How old are the geocaching maps?

PennyPA

So many times I get the message the app can't find this or that address. And today I was looking for a campground along the Ohio River to see if there were any caches nearby and first, it couldn't find the address and secondly, it didn't have the campground there. I "searched" all along the river from Rising Sun southward and it just wasn't there.

So many times I get the message the app can't find this or that address. And today I was looking for a campground along the Ohio River to see if there were any caches nearby and first, it couldn't find the address and secondly, it didn't have the campground there. I "searched" all along the river from Rising Sun southward and it just wasn't there.

You talking about two different things, neither of which Groundspeak "owns". When searching for a location by address it uses an external service (actually it uses several services) which searches a database an, if it finds a match, returns a set of lat/long coordinates. Those external services many not have every address on earth. The maps themselves also come from several different external sources including Google and open street maps. According to a page on the google site their satellite view maps may contain images 1-3 years old.

My workaround:

Go to Google Maps. Type in the address there.

After it is found, click on the map somewhere. A little pin will pop up with a mini-window displaying an address (maybe) and a set of coordinates (definitely).

Copy these coordinates into the Geocaching map search box.

My workaround:

Go to Google Maps. Type in the address there.

After it is found, click on the map somewhere. A little pin will pop up with a mini-window displaying an address (maybe) and a set of coordinates (definitely).

Copy these coordinates into the Geocaching map search box.

When you're on Google Maps you can also right click anyplace on the map and a menu with pop up. Click on the "What's Here?" link and it will pop up another window with a place name and a set of lat/long coordinates in decimal degrees format. You can copy-n-paste the coordinates into the new search form. YOU

I've been telling Google for 10 years or so that 911 addressing in my county caused quite a few roads in my county to be renamed. They haven't responded. That doesn't include that I have learned not to trust the location of businesses as shown on Google maps and this isn't just my county. It is unbelievable how far off they are -- many by several miles. Garmin Nuvi map was updated to our current road names about 5 years ago. You are at the mercy of how up to date the map makers are. Best bet is to have coordinates to work with.

I've been telling Google for 10 years or so that 911 addressing in my county caused quite a few roads in my county to be renamed. They haven't responded. That doesn't include that I have learned not to trust the location of businesses as shown on Google maps and this isn't just my county. It is unbelievable how far off they are -- many by several miles. Garmin Nuvi map was updated to our current road names about 5 years ago. You are at the mercy of how up to date the map makers are. Best bet is to have coordinates to work with.

I've been doing some planning for a trip I'm taking to Beijing about a week and a half from now and the maps are very inconsistent. I'll be staying near the Old Summer Palace and want to spend some time there or the Olympic Forest Park where there are quite a few caches. If you look at cache on the map page and select the Google maps, the map is shifted several hundred feet to the left. Switching to satellite view and the road layer doesn't line up either. Switch the maps to the Leaflet maps and using the OSM maps, and the caches appear to be in the right place on the map.