Why are the GC codes so hard to read

Matt_B_Good

I don't understand it. I still have some older print outs of older geocaches I haven't found yet. On them the GC code is large and dark, very easy to read. Now they are small in the corner and we have a hard time reading them. I prefer the print outs vs going paperless because you can write notes and such on them and it trains you to have a pen handy. I have messaged geocaching several times over this and it was basically a tough luck response. Anyone else have this issue?

It's slightly smaller than the geocache name. And going paperless really isn't that big of a deal. With GPS units, and even the apps, you can make notes right on them. And for having a pen handy, it's part of caching, so you should have it. And anyway everyone should carry a pen anyway.

I don't understand it. I still have some older print outs of older geocaches I haven't found yet. On them the GC code is large and dark, very easy to read. Now they are small in the corner and we have a hard time reading them. I prefer the print outs vs going paperless because you can write notes and such on them and it trains you to have a pen handy. I have messaged geocaching several times over this and it was basically a tough luck response. Anyone else have this issue?

I stopped printing out cache pages a long time ago. Too much wasted paper and ink.

What I do now is create a Notepad file. I include the GC code, the cache name, the coordinates, the D/T rating, the cache size, any USEFUL information from the cache description and previous logs and the decrypted hint.

Printing out entire cache pages was just too much waste and hassle. Now, I pick and choose what useful information I need to print out.

Depending on the amount of information, I can fit quite a few caches on one page.

If it's an Earthcache, I'll include the questions needing answers.

As for the size of the GC code on the cache page...never noticed a change. If it has changed, then it happened a while ago.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

People print?

Highlight/copy/paste...my handwriting is beyond redemption now.

:D

I printed a few multi-caches when I first started caching, so I could fill-in the answers for various questions and work out the formulas for calculating final coords. I did this once, then realized how much extraneous stuff would be included and how many extra tree branches I was consuming by all that paper. All I really needed was the cache description, so now I do something similar to what Pup Patrol described.

I have a couple Word doc's where I type the GC Code and cache name, and then paste relevant info from the cache description. I can reformat the text if needed and delete stuff that doesn't seem necessary. I usually only do this info for Multi or Earth caches, and so my doc is only a few pages long. For EC's, I often add additional line breaks between questions so I have more room for notes. When I periodically edit the doc, then I delete text for the caches I've found.

I print cache descriptions for puzzle caches too, if those puzzles are crosswords, word searches, jigsaw puzzles, etc. It's just not feasible to solve such things in soft-copy.

The modern world discriminates against the visually handicapped. I guess all the techies are young kids? Make the fonts smaller and smaller: that's the modern world. Who cares if the elderly cannot read them? Move everything to the top of the screen, where those with bifocals cannot read them.

Unfortunately, that's the modern world.

Are you using one of the three "Print" links just below the coordinates? That gives a print-formatted page with great big GC codes, eg and I quote,

GC64V92

(I'm using a current version of Firefox; your mileage may vary.)

I just checked the CSS, and it says the text is 197%, which is approximately 24 pt.

In IE11, it's very readable. I'd be surprised if very many people had trouble reading it when printed out at that size.

I don't understand it. I still have some older print outs of older geocaches I haven't found yet. On them the GC code is large and dark, very easy to read. Now they are small in the corner and we have a hard time reading them.

I'm using Chrome, and the GC number is nearly twice the size of the cache title (Much like what Viajero Perdido posted). The only text larger is THE "GEOCACHING.COM" in the upper left corner. Others report the same in IE. I'd almost bet you are doing something wrong.

But except in unusual circumstances, I don't print anything any more. It's all recycled electrons for me.

Edited by AustinMN

Are you using one of the three "Print" links just below the coordinates?

I'd forgotten about the print links, and I'll bet the OP forgot he used them with the older printouts, too. I never use them anymore, but, then, I usually print cache pages 4 to a sheet, so it's safe to say I don't have a problem with small print.

I printed a few multi-caches when I first started caching, so I could fill-in the answers for various questions and work out the formulas for calculating final coords. I did this once, then realized how much extraneous stuff would be included and how many extra tree branches I was consuming by all that paper. All I really needed was the cache description, so now I do something similar to what Pup Patrol described.

If I plan ahead of time, I'll print complex multis, virtuals, and earthcaches. But, yeah, I always do a print preview and only print the first page or two so I only get the description. And, as I already mentioned, I print multiple pages per sheet to keep everything on a single page. (And I've got even more options now that I have a printer that can print on both sides.)

Are you using one of the three "Print" links just below the coordinates? That gives a print-formatted page with great big GC codes, eg and I quote,

GC64V92

(I'm using a current version of Firefox; your mileage may vary.)

This was helpful. No I wasn't I just printed it off. It looks a lot better that way. I like printing them it gives me something tangible to work with. I use a laser printer so it doesn't use alot of ink, I have literally been on the same ink for 3 years and the paper I reuse junk mail and the like. So ya I like using paper. To each his own I guess.

To all the comments mocking printing: visually impaired people exist, and some of them are geocachers. Although my Garmin 62st is able to save long cache descriptions and pictures, because of the small screen it's just a fall back for me. I wonder how many of the critics ride their bike instead of using the car when going on a hunt.

To all the comments mocking printing: visually impaired people exist, and some of them are geocachers. Although my Garmin 62st is able to save long cache descriptions and pictures, because of the small screen it's just a fall back for me. I wonder how many of the critics ride their bike instead of using the car when going on a hunt.

Oops. You're right of course. Some folks do need to print the cache info and more, perhaps. I started with my trusty 60Cx and moved up to the 60CSx. I always printed the map page showing each cache I wanted to go after. I would plan my route, add notes, and number each cache in the order I found them, right on the page. I really enjoyed doing that. Then my 62s came along (and subsequent receivers) which all had the ability to store all the info I'd normally print off. I enjoyed reading, on this forum, the great tech tips for the receivers I own, and then smart phones came along. So printing, for most at least, is a thing of the past and those nifty tech tips seem to be scarcer now that phones tend to "do it all".

The modern world discriminates against the visually handicapped. I guess all the techies are young kids? Make the fonts smaller and smaller: that's the modern world. Who cares if the elderly cannot read them? Move everything to the top of the screen, where those with bifocals cannot read them.

Unfortunately, that's the modern world.

Use Ctrl/+ to enlarge the screen. Easy.

But the OP is talking about paper printouts. I think I printed out maybe a couple dozen cache pages before coming up with a simple shorthand method of writing out the GC#, D/T rating, coords, and anything else necessary. Inkjet carts are too expensive. Even someone without a paperless GPS or phone can still do that much, if the normally printed cache page is unreadable.

Just curious... Do the current Garmin units have the accessibility features - large text, magnify screen, etc. - that we can almost take for granted on smartphones?

Quoted from here

The 62 does not have a touchscreen, but the visibility is obviously much better than the Oregon / Dakota screens, with somewhat lower resolution than the Oregons. While the screen size is smaller, the data presented is actually a little big bigger than on the Oregon, but less of the map is shown because of the smaller screen.

The 62s has a 2.6 inch diagonally measured screen and is listed as a 65K TFT Transflective, with 160X240 resolution.

Despite of my age you may call me an old fart, but I still prefer using my GPSr and printouts. I don't like touchscreens at all. My phone is a Sonim XP3.

Edited by Rebore

Not everybody uses a smart phone with gps capabilities making print outs very handy. For that matter, not everyone has a cell phone -- it is quite possible to manage your life without one. And if you're an occasional cacher those print outs can be shuffled for today's trip and placed in the order for your route that day. Caches not tried (or not found) that day can have printouts returned to the file (a box in the trunk) for later attempts which is especially handy for impromptu trips. And those caches found can have notes entered on the print out about the search for later posting at home of the found it log. Unless you prefer just seeing those "tftc" posts.

And it's funny how the holier than thou people complain about the way someone else does something will complain when someone else pulls their holier than thou preferences on them. For example, how much pollution and climate change are you folks causing by having to charge your smart phones every day or even twice a day as some folks have complained about? All them little electrons coming out of the wall outlet have a carbon foot print. Some of you may be doing solar or wind power for that but it's definitely a minority of you and those things have their own foot print of issues if you care to look.

We all have a way that works for us. I don't see any reason I should get on my high horse and complain about the way someone else operates short of illegality of the method. I realize that puts me in the minority.

Why is everyone rippin' on the poor guy for printing out pages? Didn't yo mamas teach you "live and let live"? I don't have an answer to your question, MattBG, but keep on printin'! :D :D :D

RIGHT ON: Support your local logger and timber fallers ... PRINT, PRINT PRINT.

I belly ached about how tiny the print for GC Codes was on the paid-for app that was finally addressed THENNNNNN they "light shaded" the GC Code on the printed pages. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

TONGUE IN CHEEK HERE: >>>>>>> Discrimination to those of us with older eyes ... Lets get a bunch of us aged relics together and picket those "yung-uns" with stellar vision at the LillyPad. Just kidding. LOL, LOL, LOL

Support your local logger and timber fallers ... PRINT, PRINT PRINT.

Edited by humboldt flier