Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Indigowolf13

Rainy Day Geocaching Lessons/Games

Hi! I do small geocaching programs for scout and school groups that are only about 1 to 1.5 hours long. Normally I set up fake geocaches in an area, teach about geocaching and how to use the GPS units, then send the kids out with a GPS and clue sheet to find the ones I hid. I have had very good luck with the weather thus far, but my luck is running out.

Does anyone have any cool indoor geocaching games or ideas that would help get a young crowd interested in geocaching? Any that would help scouts get their geocaching badges when they can't go outside? Thank you!

Why can't you go outside? Earthquakes? Volcanic eruption? Tornados?

GPS units work in all weather conditions. Use rainjackets and trousers and waterproof walking shoes.

So equipped, you can go outside for geocaching and still have fun. Keep in mind, that rain is just water.

As an educator, I understand and agree that it is not always possible to get outside!

I am making a simple map of the cafeteria where we meet in inclement weather and will make coordinates using the ceiling tiles.

I am mocking up a dozen or so simple caches to put under the base of the flag stand, taped behind the handrail, between the bars under the table, under the trash can, etc.

This is for summer camp coming up so I have time to work on it, but I will be able to reuse the containers and laminated activity sheets.

Besides having the kids find/navigate to caches, what about spending some time creating caches. Learning about what types of containers are appropriate (waterproof) and being crafty by building some camo containers (split logs that waterproof container could be hidden in). You might also be able to do some teaching about projection, and what a heading of 90 vs 180 vs 270 degrees means. This might be dependent of the kids' ages though.

Why can't you go outside? Earthquakes? Volcanic eruption? Tornados?

GPS units work in all weather conditions. Use rainjackets and trousers and waterproof walking shoes.

So equipped, you can go outside for geocaching and still have fun. Keep in mind, that rain is just water.

Reminds me of an article I recently read about how American children spend considerably less time outdoors than European children. There are plenty of parents in the USA that, rightly or wrongly, do not want their kids going outside for recess (play breaks) during bad weather. I've managed day camp kids before and dealing with parents that don't agree with how much 'exposure' their kids have had to sun or rain can be problematic. This might fall under the 'cultural differences' category.

Hi! I do small geocaching programs for scout and school groups that are only about 1 to 1.5 hours long. Normally I set up fake geocaches in an area, teach about geocaching and how to use the GPS units, then send the kids out with a GPS and clue sheet to find the ones I hid. I have had very good luck with the weather thus far, but my luck is running out.

Does anyone have any cool indoor geocaching games or ideas that would help get a young crowd interested in geocaching? Any that would help scouts get their geocaching badges when they can't go outside? Thank you!

orienteering - - - is a lot of fun. it doesn't require a Premium Membership, or submitting anything to a website for approval. You can setup an orienteering course inside a gymnasium, and teach the kids about compass / map usage in the process. A few gyms have odd metal roofs that mess with gps triangulation, so orienteering is the next go-to.

Or, you could have them design a treasure hunt, two teams, each designing for the other.