Nasty little Windows 10 bug

Just recently upgraded to Windows 10 and am having problems uploading photos taken in portrait orientation but when copied to Windows end up in landscape. In Windows 7 you could bring up the photo in the viewer and rotate it. The photo would be saved and when uploaded to Waymarking.com would have the correct orientation. The Windows 10 photo viewer does not appear to save the orientation change necessitating the use of an alternative software to change the orientation.

See the article here. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/auto-rotate-in-photos-app-does-not-stay-when-i/6f80830b-68f0-493e-a2db-0d56c6805a49

Just recently upgraded to Windows 10 and am having problems uploading photos taken in portrait orientation but when copied to Windows end up in landscape. In Windows 7 you could bring up the photo in the viewer and rotate it. The photo would be saved and when uploaded to Waymarking.com would have the correct orientation. The Windows 10 photo viewer does not appear to save the orientation change necessitating the use of an alternative software to change the orientation.

Irfanview is one such example of alternative software that can help, for those who want to give it a spin. http://www.irfanview.com

You can strip the orientation from the photos using a program called exifcleaner, then when you rotate the photo the correct orientation will get saved when you rotate the photo.

Yeh, I had to use an existing "photoshop" like tool I had to work around the problem. But compared to Windows 7 it adds additional overhead to processing portrait photos. I have to believe that Microsoft will be pressed into correcting this.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

Irfanview is one such example of alternative software that can help, for those who want to give it a spin. http://www.irfanview.com

An even better alternative (IMHO, that is) is FastStone Image Viewer, which, within its settings, can be made to either use or ignore orientation data. Generally, I choose to ignore it. The great thing about Faststone, though, is its capability. It is much more than an image viewer, having a large array of image editing features and tools. I use Gimp or Photoshop for warps and compositing and Faststone for all my other post processing. Most operations can be done from the keyboard - less grabbing for the mouse then returning to the keyboard - more time saved. It's fast, it's stable, it's easy to learn and, compared to loading, editing then saving photos with Gimp or Photoshop, this thing saves hours of time every week. The best part? It's freeware, almost certainly the best piece of freeware I've come across in this century. Really!!!

Anyone who does much post processing at all needs to try it.