 30 which I often use proximity alarms with. The radius for which I set the alarm used to display on my map screen as a red circle, however, I recently upgraded to the latest firmware (4.30) and they now display in a light yellow color. The problem is that the maps I use have a very similar background color most of the time, making these nearly impossible to see in most cases. I downgraded my firmware back to 4.10 - the version which the unit came equipped with, but this did not fix the problem so I've gone back to version 4.30.

I was curious if anyone is aware of a way to manually set the color for these proximity circles on the eTrex 30? I have tried setting them manually on the unit itself, and also in Garmin Basecamp but both methods yield the same result.

Below is a screen shot of the yellow proximity circle from my eTrex, and another print screen from a proximity circle around a waypoint in basecampe.

546_zpspuskt91q.png

proximity_zps10m79mul.jpg

My proximity circle is red with V4.30 software, installed on my etrex 30 and its red on my 64st and 62sc as well,and my track color is different so that cant be it. I am not sure you can adjust the color of the proximity circle, but maybe someone else will know for sure.

Edited by Forkeye

My proximity circle is red with V4.30 software, installed on my etrex 30 and its red on my 64st and 62sc as well,and my track color is different so that cant be it. I am not sure you can adjust the color of the proximity circle, but maybe someone else will know for sure.

Interesting that you are getting a different color circle on the same unit with the same firmware. I tried changing my track color and that did not have any affect. It seems that since we are having different colors, there must be a setting somewhere that controls this but I sure can't figure out what it is.

I have tried setting them manually on the unit itself ...

How have you tried that? My proximity circles have always been yellow and I've never found a way to manually change that?

Perhaps they vary depending on what you've selected in Setup, Display?

I was referring to setting proximity alarms manually on the unit, vs setting them in basecamp and then downloading them to the unit.

I hope we can figure this out. Forkeye's unit displays in red, sussamb's unit has always displayed them as yellow, and my unit has displayed them in both red and yellow. So, we know that it is possible to change, that's a start!

Thanks for the input so far!

I have tried 3 different map sources on my eTrex, and several color theme settings and there is no affect there. It may be coincidental, but I definitely noticed the change from red to yellow when I upgraded to 4.30. @Forkeye I wonder why yours didn't change when you upgraded as well. So strange.

Mine's always been yellow ...

Red in BaseCamp and Red on the 64s. I don't see any way in BaseCamp or on the 64s to alter that.

Red in BaseCamp yellow on my eTrex 20 and GPSMAP 64s. I think it's always been yellow on both but I use it for the the warning so don't pay a lot of attention to the color.

Edited by DavisonDave

Curious. I'll check my eTrex 20/GPSMAP 62s/Oregon 600 when I get home.

I have the same proximity alarm on all 3 devices (one of those "the cache is X meters from the tag along the pond edge" caches)

On all three of my devices, the proximity circle is white or a light blue.

DSC_0478_zpsrdodaaco.jpg

What maps are you using? That's pretty easy to see with the dark background.

Curious. I'll check my eTrex 20/GPSMAP 62s/Oregon 600 when I get home.

I have the same proximity alarm on all 3 devices (one of those "the cache is X meters from the tag along the pond edge" caches)

On all three of my devices, the proximity circle is white or a light blue.

DSC_0478_zpsrdodaaco.jpg

What maps are you using? That's pretty easy to see with the dark background.

The GPSMAP 62s and Oregon 600 are using the new style OSM (Open Street Map) map for Ontario, Quebec, and New York.

The eTrex 20 only has the Garmin provided base map.

Interesting, I only have topo maps on all three of my gps units and all my proximity circles are red. I have tried all of my maps out to see if it made a difference and it doesn't. However the maps are not all Garmins, I have maps from three different company's but it could be possible that whatever creates the red circle is the same in all of them. Did anyone notice the pointer color is also different in each photo.

Has anyone asked Garmin yet?

Edited by Forkeye