Newest Geoquilt project

DxChallenged

Hey! To date I have made 4 geocaching signature quilts. The first over a year ago collected signatures from acrost the US and several countries; that one was given to Jeremy. The second one was called from Sea to Shinning sea and had squares placed in States from NY to CA. Geeba, a California cacher, was the one that won that quilt. Then I did a quilt in Canada. I had red a white squares in every province in Canada...That was delivered to 300mag last week. He and Cliffy will decide who ends up with it. Then this past weekend Fearless Leader and I hosted a geocaching event in my town. The event was held in conjunction with the parks department winterfest. I only gave cachers a week's worth of PR and presented them with fridged temps...but over 35 showed up!! They all signed a quilt that I gave to the Erie County Parks Commissioner that night......gave it to him while surrounded by parks officials.....so it ended up being great PR for the sport............

Now I am thinking about the next project, mulling over how well having a joint event worked out, liking the idea of getting more people interested in the sport and needing some sort of banner for a geocaching display: to draw attention to potential newbees

This is what I came up with....

*I would piece together letter blocks that would spell out "Geocaching...Discover the beauty around you"(Something like that)

*Then I would request photos from geocachers acrost the State, have them sized to 3 1/2", copy them and turn them into fabric blocks.....

*The finished quilt would resemble a long rectangle that would travel to different events in NY State...

What do you think?

DxChallenged

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

This past week, I have been catching up on these threads, since I have not been on in quite some time. I just found this thread.

Wow - I'm surprised at the lack of response in this thread. Dx, are you going to continue with this?

I participated in GeoQuilt II and I just like the whole idea of geoquilts in general.

-----

You must be present to win.

quote:
Originally posted by DxChallenged:

This is what I came up with....

*I would piece together letter blocks that would spell out "Geocaching...Discover the beauty around you"(Something like that)

How about using the official tagline?

"Geocaching: where you are the search engine"

-----

Hey MissJenn & Rygel,

Well I was a bit suprised by the lack of response but at the smae time the quilts that seem to "hit the mark" are ones that are anything other than signature quilts......Signing a log signing & a quilt square just seem to go together. The photo thing is cool but after a bit I have come to understand the signing relationship.

I need to post on my page pictures of the 4 finished quilts that I have done with geocaching...1 is still out there (Lord of the rings), 1 is being planned for a summer NYState event cache.......and perhaps.......a Northeast quilt

OK so it has to be a signature quilt and I get bored with the same patterns....so what to do this time.....hmmmm I have a book that has one called happy trails....could send the blocks out for that...

What do you think? And I will post those px soon!

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

I think it is unbelievable that you keep giving these things away. icon_cool.gif I know that you get your own personal inner "profit" from making and presenting these quilts ... like any artist would.

I caught myself thinking about the possibilities of selling one of your geoquilts. This is a BABY idea, mind you! Would it be horrible? What do you think?

icon_confused.gif There are lots of possible permutations:

• you could auction if off via eBay and keep the profits - it's at least reimbursement to you for the materials you have had to buy and postage costs you have incurred
  • you could auction it off and give the money to some charity chosen by you or by the group at large
  • you could just put it up for a more traditional sale: "this quilt is for sale for $xxx" and list it in the For Sale portion of this Forum
  • any other thoughts out there?

-----

Good find Jen. I think I was otherwise preoccupied when this was brought up originally (lost my dad over the holiday season). Another great idea Deb...I love the idea of the pictures..the signatures could be added to the border or something as it travels to events. Of course you know any help you need just give a holler. Hey if you have any inkling for a roadtrip in early June check out the Geojamboree down this way. It would be great to meet you and should be a fun event with a night of camping.

Hey! What with sping quickly approaching...vacation planning and reports over my nostrils...it has taken me a bit to reply.

Yesterday I sorted through all my quilt pictures and found the ones that I had done with goecaching. I'll attempting putting them on my profile page this week.

jeannine...my sister-in-law has the same name. She also quilts. I would love more patterns. I have the EQ-5 quilt program for designing but my daughter uses it more than me. I just feel the need to sew every day.

Missjenn....I don't know about generosity. I enjoy quilting and the more I make the better I get at it. I have a friend who has 100 quilts in her home and an equal number waiting to be finished. I'd rather see my quilts "out there". Lately I have been making a quilt (lap sized) in a week and 1/2. So at that rate if I don't find a home for them they too would just sit and collect dust. I looked into selling them but with the cheap imitations from china going for $35 to $40 there is no way I can make any money at this (BTW the cheap ones won't last...tend to fall to pieces literally, when washed)....so I am honestly happy to make them up and send them out....I am pleased when people are happy with them icon_biggrin.gif

I had thought of doing a quilt block exchange cache......but to date have only met 4 other quilter cachers. icon_frown.gif

The banner thing I have panned........Just didn't seem to be the interest.......

I had considered doing a women's right's quilt. With caches near where famous women lived, were buried or at the women's right's museum. I have a pattern book with quilt blocks dedicated to women.

Teepee the geojamboree sounds very interesting.....maybe we could work out a quilt for the event? I have 2 without homes right now icon_smile.gif the family is always looking for new geocaching outings!!

Sunny here today and in the 40s......life is grand...we were in the single digits last week!

Dx

quote:
.I don't know about generosity. I enjoy quilting and the more I make the better I get at it. I have a friend who has 100 quilts in her home and an equal number waiting to be finished. I'd rather see my quilts "out there".

Well, more power to you! I wish you luck in your search to find more geocacher/quilters.

-----