Unknown Cache

Gaidai

[Pennsylvania]

Hello all,

Recently while I was taking a walk on a break from work, I came across what is unmistakably a geocache, laying out in the open on a small hill right next to Building 35 of the Harrisburg old state hospital grounds (building 35 is the morgue, you can see a picture of it here). It was a locking plastic container about the size of a shoebox, lying open with the lid nearby. Inside there was a pen, a rubber stamp in the shape of a house, an inkpad, and a plastic baggie containing a log. I took a walk in the same area yesterday and did not see it, plus it rained all day yesterday, so it must have showed up here very recently. The stamp and the inkpad look to have been ruined by water damage. I didn't have time to page through the log as I needed to get back to the office - I could find no other identifying marks. I searched the site for every cache I could find that would be located near that area, and none of them are close enough for me to assume it is one of them. Saw nothing in the inactive listings either. Either it's really old and somehow no longer listed at all, greatly misplaced, or somebody never logged it in to begin with. I can't check any premium listings as I do not currently have a premium account.

I'm going to see if I can at least gather it up and stick it behind the nearest tree if I can get out there again long enough to do so, but as it stands, it is in full view of building maintenance and will likely just be picked up and thrown out as trash soon.

FYI - if anybody knows what cache this is or who it might belong to!

Hmmm....yeah by that description, that's gotta be it. It was basically right next to the morgue and I just don't see any other active caches in the area that are close enough to that exact spot to have been any of them. The rubber stamp thing threw me off - I only know geocaches, and it certainly looked like one!

Well, I don't have any sort of account there and not inclined to make one just for this purpose, so I guess if I encounter it again I'll just try and put it back as best I can. If anybody does have an account there and wants to link the owner of that letterbox to this thread, I'm sure it would be appreciated - it looks like it's been there for at least 8 years.

Thanks all for the clarification!

Well, this is settled now. I did go back and get a chance to look at the log - it is indeed not only a letterbox cache, but the exact cache Spatial_Distortion linked to above. Put everything back in the box and stuck it behind the nearest tree large enough that maintenance won't see it. Their email address was in there so I'll let them know about it.

Thanks, all!