Search function not working

I'm moving this thread from the Geocaching.com Website Bug Reports and Feature Suggestions forum to the "How do I....." forum.

In passing, let me summarize three ways to bring up a specific cache listing by GC Code -- whether or not archived.

1. Use the "old search" as Pup Patrol noted above.

2. Use the "new search" and type the GC Code into the main search box. You'll then be asked whether you wish to go directly to that cache page, or see a list of all caches in a radius from that cache as a centerpoint.

3. Go to the Geocaching.com homepage (while logged in) and type the GC Code into the search box on the right side of the screen, under "Search for Nearby Geocaches."

I'd add a #4 option, which is to use the direct URL -- http://coord.info/GCxxxxx (where GCxxxxx is whatever GC code one's interested in)

I'm moving this thread from the Geocaching.com Website Bug Reports and Feature Suggestions forum to the "How do I....." forum.

In passing, let me summarize three ways to bring up a specific cache listing by GC Code -- whether or not archived.

1. Use the "old search" as Pup Patrol noted above.

2. Use the "new search" and type the GC Code into the main search box. You'll then be asked whether you wish to go directly to that cache page, or see a list of all caches in a radius from that cache as a centerpoint.

3. Go to the Geocaching.com homepage (while logged in) and type the GC Code into the search box on the right side of the screen, under "Search for Nearby Geocaches."

I wasn't able to get correct results using method #2. I tested it using both an archived and active cache. From the attached image, I got the same results whether selecting the search radius or the single cache (red box) option. When I used GC12, I got 241 results using both options. When I used an archived cache, I got the same results using both options (and neither of those options included the archived cache). Bug? I'd think that the single cache option would just be an alias for the coord.info link, but doesn't seem to be happening.

gc-search-view.jpg

I wasn't able to get correct results using method #2. I tested it using both an archived and active cache. From the attached image, I got the same results whether selecting the search radius or the single cache (red box) option. When I used GC12, I got 241 results using both options. When I used an archived cache, I got the same results using both options (and neither of those options included the archived cache). Bug? I'd think that the single cache option would just be an alias for the coord.info link, but doesn't seem to be happening.

That is, indeed, a bug. Thanks for noticing and reporting. We will fix it as soon as possible.

That is, indeed, a bug. Thanks for noticing and reporting. We will fix it as soon as possible.

I thought that used work. I'm pretty sure I remember testing it when the dropdown list was added to go directly to a cache listing.

Here is another way to do it. I went to a cache listing (Mingo, in my case) and added it as a bookmark to the bookmark bar in my browser. The URL shows up like this: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC30_mingo

Then I can just type over "GC30_mingo" with any GC code (including one for an archived cache). It's not necessary to include the cache name: just the GC code is all that is necessary.

I thought that used work. I'm pretty sure I remember testing it when the dropdown list was added to go directly to a cache listing.

Here is another way to do it. I went to a cache listing (Mingo, in my case) and added it as a bookmark to the bookmark bar in my browser. The URL shows up like this: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC30_mingo

Then I can just type over "GC30_mingo" with any GC code (including one for an archived cache). It's not necessary to include the cache name: just the GC code is all that is necessary.

Easier yet is to use the direct URL -- http://coord.info/GCxxxxx (where GCxxxxx is whatever GC code one's interested in). "Coord.info" is much easier to remember. :D

The fix for this bug has now been released. You should once again be able to use the new search's GC code dropdown option to go directly to the page for a specific cache, including archived caches. Let us know if you continue to see problems. Thanks!