1st Cache co ordinates

zebadee86

Hi

I want to hide my 1st cache, I have the container ready and I know the location and clues.

How do I find the co ordinates for my cache please? I use my phone when caching as I don't own a GPS but I have no idea how to find co ordinates on it!

Would using Google maps co ordinates work?

Thanks

Zeb

The guidelines to hiding a cache REQUIRE you to obtain coordinates with a GPS device. There are many gps apps for phones that will average coordinates to help you get the best possible coordinates for your cache. Google maps can be used to help verify that your cache coordinates are "in the ballpark".

I have used the free version of an app called Maverick on my Galaxy 5s to obtain coordinates and later verified them with my Garmin GPSr. The coordinates were accurate.

You can get coordinates with a phone app.

Take your time, take several/lots of readings.

Set the coordinates and see if they get you back to the cache from 20/30 feet away.

Do this 'several' times.

DONT use Google maps to get the coordinates, but you can use the maps to see if your reading is close.

AS you are in London watch out for the East/West coordinate change!

Amazing how many get their East and West mixed up. :laughing:

Also worth reading https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/United+Kingdom as there are specific UK guidelines.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

If you don't trust your coordinates, then test them.

Enter your coordinates into your device, and then approach the cache location from at least 100ft/30m away. The arrow should point right at the cache location as you approach. Repeat the process, approaching the cache location from various directions, from at least 100ft/30m away each time. No matter which direction you approach from, the arrow should point right at the cache location.

If it doesn't, then adjust your coordinates until it does.

Bonus points for repeating the test on another day when the GPS satellites are in a different configuration.

Also, the Help Center article How to Get Accurate Coordinates should prove useful.

Depending on what app you are using on your phone, you may see your current location coordinates on the home screen when you open the app. Otherwise, open a cache page, click on navigate to cache, then go to your hide location, and click on add a waypoint (how this works varies on different apps/phones) and take your reading there.

Be sure to take multiple readings, giving your phone time to settle down. I like to take screenshots of various readings, then average the results.

Another option is to make friends with a more experienced cacher and have them come with you to your hide location with their GPS and take readings with you. This is a great learning opportunity where you can get advice on your coordinates, feedback on your cache plans etc.

Good luck.