How do I log

shlomie

How should I log a missing cache, if I did find the container hardware.

Log a Did Not Find. Explain what you saw in your log, and the cache owner will see it. You found only something that may have been a cache, but without Cache Owner verification, it's likely just litter.

If you have a cell phone with you (or camera) post a photo of what you found. That will help the cache owner, or the reviewer if the cache eventually needs to be archived.

I think the most important thing is to post the Needs Maintenance. Some cache owners don't monitor their regular email but will notice when a Needs Maintenance post comes through in their Inbox.

Did you write your name on the paper log? If no, log a DNF and if you're sure that you found parts of the cache, log a NM too.

If you are sure you found it and there is no log, say you found it but also say it needs maintanence and what you found of it. Hope this helped!

So I guess the answer is "depends on who you ask".

At the end of the day, you can log as a DNF (and an optional NM) or a Found It (and an optional NM) but it's up to the CO whether or not the log will "stick".

Log a Did Not Find. Explain what you saw in your log, and the cache owner will see it. You found only something that may have been a cache, but without Cache Owner verification, it's likely just litter.

+1

Not all containers are from caches. It's not uncommon to find pieces of 'food storage containers' around a GZ location. These could be remnants of caches, but they could also just be garbage or the remnants or a letterbox (not listed on GC.com) container. Unless there is a log sheet amongst the mess, then how does one know that they've actually found the cache and that the actual cache isn't still hiding nearby? This is part of why my personal philosophy is to not claim a 'found it' on a cache without signing the log. YMMV.

In the OP's case, I'd log a DNF and an NM. If a picture of what was found is available, then I'd send that to the CO as well.

Let me clarify a bit. This cache used to hang in a tree. From the pictures I can see that it was a bison tube, attached with a green zip tie. I found the green zip tie in the tree, with the ring that held the bison tube. So I know that I found the remnants of the cache, not some discarded trash. Obviously, I couldn't sign an actual log. I know I can do whatever I feel like, but my question is, what do you think would be the ethical thing to do (besides logging a NM)?

Since I cannot read your mind and know what you know like Maurice can, I'll add my two cents. :laughing:

If you go over to the thread, "Found it = Didn't find it" here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=66648 and read through it, you'll find many examples where other cachers have posted such cases as yours. In other words, many folks think it's wrong to post a Found It when you've only found part of the cache container. (On the other hand, there are also people that post Found It in such cases, showing that many folks also think it's OK to post a Found It. Ha!)

Personally, I think finding part of a cache (and not finding the log to sign) means I didn't find the cache. I would log a DNF followed by a Needs Maintenance log. If nothing is done in a month or so, I'd then follow up with a Needs Archived log to get the reviewer's attention. (Reviewers don't get notified on NM logs, but they do on NA logs.)

Edited by TriciaG

Since I cannot read your mind and know what you know like Maurice can, I'll add my two cents. :laughing:

Not mind reading but logic. There was no container and no logbook. No way you can "find" something that isn't there.

Nevertheless, some cache owners will allow someone to log a found it if photographic evidence is provided of the damaged container or hiding spot. Some will even allow the seeker of the cache to hide another container in the same spot and call it a find. It's not as black and white as you make it sound.

Nevertheless, some cache owners will allow someone to log a found it if photographic evidence is provided of the damaged container or hiding spot. Some will even allow the seeker of the cache to hide another container in the same spot and call it a find. It's not as black and white as you make it sound.

Every time a CO offered me to log a missing cache as found I declined. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Every time a CO offered me to log a missing cache as found I declined. Wouldn't have it any other way.

That's your choice and I've also declined the offer as well. The point is not everyone else plays the game the same way.