Lost ability to download to device after upgrade to windows 10

hunter51

Presumably you are using the communicator. There are numerous threads about problems with Windows 10, mainly because there are security problems with the underlying code so it is being eliminated.

I have not tried it recently so I won't comment on what has or has not worked. But as long as the computer recognizes your gpsr as a device, you can use the GPX button to save the cache information directly to the geocaches folder in your unit. You can also load pocket queries into your unit the same way.

This Thread discusses the problem and there are reports of being able to get the communicator to work.

Edited by geodarts

I have the Explorist GC unit. Before downloading Windows 10 I was able to only download cache information using Internet Explorer. I have tried a lot of options so far and I am still not able to download. Any ideas?

It's so much more reliable to send files manually (plus gives more control to file management of the GPSr), I don't bother with the Communicator anymore. But having instant access to "Send To GPS" has its charms. :anibad:

Due to the posts all the time around here that it stops working upon upgrading to Win 10, I tried this trick, and got it working:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334137&view=findpost&p=5536653

You must switch to IE11, you cannot use Communicator in "Edge", but IE11 is part of Win10. Save it as a shortcut. This is not the only way to get Communicator working in Win10, but it's one way to do so without installing other things.

The feature creates a security risk in web browsers, and that's why it's going away. It may stop working again at any time, and at some point, it will be too much work for everybody to keep it working. Get familiar with saving the GPX file manually. If you switched to that plan, you'd have loaded the cache by now. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion