Basic Questions About Garmin Etrex 20

MysteryGuy1

Bear with me, as I'm new to this. I used to only go caching with a friend, using his GPS, so I'm brand new to operating one on my own. I just got the Garmin Etrex 20 and am struggling to learn how it works. Here's where I'm having the most trouble.

I select a cache from the list. I select Go, and I then see a line appear going from my present location to the cache. What exactly am I supposed to do at this point to get the GPS to lock onto the cache and give me details. When I used it over the weekend it was driving me insane because I kept thinking it was locked on to the next cache, but it wasn't.

Thanks for your help.

I select a cache from the list. I select Go, and I then see a line appear going from my present location to the cache. What exactly am I supposed to do at this point to get the GPS to lock onto the cache and give me details.

Not sure what you mean by "lock onto the cache", but at this point the GPSr knows your target cache.

You can zoom in/out of this map view using the up/down buttons on the left side of the unit, and pan across the screen using the joystick.

You can see details of the geocache by pushing the Menu button on the left side of the unit and selecting "View Geocache". This will bring you to a list of options:

--- Log Attempt = use this after you search to indicate Found or Did not find

--- Show Description = shows Diff, Terr, size, and the cache description. Note that the cache description won't exactly match what's seen via the website in cases where there are images or special HTML formatting used.

--- Show Logs = shows some of the recent logs, but does not show all logs for a cache

--- Show Hint = shows the decoded hint that the CO included on the cache page. Will say 'No Hint Available' if the CO did not include a hint.

If you select one of these and then want to go back to the list, then use the Back button on the upper right side of the unit. For example, if you select "Show Hint" and then want to go to "Show Logs".

From the map view, where the line shows the location of the cache, you can toggle through various screens using the Back button. One of the screens will be the 'arrow' that points you toward the cache. The screens you see can vary depending on how your GPSr is set-up.

Sorry, being new I figured it would take a few attempts to get my problem explained.

Once I select Go, the GPS does indeed show where my cache is and draws a line from my present location, and I can press the menu button to get details. However, even at this point the map does not show how far away I am. I know there's a way to get a display where the name of the cache appears above the map along with its distance from me, but I can't figure out what it is.

On the main screen

Go to Setup

Go to Map

Go to Data Fields

Select 4 small fields

COME OUT OF THE SET UP MENU

Go to the main map page

Hit the menu button

Choose Change Data field

You can then choose what you want.

We have GPS ACCURACY, POINTER, DIST TO NEXT AND DESTINATION

Forgive me if you already figured this part out, but with respect to the line:

Holding your GPSr up, start moving and see what happens to the line. If it swings over to the right, then turn right. Try to line yourself up with the line as you move. It's a big help if you are on the move and viewing the line. Eventually the line should shrink as you get closer. Use the left middle button to zoom down as you get closer. (The left top button zooms out.)

whh0 has already explained how to add "data fields" to the map display. I usually only use 2 small fields, rather than 4 -- that's entirely a user preference thing. As is the contents of the fields. For the geocaching profile (your 20 can have different profiles based on the kinds of activities you use it for), one of the data fields displays the distance to the destination. For me, the other field displays the GPSr accuracy (in feet or meters). If you switch it to 4 data fields you can add other interesting things, such as altitude and battery remaining, etc. But then you lose some map real estate.

At the risk of being a pain in the neck, I have to say that I still haven't seen anything that answers my question. I do appreciate everyone's input, but unfortunately this is one of those problems that's not easily explained without a visual aid.

When I was out caching on Sunday, I would tell the GPS what cache to look for. The line would appear on the map, and indeed it got smaller as I approached the cache. However, and this is the problem, the display above the map only showed the coordinates and a distance that was not correct. For example, at one point it said the cache was 400 feet away. That number never changed, even when we were close enough to touch it.

Somehow, once or twice, I got it working correctly. It would display the name of the cache and the correct distance above the map and the distance would adjust itself accordingly. But I have no idea whatsoever how I got there, and I can't replicate it. This had nothing to do with data fields. I followed the above instructions for adding data fields and it looks totally different from what I'm talking about.

I've been trying it again and again from home. I'll target a cache that's 2 miles from my house, it will show on the map complete with the line, but the distance will say 45 feet. It's driving me nuts!

Edited by MysteryGuy1

OK for your question all you need to do is select the cache you want just like what your saying. Once the pink line comes up just click back button which should bring you to main screen just scroll up to compass click it. Which should bring up compass page now start walking the etrex 20 model you have to be moving for compass to work.

I've been trying it again and again from home. I'll target a cache that's 2 miles from my house, it will show on the map complete with the line, but the distance will say 45 feet. It's driving me nuts!

I'm not really familiar with the Etrex 20 as I use the GPSMap 64s, but a lot of times, if I have used the arrow keys to move the pointer on the screen, the display will show distance between the pointer and my current location. The distance between pointer and your current location could be overriding the data display that would show you distance to the geocache. On the GPSMap 64s, I have to hit the "Quit" button to reset the pointer to my current location so it doesn't show the distance to pointer. You might see if the "back" button does the same thing on your GPS.

I've got it now. Windstorm, you've described exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. The display above the map at any given time tells me the distance between myself and wherever the pointer happens to be. So if I place the pointer on the cache, I get the info I need. Seems obvious in retrospect, but I was somehow expecting the machine to do more work than it was. Thanks everyone.

OK for your question all you need to do is select the cache you want just like what your saying. Once the pink line comes up just click back button which should bring you to main screen just scroll up to compass click it. Which should bring up compass page now start walking the etrex 20 model you have to be moving for compass to work.

WE use Etrex 20s and that's the way we do it.

The back button is your friend.

The display above the map at any given time tells me the distance between myself and wherever the pointer happens to be. So if I place the pointer on the cache, I get the info I need. Seems obvious in retrospect, but I was somehow expecting the machine to do more work than it was.

I'm glad you found a workaround. I think the machine can probably do what you were expecting, but it may take some experimenting with the settings and data fields. Showing distance to destination is something that I've wanted to get set up on my GPS, but I haven't had time to play with the settings to make it happen.

Looking briefly through the manual, I would experiment with the data fields "distance to destination" and "distance to next". They may work differently for waypoints vs routes and one may work when the other doesn't.

Has anybody here ever tried selection the Geocaching option under Data Fields? It's under the Dashboard menu, and seems to do exactly what I was asking about above. I stumbled upon it almost by accident.

We have Geocaching dashboard setup on our Etrex 20s. When map is on display it always displays the nearest cache and its distance. You can then select that cache to search for if you wish to. We almost always use the compass feature when seaching. There are quite a few features hidden in the etrex, its just a matter of trying everything so see what it does. I like the 'Units' where I can select metric for metres/kilometres etc or, when I'm sailing, I can select 'Nautical' for nautical miles or knots speed which then reflects in the Trip Meter feauture.