Logging benchmarks

Red with black spots

I just found my first benchmark. Actually I found 3 disks in the same area. Are they considered one or three separate benchmarks?

How do I log them?

Thanks.

Joana

Each disk is its own benchmark.

Note that some benchmarks are listed on the geocaching.com site, and others aren't. I've been to a location with three benchmarks; two were listed, and the other wasn't.

When I log benchmarks, I take a photo so I can verify that the lettering matches the listing on the site. Once I'm sure I'm viewing the correct listing, I click the "Log This Benchmark" link in the top left corner. Once I post the log, I attach my photo to my log.

the benchmarks that can be logged on Geocaching.com are found here on the Benchmark page - http://www.geocaching.com/mark/

and from the Benchmark advanced search (often easier if you're starting with coords)

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/nearest.aspx

Many benchmarks exist that are NOT part of this particular database. The benchmark database on Geocaching.com is a year 2000 copy of the NGS database.

I happened on a benchmark this week, while looking for a nearby cache. It's a WSDOT (Washington State Department of Transportation) survey disk near a pier in Seattle. I found it on WSDOT's registry but can't find it on Geocaching.com. I have a feeling that it's not part of the GC database. Does anyone know how to ask Groundspeak to include WSDOT's registry so these can be logged?

See http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/monument/search.aspx for the search tool I used to ID the disk I found.

Washington state benchmarks that are not in Groundspeak's database can be posted on Waymarking.com in the U.S. Benchmarks category.

You can already log in to Waymarking.com with the same username/password you use for geocaching.com and this forum. It's part of the same company.

A benchmark you post or log on Waymarking.com won't be included in your geocaching stats. But you've already done the research... Did you take pictures?

The Benchmarking Data Base is from the National Geodetic Survey Data Base from 2001. NGS DATASHEET PAGE . Have you checked there to see if WSDOT benchmarks are listed there? If so, you can log them there. If they are not listed there, then updating the Benchmark Data base would not help you at all. It would certainly be nice if Ground Speak were to update the Benchmark Data Base, but few if any updates have been done there since it was set up. So, I'm not holding my breath.