Mysterious cache near Let There Be Light??

Rygel

Guys,

Something really weird has happened. I went to Let There Be Light and tramped around the woods for quite awhile.

I finally found a cache in really bad shape. I assumed it was the right one but etoast66 (who was there yesterday) said its not the right one.

Anyone have any ideas where this one might have come from?

You can check my log on the Let There Be Light page for a pic.

Thanks.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Interesting find, Rygel! Just courious, what does it say on the lid, and could you make out anything in the logbook? If it was a geocache, I'd guess it was probably placed by someone who had not searched for a cache yet, so they didn't know there was already one there. That is actually what happened with the virtual that you can see from that cache. I doubt that virt would have been approved under the current rules, the mystery cache was probably declined approval and never reclaimed. Of course, without knowing what the container you found said, its all just a guess. It could also be a letterbox, although I don't remember seeing any letterboxes listed there.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

Looks like you found the http://www.geocities.com/martianmaggot_K9/somewhere_boxes.html. Hope you stamped up or signed the log icon_smile.gif. You might also want to http://www.geocities.com/martianmaggot_K9/ to let him know about the condition of the box.

Check our http://www.letterboxing.org/.

Good catch, Ekitt10! Since it's listed as a mystery letterbox, letterboxing.org doesn't list the city, and it doesn't appear in the North Jersey listings, which I do occasionally check, especially when I'm considering placing a new cache. Odd that "mystery" letterboxes only show up in the South Jersey listings. I guess a letterboxer figures that out though.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The thing is a total loss. I didn't read the lid, totally. It said something about not being litter and to leave it alone.

The logbook was encased in ice so there was no reading it.

I'll have to go back and find the real one!!

I was all over that woods! My GPS was all over the place too.

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

The thing is a total loss. I didn't read the lid, totally. It said something about not being litter and to leave it alone.

The logbook was encased in ice so there was no reading it.

I'll have to go back and find the real one!!

I was all over that woods! My GPS was all over the place too.

Go get that thing! icon_smile.gif

Do email the letterbox owner and explain what happened and the condition its in, letterboxes are geocaches grandparents.

I emailed the owner. Hopefully, he can go out and rescue it.

Can anyone give me hints to where the real Let There Be Light is????

I searched that whole woods! My GPS had me way back in the woods. But I have a feeling it was a lot closer to Tower.

Thanks.

quote:

Email for letterbox owner bounced back! icon_frown.gif

I just tried a few email addresses that I turned up. I will let everyone know if I hear back. I also directed her to this thread.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:

Can anyone give me hints to where the real Let There Be Light is????

Egads. I visited that cache so long ago, the monument was a gaslamp. icon_wink.gif

And Mopar still had waterwings on his PWC. icon_wink.gif

I seem to remember the coordinates were off a little ... maybe 30 feet?

Yeah, seriously! I don't remember a whole lot except that I did it at night, and gps kept telling me left side of trail, and i *think* i eventually found it to the right, entering from a trailhead on the sidestreet.

The Letterbox was/is closer to the tower and museum. The GeoCache is back in the woods a bit.

The best route to take and find it is to park along the side street at the dead end. You'll be a little less then 1000 ft from the tower and museum. Take the trail following the coordinates. When we were there in the summer, the GPS was putting ground zero was on the south side of the trail, however, you'll need to continue on the trail once it loops around and head up the hill a bit. The cache is actually on the North/West side of the trail.

It's only a few paces off that trail in a great hiding spot.

As for the letterbox, I'll post something on the letterbox group list.

It is funny about the mystery boxes, I guess since there are many more boxes in North Jersey, they placed the Pines Barrens/ Souther Boxes and Mystery Boxes all on one page. The LetterBox org website need a lot to be desired.

I know we are spoiled by the Geocaching home page, and I often wonder if that's why letterboxing hasn't taken off as well as geocaching.

It sure gets you using your brain a bit though ... but that subject for another thread ... I bet someone can Markwell it icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on March 10, 2003 at 12:49 PM.]

I think I saw where you are talking about. Its on the left side of tower as you are facing the tower?

I saw a truck parked out there when I was rummaging through the woods.

Unfortunatley I didn't see many trails but lots of mud and running water! I hope it dires up soon!

Thanks.

icon_smile.gif

BTW, I also never got a reply from the letterbox owner. I did find a valid email for them. I guess some letterboxers are just as bad at maintenance as some cachers are.

Well, I found it after almost 2 hours. My GPS was all over the place. Of the 3 sets of coords provided in the logs and the original set, 2 were on and the 3rd was way off.

Very well hidden and everything in good shape.

Well hello everyone! KingGroovy here. I'm glad to see some buzz around my cache. It took three of us plus a trek out there myself to solve this one. I just recieved an email from Mopar letting me know about this thread. It was kool to read the log book again. I haven't been there to check on the cache in about a year. lol there hasn't been a reason to. I'm glad this was a false alarm and I think it's quite fitting that Rygel was the first to find it after I confirmed it was still there. You guys gotta watch the gps readings. In the winter they're pretty accurate, but once summer gets here there's a lot of signal bouncing between the gps unit and the leaves from all the trees. Have fun everyone!!