NJ Geocachers Society???

Mopar

In another thread, Harrald pointed out this single line "At 12:30 we form the NJ geocachers society, and write down our names , email addresses and Cache handles. ....." tossed into the description of this upcoming NJ event.

I plan on attending the event, but I haven't heard any solid talk about forming a NJ group before this, so I would think there would be alot more to hammer out before signing on to this.

Comments?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I haven't talked to Magician yet, so I don't know what his are intentions are, but here is my take on it:

If we are talking about a loose knit "fun" group, I'm all for it, count me in.

Right now NJ is in the rather unique position of having the highest density of physical caches in the world, and yet no real problems with land managers that I have heard of. This could change at any time, so having at least the backbone of an organization in place that could step in and work with officials would be a good thing. I don't think at this time there is the need (or the desire) to have a more "official" group, with officers and charters and such. Maybe at some time in the future, if the cache climate changes, but right now it seems to be more work and problems then fun. I go caching for fun. A group of NJ cachers that get together for hikes, camping trips, trips, etc sounds fun. Arguing club politics and debating rules and regulations isn't.

I vote for fun.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Do we get bowling shirts or team jackets? Is there hazing involved or learning a secret handshake? icon_razz.gif

The 23rd is my birthday but I'd be interested in attending (at least for a few hours). Would be better if it were further north - like Bridgewater or thereabouts... (for me - of course that wouldn't apply for folks further south!).

Regardless, I'd like to go (to meet folks) if things work out for the 23rd.... but would probably pass on joining any "formal" organization.

[This message was edited by HartClimbs on March 07, 2003 at 07:15 PM.]

Mopar hit it right on the head. I want a fun bunch that we can email and get together with and have some fun. BUT I also though it would be a good idea to have a list of names just in case sometime in the future there is a problem with putting caches in state parks. Then by having names and email address it would be much easier to band together into one large voice....

As for presidents vice presidents secretarys etc....we'll vote for them only if we need them.

My plan as I said was to get to know everyone and have fun....no one wanted to get it started so I did....

If ever there were a need for members, it is not too difficult to get in contact with one another. We all have e-mail accounts linked to our GC.com profiles.

As I posted on the cache page, I am ridding myself of memberships so have little interest in a NJ Geocaching Society. Nevertheless, I would enjoy meeting everyone for a day of caching.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Hello friends,

I plan on showing up for the get-together and enjoying a day of geocaching and meeting everyone. As for Forming the Society I say both sides have good arguments and those who want to sign up should do so, and those of us that don't should not and leave it at that. Your never going to satisfy all of the people all of the time.

I am currently trying to organize a geocache event in the Belleplain State Forest in early May. The plan so far is to have a ton of caches hidden in the area by then and to reserve a sheltered pavillion near the lake as a meeting place. The park office said that would be ok. Also geocachers could show up anytime after the park opens to get the cache sheets from me at the pavillion and could geocache all day if they wanted too before heading back to the pavillion at dusk for meeting/prizes.

What do you think? icon_confused.gif Any input from my fellow geocachers would be appreciated before I submit the event cache.

Hope to see you all in 2 weeks. Thanks njski...

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

Hey, I asked about this awhile ago and everybody jumped all over me!!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Hmmm, I can always use a little jump.... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bayberry:

Has anyone sent specific invitations to any of the other well-known NJ cachers? I'm thinking of tneigel, in particular, but I'm sure there are others who haven't signed in yet.

Tom checks into the site almost every day , even if not here in the forums, as do most of the better known cachers. I would think they would see the event listed at the top of the new caches page, as well as in the weekly emailings. Still, if anyone knows someone they think would like to go, but hasnt logged a note on the event page yet, I'm sure a quick email wouldnt hurt.

Guys and Gals,

I'd be willing to host a NJGS (or whatever we end up calling it) site. I have a site that I don't use at all. 100MB of storage and 4GB a month bandwith.

We need just need to decide on a domain name.

If this thing takes off we could get a group together to design a site. There are a lot of state groups that have very nice pages.

I know basic stuff and have Frontpage as well as Dreamweaver, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Ok, just my 3 cents: I like the sound of NJGA (NJ Geocaching Association) better then NJGS. No other reason. Just like the way the letters sound better. icon_biggrin.gif

As for a website, if you need Frontpage to design a site, let someone else do it. No offense meant to magician or rygel or anyone else personally.

Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

As for a website, if you need Frontpage to design a site, let someone else do it.

I will not have anything to do with any web site not done in Notepad ... maybe I'll let code created in UltraEdit or SimpleText ... but that's it. icon_smile.gif

Actually, I can think of a lot of neat things to go on a New Jersey Caching site. We talk alot about interesting caches in the forums and I often go back through them to find interesting caches people have meantioned. We could have a Cache of the Month or the StayFloopy top ten picks of the week. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by themagician:

There are a lot of caches hidden in really great

places. and the stayflooopy top ten of this month

sounds great to me. Then of course someone will have to do the top ten terrible caches.

And everyone hates my hillybilly cache.

Too steep. too muddy. too close to the car. too far from the car.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/njgeocaching/index.html

Don't say EVERYBODY! icon_smile.gif

I had no complaints about it other then the fact that the container isn't holding up well and the logbook had frozen together, hehehehe.

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

Anybody care to share the outcome of the meeting? Anyone take minutes? icon_wink.gif

Sure! Took minutes! Took degrees and seconds too! icon_smile.gif

As far as anything "official" goes, I think we voted to go with NJ Geocaching Association, just because NJGA sounds better then NJGS. With logic like that, this should be a fun group!

There is a South Jersey weekend camping event coming up, and I think we talked about one the month after in Cheesequake. Truthfully, we were too busy having fun to do much "official", which is fine by me. Like I stated up at the top, I'm in this to have fun, so as long as this njga idea is fun, I'm all for it.